My best shots from Scotland

ProfessionalProfessional Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
edited April 7, 2009 in Landscapes
These 2 shots i consider them as my best ever shots from Scotland, i am proud of them

mg8423.jpg

shot12345tonemappedbv7.jpg

Comments

• grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,537 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2009
    Beautiful colors and composition!!
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2009
    I love the second one! The exposure looks great throughout the image, but here seem to be a couple noticeable problems in the water... Do you think you would be able to fix that?
    Anyway, nice images.
  • ProfessionalProfessional Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2009
    grimace wrote:
    Beautiful colors and composition!!

Thanks!
    edited April 4, 2009
    dseidman wrote:
    I love the second one! The exposure looks great throughout the image, but here seem to be a couple noticeable problems in the water... Do you think you would be able to fix that?
    Anyway, nice images.

Thank you very much!

Tell me, what problems did you notice?
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2009
    Thank you very much!

Tell me, what problems did you notice?

Look near the rear of the boat and also just to the right of the reflection at the front of the boat. There isn't any ripple detail in these areas. There is also another vertical patch of water near the middle of the image (just below the right-most tree of the stand) where it looks like there is a bit of a gradient from lighter water on the right, to darker on the left. This spot is also lacking the detail and texture of the surrounding water.

It appears that you blended at least two separate images and since the water was moving, this is the best that whatever program you used could come up with for a seaming them together. I'm just wondering if there is anyway you could fix this up. Other than these details that I find a bit distracting, this is a really nice photo that's definitely worth saving.
    edited April 4, 2009
    dseidman wrote:
    Look near the rear of the boat and also just to the right of the reflection at the front of the boat. There isn't any ripple detail in these areas. There is also another vertical patch of water near the middle of the image (just below the right-most tree of the stand) where it looks like there is a bit of a gradient from lighter water on the right, to darker on the left. This spot is also lacking the detail and texture of the surrounding water.

It appears that you blended at least two separate images and since the water was moving, this is the best that whatever program you used could come up with for a seaming them together. I'm just wondering if there is anyway you could fix this up. Other than these details that I find a bit distracting, this is a really nice photo that's definitely worth saving.

I will check the original photo and see how can i fix it.

Thank you very much!
    edited April 4, 2009
    here is the original shot of the second with very minimal edit

mg8390qc3.jpg
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited April 4, 2009
    dseidman wrote:
    Look near the rear of the boat and also just to the right of the reflection at the front of the boat. There isn't any ripple detail in these areas.

It's a wind shadow from the boat.
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2009
    I think they are wonderful shots--very dynamic and with interesting texture and colors. Well done!
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited April 5, 2009
    Thank you very much!
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2009
    Both are really nice shots. I'd be proud to have taken either one. The lake with ripples on the right side of the boat is probably because it is on the leeward side of the boat where the wind is being blocked. Perfectly natural.
    edited April 5, 2009
    Both are really nice shots. I'd be proud to have taken either one. The lake with ripples on the right side of the boat is probably because it is on the leeward side of the boat where the wind is being blocked. Perfectly natural.
    Thanks for your comments! :):
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2009
    These are both phenomenal shots from a beautiful country!

The first is absolutely stunning and IMO is perfect the way it is. The second, at least the first posted version, seems a bit overprocessed and sharpened to my eyes. I can tell there was a little more going on under the hood in terms of exposure tweaking. Your re-edit is thumb.gif

Thanks for sharing!
    edited April 5, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    These are both phenomenal shots from a beautiful country!

The first is absolutely stunning and IMO is perfect the way it is. The second, at least the first posted version, seems a bit overprocessed and sharpened to my eyes. I can tell there was a little more going on under the hood in terms of exposure tweaking. Your re-edit is thumb.gif

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks to your comments as well!
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2009
    Very nice. I do wish the treatment on the boat shot was toned back a bit. I think you went too far. It's harsh and a bit unbelievable. Also, you've got some major halo-ing around the trees. Try putting the original on top of the processed one, and reducing the opacity to 50%, so you are literally splitting the difference.

EDIT: In looking at the first, there are two things that bug me. The clouds are too blue, and the crop (or lack of it) is too elongated. I think the shot is better in a more standard 8x10 crop. I did a really bad job of backing off on the blue in the clouds, as well, and it ended up looking like this:

20090406-k6n1gynq27872a5xtm7s2em9tu.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited April 6, 2009
    DavidTO wrote:
    Very nice. I do wish the treatment on the boat shot was toned back a bit. I think you went too far. It's harsh and a bit unbelievable. Also, you've got some major halo-ing around the trees. Try putting the original on top of the processed one, and reducing the opacity to 50%, so you are literally splitting the difference.

EDIT: In looking at the first, there are two things that bug me. The clouds are too blue, and the crop (or lack of it) is too elongated. I think the shot is better in a more standard 8x10 crop. I did a really bad job of backing off on the blue in the clouds, as well, and it ended up looking like this:

20090406-k6n1gynq27872a5xtm7s2em9tu.jpg

Thank you very much for your comments and your editing job, it looks better.

I just share my works and i am learning, just hope to do better next time.
  • R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2009
    Hi, just looking at your edit of #2 - you appear to have lost some of the lighting onto the trees - so I prefer the original. Both are very nice shots - #2 certainly has Scotland all over it.:D
    Cheers, Richard.
    edited April 6, 2009
    R.Jay wrote:
    Hi, just looking at your edit of #2 - you appear to have lost some of the lighting onto the trees - so I prefer the original. Both are very nice shots - #2 certainly has Scotland all over it.:D
    Cheers, Richard.

Ah ok, thank you very much!

I hope when i will visit New York this year then to learn about Photoshop, i can be good in taking photos, but taking great photos out of camera is not enough, and i can't always just post original shots without any editing, so i want to learn Photoshop if i can find in New York to enhance my works.
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2009
    Great set, really like that first shot. Both shots are evocative of Scotland (not that I've ever been there - just what I think it would be like).
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2009
    Like both. I think they'd look great in b/w as well.
    edited April 7, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Great set, really like that first shot. Both shots are evocative of Scotland (not that I've ever been there - just what I think it would be like).

Thank you very much!

Scotland has more than that, give it a visit thumb.gif
    edited April 7, 2009
    Tee Why wrote:
    Like both. I think they'd look great in b/w as well.

Thanks!

Yes, they will look great in B/W i think.