fun with the studio B800 lights still learning

blaser321blaser321 Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
edited April 10, 2009 in People
Having fun with the studio B800 lights still learning. These are just a few of my daughter friend Chelsea CC welcome I will post more later just got a few done

506496457_MAUjT-XL-1.jpg

506496429_b5ujE-XL-1.jpg

506496324_Lb9dE-XL-1.jpg

506496308_nMhfb-XL-1.jpg

506496411_MooXG-XL-1.jpg
5D mark II, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8 L IS
EF 2.0x II extender BG-E6

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2009
    These are all well lit thumb.gif and you did a very, very good job of keeping spill from your white background from spilling onto your model. Not the easiest thing to do sometimes.

All that having been said, the lighting is a bit flat.

Something to remember, soft shadows can be a goodness. At times, and depending on the application/situation even hard shadows can be good.

To get some shadows here, just turn down one of your lights about a stop. This light, then, will be your fill and the other (brighter) light will by your key. With the setup you have here, you'll get some nice defining shadows on her face. I think I would dial down the light on camera left and raise the light on camera right a little higher off the ground.

Just my $.02
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2009
    Nice shots and fun poses.

I have to agree that your lighting looks very even an flat. I see two lights here, what were your ratios?
  • blaser321blaser321 Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2009
    Mitchell wrote:
    Nice shots and fun poses.

I have to agree that your lighting looks very even an flat. I see two lights here, what were your ratios?

I did shoot these with an even number on each side it was f9 I think and the back ground
    was at f11 shutter at 200 iso100 but I thought hi key was supposed to have no shadows?
    edited April 7, 2009
    You may want to try lighting the white background separately from your model. Two lights on the background +1 will give you some nice white with no shadow. Then go ahead and light your model as you please with a reasonable ratio to produce some nice shadows.

Yes, you need more lights for what I'm suggesting.

Or, you can just go ahead and light the model with a ratio to produce good modeling on her face. If you get some shadows on the white background, who cares. Nobody is going to notice with such a beautiful subject!thumb.gif
    edited April 7, 2009
    That is what I did I had two lights at f11 on BG and two at f9 on model. May be I should try f10 and f8 on model or maybe a bigger split?
    edited April 7, 2009
    got one more
    507260469_CyaYC-XL.jpg
  • David-StallardDavid-Stallard Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2009
    Just looked through the whole gallery in Smug - loved every shot, I haven't ventured into people shot's yet but I am inspired by these. Thank you

.DAVID.
    http://www.davidstallardphotography.com/

Take nothing but pictures. Leave nothing but footprints
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2009
    Very nice...

Just one question...how close were you to your model. I look at number 4 and see that her head seems a bit small for her body...a sign that usually indicates the photographer was too close. Maybe it's just the pose.

If you look at 3 and 5 by comparison, you will see that her head looks more appropriate for her body.

Something else that I think you did right in number 5 is to lengthen her legs with the heals. I think it's the best leg shot in the series.

Your "got one more" seems to support my thoughts on your being too close. Look at the size of her hand on her hip...and how her head sort of seems to drop back...being on the small side. Her hand also adds to the waist line...not good. Look at number 5 as a reference...ratio wise you can see she is much more proportional.

Proportionally, she looks like a different person in the last photo than in the previous three. In five she looks slim...in the others that I have mentioned, she looks a little thick...by comparison..

Just offering my humble opinion...
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
    edited April 8, 2009
    Ed brings up a good point. What lens did you shoot these with and what was your focal length for the full body shots?
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2009
    I would be super happy if my studio shots would look anything like that.

Very nice photos, I especially like #1 iloveyou.gif
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2009
    Watch her neck when you're shooting-- it's kind of lost in several of those images. Most models know how to extend their neck or at least raise their chin to give a more flattering, longer looking neck-- you'll just need to guide them!

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2009
    Beautiful model, great interaction with your subject, fun poses. I'm no expert on lighting, but it looks like nice smooth studio lighting.

You can improve these shots a lot with a little post work:

508342740_gdYti-O.jpg

See this and that.
    If not now, when?
    edited April 8, 2009
    Nice correction can I ask what you did?
    edited April 8, 2009
    Just to let every one know I really love all the feed back I can get. I just got my first camera 5DmII in December 2008 and my lights about two months ago and with each post and another set of CC I apply what I can to the next shoot. My studio is in my small garage I only have maybe 10 feet from BG to me and 6 or 7 feet from camera to model I use a 24/70L for the full body shots at 35mm s200 /f8 and these were all shot camera hight at 32 to 36 inches off the floor the last shoot I did I was a eye level and It made there legs look too short maybe I need to be just a little higher?
    And I just got CS4 and still learning this. But I”m learning, there is so much to this stuff WOW never knew
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2009
    blaser321 wrote:
    Nice correction can I ask what you did?

I provided the links: this and that.
    If not now, when?
  • Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2009
    blaser321 wrote:
    the last shoot I did I was a eye level and It made there legs look too short maybe I need to be just a little higher?

Shooting from a higher angle will make your subject look shorter. Shooting from a lower angle is what makes them look taller. Just don't overdo it, or their lower bodies will look disproportionately large.