Canon 5DMKII Video

RoytpRoytp Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
edited April 5, 2009 in Cameras
HI

What software would be best to edit video from this camera.

I have only done still work in the past.

Does anyone have problems with jerky showing of the video in the UK?
Thank you
Roy Palmer - Digital Images
http://www.digital-images.org.uk/

Comments

• mike1.6mike1.6 Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited April 4, 2009
    HD Editing
    Roytp wrote:
    HI

What software would be best to edit video from this camera.

I have only done still work in the past.

Does anyone have problems with jerky showing of the video in the UK?

+1 on this request. I've heard that there is not much software available to edit these hi-def clip.
  • docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 4, 2009
    If you have a Mac, Final Cut works great. For the PC, Adobe Premiere.

There are others like Vegas etc. but I have never used them.

It just depends what you want to do with the video.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited April 4, 2009
    Be aware that it takes a "very" robust computer to process the video at full resolution without "stuttering". It is considered normal to have the video stutter on slower computers so if it happens it's just an indication that you need faster machine throughput.

It is also normal to have the problem trying to play from a DVD copy of the file so you should always copy/buffer to the hard-drive for best results.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • RoytpRoytp Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited April 4, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Be aware that it takes a "very" robust computer to process the video at full resolution without "stuttering". It is considered normal to have the video stutter on slower computers so if it happens it's just an indication that you need faster machine throughput.

It is also normal to have the problem trying to play from a DVD copy of the file so you should always copy/buffer to the hard-drive for best results.

If I import the file into ProShow Producer it seems to do somethig to it and it plays fine.

I would just like to cut bits off beginig middle and ends type of thing, I don't know if that is too fancy?

Nothing much else.
    Thank you
  • RoytpRoytp Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited April 4, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:

My computer is fairly powerful, I think it is something to do with 30 frames per sec USA 26/28? UK. I knowa nothing!!.
    Thank you
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited April 4, 2009
    Roy,

I believe that the UK is using the PAL video system at 25 frames-per-second. If you have your camera set to record at NTSC (30 fps) standards you would indeed see potentially very shaky video as your computer tries to accommodate the video stream, assuming you are trying to play at PAL standards.

Check your camera menu, the second "wrench", and set your "Video system" to "PAL" for best results on your equipment.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:

I can validate this. I tried to process my vids from the 5D2 on my mac and even with that it was stuttering!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited April 4, 2009
    I tried to process my vids from the 5D2 on my mac and even with that it was stuttering!

Get a real computer. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2009
    ha. ha. Very funny. headscratch.gif

rolleyes1.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Get a real computer. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

I don't know of many computers who can play those movies in full hd at 30fps smoothly. Once you convert (compress) the "RAW" movies from the 5DMkII to another format or using another encoding you will be able to play it smoothly. Even my 2.4Ghz Code2Duo Mac with 4GB RAM can't play it without hickups.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston