Samara~Model session (cc please)

JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
edited April 5, 2009 in People
This is only two of many. I really think it went pretty well. Of course, you all can be the judge of that. :D I would like some CC but be gentle about it. lol This is going to turn into a year long thing so I am going to be able to learn from this session and carry over what I could do differently into the next one.

Bounced flash
504988993_DcG9W-L.jpg

I had an image in my mind and this is pretty close to it. I wanted dramatic lighting and shadow. ? does it work?
504831601_MEZMQ-L.jpg
same photo, just black and white
504989014_ygn7k-L.jpg

Comments

• mud390mud390 Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2009
    I'm no pro, in fact I'm far from it, so take this with a grain of salt. I like the first picture. The lighting and pose are good, but her expression says, "I'm not like this at all." I can see what you were going for on the second/third picture, and I think it turned out better in black and white. Overall, I like these very well.

Kris
  • clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2009
    15524779-Ti.gif with Mud 390. Love #2 and #3
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • nikitynicknikitynick Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited April 4, 2009
    on the #2/#3 shots, i almost with the shadow was more defined, or not there at all. i like the direction your going with it, im a huge fan of "shadowed" portraits, but because the shadow is across her face but very faint, it almost looks like a mistake, personally I would like to see the photo commit to a shadow or not have one. regardless though the shots look great, the photo on the first one is great as far as the overall composition, but the model seems a bit uncomfortable.
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2009
    In #1, she really liked that idea, I do agree though that she looks a bit uncomfortable.

#2, This was the best of the few I took like this. The others were more dramatic in the shadowing however the placement of the shadow caused her nose to look huge and it was unflattering. I really appreciate the feeback. :D
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited April 5, 2009
    Interesting work here, Julie.

I see you growing and experimenting with new methods. COOL!

Joe McNally writes about using straight flash for sharply defined shadows on faces.

The flash needs to be as far away from the subject as possible so that the light source is very small, and the flash is zoomed out as far as it will go to increase the available light and or shadow as much as possible. The gobo ( shadow producer ) can be much closer than the flash itself.

How far was you flash from your subject? I agree that your shadow is not quite deep enough to create the needed drama. You can dial down your ambient light some to increase the contrast from your gobo'd flash also

I agree that the B&W treatment worked better than the color.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2009
    Seems as if everyone wants to comment on the second shot....and while I appreciate what you were aiming for there....I also like the first one.

Improvements?

-Letting her shoulders shrug a bit and her back bend would have helped make her more relaxed.

- Turning the palm of her hand more upward and curling her fingers a bit would have been preferable to the flat back of her hand.

-Crossing her feet opposite this would have eliminated the sight of the bottom of her shoe.

- It may be a tad warm....even for my tastes.

It's still a great shot, and I bet she loves it!thumb.gif
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    Interesting work here, Julie.

I see you growing and experimenting with new methods. COOL!

Joe McNally writes about using straight flash for sharply defined shadows on faces.

The flash needs to be as far away from the subject as possible so that the light source is very small, and the flash is zoomed out as far as it will go to increase the available light and or shadow as much as possible. The gobo ( shadow producer ) can be much closer than the flash itself.

How far was you flash from your subject? I agree that your shadow is not quite deep enough to create the needed drama. You can dial down your ambient light some to increase the contrast from your gobo'd flash also

I agree that the B&W treatment worked better than the color.

Thanks Pathfinder...I'm trying to grow more and more. I don't think I used flash on this one. I think it was straight window light. In what you are explaining, this is one area where I would need to get hands on training. The more people explain about flash/lights etc.....the more i get a little confused. :D

Maybe we can get a group together to talk about flashes and such? ne_nau.gif

I really appreciate the feedback.
    edited April 5, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Seems as if everyone wants to comment on the second shot....and while I appreciate what you were aiming for there....I also like the first one.

Improvements?

-Letting her shoulders shrug a bit and her back bend would have helped make her more relaxed.

- Turning the palm of her hand more upward and curling her fingers a bit would have been preferable to the flat back of her hand.

-Crossing her feet opposite this would have eliminated the sight of the bottom of her shoe.

- It may be a tad warm....even for my tastes.

It's still a great shot, and I bet she loves it!thumb.gif

Thank you for the feedback. It's the little details that I sometimes miss, like the hands, feet. When pointed out, it's the lightbulb that goes off and makes me go......"oh! that would make a big difference." :D

The warmness came from the bounced flash I would imagine? Thanks again Jeff. :)