Stefanie reshoot

MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
edited April 6, 2009 in People
My daughter requested some shots in her Bat Mitzvah dress. You may recall that she was less than satisfied with our professional photographers photos. He never really got any shots of her alone in her dress.

Many thanks to Jeff who helped me greatly with these!

Any comments on these would be appreciated. My biggest nit is the lack of separation from the background. My black muslin was so wrinkled that if I threw any light on it for separation it was very distracting. My only hope was to keep it black and without any detail. I probably would have done better if I had paper.

506287848_deufW-XL.jpg

2. The theme was "Camp Stefanie". This was one of the signs as people walked in.
506287243_9Fmyi-XL.jpg

3. This was over Stefanie's table.
506287197_66bfz-XL.jpg

4. My favorite from the session. More fill needed?
506287275_WJ5fx-XL.jpg

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2009
    You do need light to achieve seperation between the model and the background. However, there is nothing saying that this light has to be on the background. You could have directed a little light from behind and into her hair.

These are all quite nice. From a strictly lighting perspective, #1 is the best of the group. The others could benefit from a less dramatic lighting ratio. I'm also thinking that Stephanie could/would benefit from short lighting rather than the broad lighting in the last three.

The blue dress is just perfect for her - really brings out her eyes. I would love to see the entire dress - I'm sure it would be lovely!
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2009
    You have a beautiful daughter, I always enjoy looking at photos of your kids! iloveyou.gif (and what a dress!!! WOW!)

I love the photos, a hairlight would have made them a bit better, but I think they're all very beautiful. If anything I would have liked to see some different poses.

Speaking of Jeff, you should take her out in the woods and take some photos around spring time. I bet that dress would pop with all the fresh greenery! iloveyou.gif

thumb.gif
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2009
    Agnieszka wrote:
    You have a beautiful daughter, I always enjoy looking at photos of your kids! iloveyou.gif (and what a dress!!! WOW!)

I love the photos, a hairlight would have made them a bit better, but I think they're all very beautiful. If anything I would have liked to see some different poses.

Speaking of Jeff, you should take her out in the woods and take some photos around spring time. I bet that dress would pop with all the fresh greenery! iloveyou.gif

thumb.gif

Thanks, Angie!

Sadly, she's not going to fit in that dress much longer! It was purchased for a party almost 5 months ago. 4 inches in height along with some other development has left little room in that dress!!headscratch.gif
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2009
    You do need light to achieve seperation between the model and the background. However, there is nothing saying that this light has to be on the background. You could have directed a little light from behind and into her hair.

These are all quite nice. From a strictly lighting perspective, #1 is the best of the group. The others could benefit from a less dramatic lighting ratio. I'm also thinking that Stephanie could/would benefit from short lighting rather than the broad lighting in the last three.

The blue dress is just perfect for her - really brings out her eyes. I would love to see the entire dress - I'm sure it would be lovely!

Scott, thanks for the thoughtful reply.

I wish I'd thought of a rim light or a hair light for some more separation. I was a little flummoxed (is that a word?) by the detail I was picking up in the wrinkled background.

As usual, I was given only 1 hour to shoot these. Perhaps with a lot more time and practice I'll get better with studio lighting. Not my forte for sure.