Baby Pictures w/ a question!

jmaccs64jmaccs64 Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
edited April 13, 2009 in People
My wife and I just had our first baby. His name is Jack and I have been taking some pictures lately.

I seem to have a problem, although some may view it as an opportunity. I have been taking pictures as a hobby for a while now, just randoms, street photos, just as a hobby. Since I have been posting my sons pictures on the web, people are coming out of the woodwork asking me to shoot their kids, and it is a little nerve wrecking. I don't know if they should trust me, because I don't know if I even trust myself. I mean with my kid, it's easy, if I screw up I can just get a do-over. So here are a few pictures I have taken over the last few weeks. Please comment on ANYTHING, framing, lighting, processing...ANYTHING.

It's 10 pictures, please comment on any that you want, I know it is a lot, but any criticism will be extremely helpful.

Thanks,
Joe
1.504839365_oguro-M.jpg
2.504839237_ZAtzA-M.jpg
3.504839742_Dr4aY-M.jpg
4.504839168_khPTL-M.jpg
5.504838641_w3ZKL-M.jpg
6.504839648_brpT4-M.jpg
7.504838563_s5CVY-M.jpg
8.504838975_QqEgk-M.jpg
9.504840103_FKJg5-M.jpg
10.504839979_kifNk-M.jpg

Comments

• ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2009
    Babies
    Congratulations on your new little one. They are so sweet. They are also hard subjects to photograph. Unlike dogs who know sit and stay, they squirm. Light bothers them. And they "leak" at the most inopportune time, like when they are naked on a blanket and you are trying to get that baby butt must have shot.

I think that for a start, you took some nice images for yourself. There is so much to photography that it can take years of practice to get it and get it right. Learn all you can about the tecniques of shooting. Dgrin is a good place to get there. Something in your own post struck me - you were not sure you were ready. You might not be yet but with a lot of practice and study you can get there. Take some local classes. Learn about babies if that is what you want to shoot. Learn about lots of other things light lighting. Learn about business and if you are shooting kids be sure you have insurance because if you drop the baby or the camera on the baby or someone falls over your camera bag, you want to be sure your are protected.

When you have all that then you will get the trust part down. And you will know that you have done what your are supposed to do to do it the right way, as a business, with the proper skills.

Some general comments about these : Watch that they are in focus. They eyes are out of focus. I think that your depth of field is too close on a couple. Give some space - the crops are tight and in some instances you cut off parts - like in one his feet are cut off.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2009
    Nice shots! Nice lighting, I see why people are asking you to shoot their babies too. I agree that some attention needs to be paid to focus.

#2 bothers me because the window reflection in the eyes makes the pupil disappear, you might be able to improve it with a little photoshop.
    I really liked the one in the plastic hospital bassinett, didn't think a nice photo could even be done in one those ugly things, yours works.
    I am off today to join my daughter and SIL for the birth of our first grandchild, you have given me some inspiration! thumb.gif
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2009
    These are very interesting. I actually like the shallow depth of field in these, and the softness doesn't bother me. They feel very intimate. If I didn't know you were new to this, I would have thought these were just artistic choices. While it's important to learn as much as you can about lighting, etc. so you can execute the shot you are trying to achieve, don't be afraid to have your own style. Sometimes I get bored with the typical portraits, and I find these refreshing.

I'd love to see you post more.

Caroline
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2009
    For not being sure of yourself you've got a great start here. As ChatKat stated.....here is a good place to start and find info. Just read, and copy till it becomes natural then you can change it to your style.
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2009
    Images 1 through 4 do nothing for me. They're just kinda ordinary to me. Image 5, 7 and 9 are really good. Image 8 would be better but the composition is messed up by cropping off the bottom there. And not all that fond of 10 either.

You have a good start but its hit or miss at this point. There's a big difference between your good shots and your bad ones. I'd keep playing around, finding what you like what you don't, learn to get a higher percentage of keepers.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu