Options

Request to Sort by Sub-Categories

gooseattackgooseattack Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
Hi, I'm still a newbie in Smugmug. But I would like to recommend a suggestion to enhance this site...

I am trying to organize my pictures, but could not find a sorting/arrange function for the subcategories page (besides “Organize galleries by Position” on the homepage). Positing-sorting-by-galleries is a work around, but it is still very difficult to organize galleries for the subcategories page because there may be 25 subcategories and 20 galleries within each subcategories. 20x25= 500 galleries in all, just in one category.

Let me explain a little better.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

- In your homepage, click on a category link that goes to your subcategories.<o:p></o:p>

- Several thumbnails are displayed in the subcategories page. Each thumbnail links to the galleries page.<o:p></o:p>

- I would like the thumbnails (and description) in this subcategories page to be chronological. But arranging the pictures by position on the homepage’s link (“Organize galleries by position”) is very difficult, due to the fact there are many galleries. <o:p></o:p>

Example:<o:p></o:p>

Categories – NCAA Football<o:p></o:p>

Subcategories – <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:State w:st="on">Texas</st1:State>, USC, <st1:State w:st="on">Oklahoma</st1:State>, <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Miami</st1:place></st1:City> ß This is the page I would like to organize.

Galleries – <st1:State w:st="on">Texas</st1:State> vs. <st1:State w:st="on">Oklahoma</st1:State>, <st1:State w:st="on">Texas</st1:State> vs. <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:State w:st="on">Kansas</st1:State></st1:place><o:p></o:p>

Here are some programming suggestions:<o:p></o:p>

1. Have a “Organize subcategories by position” page. So, instead of trying to arrange all the galleries in “Organize galleries by position” It’s easier to organize subcategories. (maybe soft by the first featured photo of each sub-category)

2. For the “Organize subcategories by position” page, have a dropdown menu that allows sorting, similar to “Arrange Photos (bulk)” in each of the galleries. I am looking for a function that sorts by filename, by the most recent featured the galleries. <o:p></o:p>

sample.jpg

<o:p></o:p>
For example, you have IMG_122 and IMG_345 as the featured photos in two separate galleries and separate subcategories. I’m looking for a sorting function that reads the filenames of the oldest featured photo in all of the galleries (assuming IMG_122 and IMG_345 both have the oldnest/earliest-dates-taken in their subcategories), so that the subcategory that IMG_122 is in comes before the subcategory that IMG_345 is in, assuming IMG_122 was taken before IMG_345 (and plus the number 122 comes before 345). This may be a possible way to sort the subcategories.

<o:p>Thanks for your help,
Lucy</o:p>