Needing Advice for Gear for Macro Shooting

Andi NicoleAndi Nicole Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
edited April 5, 2009 in Holy Macro
I have a Cannon Rebel XT and looking to get either the Remote Controller RC - or RC - 5 or get the Remote Switch RS-60E3. I wanted to post this question on here since this is where all the Pro Macro photographers are :)

What do you guys use? My whole reason for this is to take Macro photos without any shaking and I have no idea which one will benefit me the most.

Please let me know your advice!

Thank you so much!

Andi
Andi Nicole
www.andinicolephotography.com
"A day is lost if one has not laughed"

Comments

• GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited April 4, 2009
    hi andi, most people are shooting with flash, handheld , so we dont need a remote.
    you can always use cameras 2 sec timer with mirror lock up if using a tripod.
    phil
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/goldenorfe/
  • Andi NicoleAndi Nicole Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited April 5, 2009
    GOLDENORFE wrote:
    hi andi, most people are shooting with flash, handheld , so we dont need a remote.
    you can always use cameras 2 sec timer with mirror lock up if using a tripod.
    phil
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/goldenorfe/

Thanks Phil,

I asked this cuz it seems that I keep having blurred photos and its because I touch the shutter button, so the whole handheld isnt working for me.

thanks

andi
    Andi Nicole
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2009
    Thanks Phil,

I asked this cuz it seems that I keep having blurred photos and its because I touch the shutter button, so the whole handheld isnt working for me.

thanks

andi
    Using flash helps a lot as long as you are in M mode on the camera making the flash the main light souce. Apparent shutter speed then equals the flash duration. For natural light shots you need higher shutter speeds than those normally recommended. eg for a 100mm macro lens at 1:1 the shutter speed needed would be something like 1/100*1.6* (1+M) where M is the mag and 1.6 is the crop factor. So instead of 1/100th you end up with 1/320 th to be safe with camera shake.

Brian v.
  • Andi NicoleAndi Nicole Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited April 5, 2009
    Using flash helps a lot as long as you are in M mode on the camera making the flash the main light souce. Apparent shutter speed then equals the flash duration. For natural light shots you need higher shutter speeds than those normally recommended. eg for a 100mm macro lens at 1:1 the shutter speed needed would be something like 1/100*1.6* (1+M) where M is the mag and 1.6 is the crop factor. So instead of 1/100th you end up with 1/320 th to be safe with camera shake.

Brian v.

Thanks for explaining this in more detail. I think I understand now. I'll have to give that a shot! :)

Andi
    Andi Nicole