MPE-65 Attemps...success?

Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
edited April 4, 2009 in Holy Macro
So I tried using this lens a few months ago, and the results were horrible. Since then I've learned a lot, got some great tips from a few members here and made another attempt. I had a project for my B&W film class on "Ambiguity". I chose to photograph food in an up close way as to not be able to tell what it is. Results were great, I was really happy with them. Anyways, since I had this lens for a week, I used it outside of the class project. The follow are some photos I took with a Canon 50D, MPE-65, 580 EX II and 420 EX as a slave.

Ranging from about 1.5x - 5x, here are the resutls:

#1 (Pear Blossom)-
504878062_rfGwz-L-1.jpg

#2 (Pear Blossom)-
504856737_ysxHt-L-1.jpg

#3 (Cherry Blossom)-
504859652_tE32o-L-1.jpg

#4 (Asparagus)-
504874653_C8jL9-L-1.jpg

#5 (Dew Drop on a Flower Leaf)-
504869896_7qjRw-L-1.jpg

#6 (Dew Drops on Grass (I think))-
504866594_LeHPV-L-1.jpg

#7 (Dew Drops on Daffodil Pedals)-
504863015_4vMCZ-L-1.jpg

Any and all C&C is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2009
    Good series of shots - esp like #3. Looks like you are getting on well with the lens.
    You have also seen no doubt how the lens shows up every speck of dust on the sensor - yours needs a clean (#5)
    Brian V.
  • Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2009
    Good series of shots - esp like #3. Looks like you are getting on well with the lens.
    You have also seen no doubt how the lens shows up every speck of dust on the sensor - yours needs a clean (#5)
    Brian V.

Thank you. I did notice, and was very upset at the amount of dust on my sensor. I just got it back from cleaning today actually, and was rather upset that my lens had to be shipped back today as well. I definitley want to get this lens again and practice some more now that my sensor is clean once again. I was surprised at the amount of dust that was present, but I'm glad I found out sooner than later as I have a model shoot tomorrow.

My favs are 3, 5, 6 and 7. Thanks Brian!
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2009
    So I tried using this lens a few months ago, and the results were horrible. Since then I've learned a lot, got some great tips from a few members here and made another attempt. I had a project for my B&W film class on "Ambiguity". I chose to photograph food in an up close way as to not be able to tell what it is. Results were great, I was really happy with them. Anyways, since I had this lens for a week, I used it outside of the class project. The follow are some photos I took with a Canon 50D, MPE-65, 580 EX II and 420 EX as a slave.

Ranging from about 1.5x - 5x, here are the resutls:

#1 (Pear Blossom)-
    #2 (Pear Blossom)-
    #3 (Cherry Blossom)-
    #4 (Asparagus)-
    #5 (Dew Drop on a Flower Leaf)-
    #6 (Dew Drops on Grass (I think)-
    #7 (Dew Drops on Daffodil Pedals)-

Any and all C&C is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Looking good thumb.gif you are doing very well with your flash too nod.gif
    Sensor dust really shows up when your doing extreme macro's.

For years I was afraid to clean my sensor, but not anymore.

Keep up the good work .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin