Options

Vietnam 3/2009 - Hanoi

IgorIgor Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited April 7, 2009 in Journeys
So, this is my first post, so hope I am doing everything correct!

Just recently came back from a two week trip into Vietnam, we landed in Hanoi for a few days, before flying further south in the country. These photos are from our first couple of days in the very interesting country of Vietnam.

499952933_wmnCf-M-1.jpg
A woman carrying produce through the old town section of Hanoi. This is one of the few times where the streets are nearly empty.

499953825_Rks6n-M-1.jpg
Near the center of the old historical district is Hoan Kiem lake, this is a gate leading into the temple on Jade island, located on the northern shore of the lake. The next photo is a view of Hanoi over the lake.

499953749_a2j44-M-1.jpg

499953973_AekuV-M-1.jpg
One of the many, many street vendors who appear out of nowhere and make and sell all sorts of tasty tasty things. This particular stall was mostly sea-food.

499966936_f7VNd-M-1.jpg
Entrance into the Temple of Literature, Founded in 1070 as a Confucian temple, it was also the site of the first university in Vietnam, the Imperial Academy, which functioned for over 700 years.

499967293_p88j5-M-1.jpg
Woman in traditional dress inside the temple of literature

499967082_GUz99-M-1.jpg
Turtle Steles, carved with the names of the graduates from the Imperial Academy.

499967157_VttNu-M-1.jpg
Shrine to Confucius inside the main hall of the Temple of Literature.

499967560_AxY6R-M-1.jpg
The Ho Chi Minh museum, very imposing architecture, it highlighs the life of the leader of the Vietnam

499967896_fgbuj-M-1.jpg
Changing of the guard at the Ho Chi Minh Masoleum, which was built against his will, and is based on the Lenin masoleum in Russia.

499968208_exVD9-M-1.jpg
Man with two-wheeled cart. Such sights are common even in the larger cities of Vietnam, as workers transport their tools or wares around town.

I'll post more photos from other parts of the trip later, any C&C's are always welcome!

Comments

• Options
    Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2009
    Hi and welcome to DGrin Igor!

Nice shots of Hanoi! i especialy like the woman in traditional dress shot! thumb.gif looking forward to more of your shots. You may find it interesting i just posted the last part of my photoseries of Vietnam taken in 2008. Its always interesting to see a different angle on a place you've been. How long did you go? from north to south?
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    IgorIgor Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited April 5, 2009
    Thanks Chris! I'll definitely check out your thread, and you are right, thats always a lot of fun to see, especially with a slightly less traveled to location like Vietnam.

We went there for two weeks, in North to central Vietnam. We did Hanoi - Ha Long Bay/Cat Ba islands - Hoi An - Hue and then back to Hanoi.
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2009
    Like the images, most have such nice range of lighting/tones.

Great shots.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited April 7, 2009
    What a trip. I would have thought there'd be more people on the streets.

Cool place.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?