Dont know whether I like it or not.....

ChaseChase Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
edited June 1, 2005 in People
21363957-M.jpg

I am not really sure whether this photograph is good, or I just like. Opinions, comments, critiques please.:D
www.chase.smugmug.com
I just press the button and the camera goes CLICK. :dunno
Canon: gripped 20d and 30d, 10-22 3.5-4.5, 17-55 IS, 50mm f1.8, 70-200L IS, 85mm f1.8, 420ex
sigma: 10-20 4-5.6 (for sale), 24-70 2.8 (for sale), 120-300 2.8

Comments

• Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2005
    From a technical standpoint, of course it is a little flawed. However, with people pictures, you have another aspect and that is content. In this case, the content of the photo overpowers the slight technical shortcomings. The expression is very good, and it would bring a smile to those who know the subject as her personality is shining through.

The photo would of course be more ideal with the focus on the eyes instead of the tip of the nose, but the composition is good, and the expression is great. So I would say the final decision is up to you.

Do you think the subject or the customers for this photo would notice and be turned off by the technicals or would they see the content? If the latter, keep the photo, if the former, chuck it and chalk it up to a learning experience in focus failure ;-)

Chase wrote:

I am not really sure whether this photograph is good, or I just like. Opinions, comments, critiques please.:D
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • ChaseChase Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2005
    From a technical standpoint, of course it is a little flawed. However, with people pictures, you have another aspect and that is content. In this case, the content of the photo overpowers the slight technical shortcomings. The expression is very good, and it would bring a smile to those who know the subject as her personality is shining through.

The photo would of course be more ideal with the focus on the eyes instead of the tip of the nose, but the composition is good, and the expression is great. So I would say the final decision is up to you.

Do you think the subject or the customers for this photo would notice and be turned off by the technicals or would they see the content? If the latter, keep the photo, if the former, chuck it and chalk it up to a learning experience in focus failure ;-)
    She is just a friend of mine and I took the photograph while we were hanging around. I am a little mad about the focus. I think this is when i first got my 50mm f1.8 and had not quite figured out just how narrow that DOF is. The photograph is up for free on my sight, so I am not really concerned about selling it ( I dont like selling stuff to my friends who have no money.

It is flawed technically and focus would be better on her eyes, but I like the way her face looks as sort of being 'soft'. ne_nau.gif I have a mixed opinion I guess, and maybe that is why i dont know if i like it.
    www.chase.smugmug.com
    I just press the button and the camera goes CLICK. :dunno
    Canon: gripped 20d and 30d, 10-22 3.5-4.5, 17-55 IS, 50mm f1.8, 70-200L IS, 85mm f1.8, 420ex
    sigma: 10-20 4-5.6 (for sale), 24-70 2.8 (for sale), 120-300 2.8
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2005
    You could make it look like you intended the effect by making the image equally blurry on the nose. Normalize the blur and it might look better. ne_nau.gif

Chase wrote:
    She is just a friend of mine and I took the photograph while we were hanging around. I am a little mad about the focus. I think this is when i first got my 50mm f1.8 and had not quite figured out just how narrow that DOF is. The photograph is up for free on my sight, so I am not really concerned about selling it ( I dont like selling stuff to my friends who have no money.

It is flawed technically and focus would be better on her eyes, but I like the way her face looks as sort of being 'soft'. ne_nau.gif I have a mixed opinion I guess, and maybe that is why i dont know if i like it.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie