Options

Google Chrome problems

swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
edited May 5, 2009 in Bug Reporting
Anytime I open up a gallery using the google chrome browser I have to click refresh every time I open a gallery before I can click on any photos, click on the arrows, etc. Also, the control buttons (Add photos, tools, etc) also don't show up when I click on a gallery until I click refresh once. I have tried this on 3 different computers and have the exact same thing happen on all of them when using google chrome.

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2009
    Hi, we can look - but I'm sorry, Google Chrome is not one of our officially supported browsers, which are:

IE6/7/8
    Firefox for Win/Mac
    Safari for Win/Mac
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
    edited April 3, 2009
    Anytime I open up a gallery using the google chrome browser I have to click refresh every time I open a gallery before I can click on any photos, click on the arrows, etc. Also, the control buttons (Add photos, tools, etc) also don't show up when I click on a gallery until I click refresh once. I have tried this on 3 different computers and have the exact same thing happen on all of them when using google chrome.
    Just curious - what release of the browser are you using?

The reason I ask is that I'm not seeing any of the problems you're reporting on Google Chrome. I'm running version 1.0.154.53 on Vista. I looked at my site both logged in and logged out, and I looked at your site (obviously logged out).

--- Denise
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2009
    I only use Chrome on gmail, and occasionally on Facebook. It still lacks tons of convenience features of IE to make it a default browser...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2009
    Thanks for the quick replies.
    I can check on the version on the various computers.
    Is there a time when Google Chrome will become one of the supported browsers? I only ask because it seems to be gaining in popularity around where I live. As with many google-related things, I think it will continue to snag up a lot of the market share in browser use. I certainly prefer its conveniences to the others. But, I guess I will go back to the other browsers when working on my site.
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2009
    Anytime I open up a gallery using the google chrome browser I have to click refresh every time I open a gallery before I can click on any photos, click on the arrows, etc.
    I've experienced and previously reported similar problems with Safari. I have no such problems with any other site! ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2009
    I've experienced and previously reported similar problems with Safari. I have no such problems with any other site! ne_nau.gif

Our CEO just blogged about this:
    http://blogs.smugmug.com/don/2009/03/26/nasty-safari-bug-not-fixed-since-december/
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2009
    Andy - I wasn't intending to cast any aspersions on SmugMug, no way, just to indicate this isn't only a Chrome problem!
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2009
    Andy - I wasn't intending to cast any aspersions on SmugMug, no way, just to indicate this isn't only a Chrome problem!
    Of course, I didn't think otherwise at all :D
  • Options
    TheBradyTheBrady Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited May 4, 2009
    Sorry to bump up an old thread but...

Just wanted to voice my hope for Google Chrome one day to become a supported browser. It is such a shame to see such a beautiful website not work in what has quickly become my favorite browser.

I'd rather not have to open up IE for just one page....
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2009
    TheBrady wrote:
    Sorry to bump up an old thread but...

Just wanted to voice my hope for Google Chrome one day to become a supported browser. It is such a shame to see such a beautiful website not work in what has quickly become my favorite browser.

I'd rather not have to open up IE for just one page....
    Specifics? What's not working for you? ear.gif

And you don't need to open IE. You can use Firefox. or Safari (Win or mac!)
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2009
    Chrome looks very promising. However I expect (and hope) SmugMug will not divert its development resources away from more compelling priorities until and unless Chrome is not limited to just Windows- and Vista-based computers.
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Specifics? What's not working for you? ear.gif

And you don't need to open IE. You can use Firefox. or Safari (Win or mac!)

EDIT:

I deleted most of what I wrote, because after playing wit it, it really wasn't as bad as I thought. Most of my issues were with the site stability issues of today/yesterday.

My one thing that bothers me is in chrome, if I make the window maximized the bottom row of thumbnails extends off the bottom of the screen, and it just doesn't look right.

IE opts to make the main picture smaller and add an extra column of thumbnails, chrome must report the height of the window to the smugmug javascripts differently.

Here is IE looking good:
    528659520_hLRDt-L.png

And here is Google Chrome looking decent:
    528661021_rpATN-L.png
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2009
    One final image for ya....

528669215_F373j-L.png

Any images vertically aligned actually run off the screen a few pixels. Obviously something like 3 pixels isn't a lot, but hopefully there would be a quick fix for this.

Also, yes I am running Windows 7. I have however tried in Google Chrome in Windows XP and the behavior was exactly the same. So I couldn't attribute it to the later Win7 taskbar.
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2009
    TheBrady wrote:
    chrome must report the height of the window to the smugmug javascripts differently.

Likely, yes.