Options

ripe juicy cherries and coconut ....

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited June 4, 2005 in Holy Macro
...lovingly packaged in "old gold" rich dark chocolate. yep, that's what a cherry ripe is...

and i've got 'em :lol3

i'm in london, and gubbsie told me where the cherry ripe dealer ...er... store is located.

be still my beating heart :lust

i found myself with an hour to spare today, so i went out on my quest. "just off the strand, in covent garden" says our man gubbs. off i go, wad of the queens specie in one hand, and my plastic money in the other, just in case....

but wait - i walk all 'round covent garden, no cherry ripes to be found anywhere :uhoh

i pop into a confectioner's stand, and the old gent mumbles some directions in a cockney accent augmented by about a half-litre of scotch whiskey... but no matter, when it comes to my quest, my cherry ripes, i understand every word.

it's up this first alley...look there, this guy knows where to find 'em... can't you see the fervor in his eyes?
23779677-L.jpg

'round the corner and up another narrow alley - yeah, that's where they hide those red packages of juicy, tender, succulent cherry goodness!
23779676-L.jpg

by this time i'm all sweaty and have 9-1 pre-dialed on my mobile phone... my heart is beating :lust and there's a lump in my throat. but i find the shop! immediately upon entering the dealer ....um...shopkeeper senses what i'm about, takes me to the rear of the store, and points down there, next to the tim-tams, exactly what i need :clap :clap :clap
23779672-L.jpg

i bought 'em all.
23779674-L.jpg

and then, this sweet lovely sheila sees me stuffing all the bars into my arms, and says "would you like to buy a whole box, we'll give you 10% off." :D well, she could have said, "10% extra" and i'd have paid it :lol3 :lol3 it was rather nice of her not to mention the little bits of cherry ripe at the corners of my mouth... :uhoh

so, an entire box of cherry ripes in my hands, i trot off back to the darkness and privacy of my hotel room, where i can be alone, with my 48 ...er...47.. i mean 46 new friends :wink

23779678-L.jpg

23779680-L.jpg

enjoy (the big cherry taste) photography,

Comments

• Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2005
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2005
    Lucky Dog.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2005
    rolleyes1.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    elfving73elfving73 Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2005
    Aaah haha! You're killing me! *Giggle-Giggle*
    "The Quest Of The Holy Cherry Ripe"! Hehe! Great story, Andy! I can relate to it. A few summers ago I had this uncontrollable desire for a ice cream called "Piggelin". It was a VERY hot summer and the ice cream producers couldn't keep up with the massive ice cream consumption. One day, I biked around for almost 3 hours before I finaly got my longed for "Piggelin". But BOY did it taste WONDERFUL! thumb.gif
  • Options
    Aussie_blueyAussie_bluey Registered Users Posts: 593 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2005
    Hi Andy,
    I have a picture of an advertisement from 1958 for Cherry Ripes, I will scan it and upload for you.
    1924 The Cherry Ripe
    The Cherry Ripe' is introduced in 1924 by MacRobertson's (later to be taken over by Cadbury) and is uniquely Australian. Its special combination of cherries, coconut and dark chocolate establishes it as a firm favourite with generations of families.

So enjoy what we take for granted, I know of no shop, petrol station and such like that does not stock it.

Tim:): 1drink.gifthumb.gifclap.gif
    :rofl Laugh at life, otherwise you will cry.:rofl
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited June 2, 2005
    Laughing.gif Andy.....I can see the headlines now. "US man mugged while walking British alleyways looking for Cherry Ripes"

I was gonna say that they won't let you back in this country with a case of those. But, knowing you, there may not be any left by the time you return lol3.gif

I guess I won't need to make a trip to pick up any for your next visit, since you seemed to have taken care of your sweet tooth for awhile rolleyes1.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2005
    Laughing.gif Andy.....I can see the headlines now. "US man mugged while walking British alleyways looking for Cherry Ripes"
    I was thinking more like "American found in alleyway robbed, hiding next to dumpster, muttering 'Where Are The Cherry Ripes'".
    I guess I won't need to make a trip to pick up any for your next visit, since you seemed to have taken care of your sweet tooth for awhile rolleyes1.gif
    Steve, We all know better than that. Have a case or two on hand. :D
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2005
    Hahahaha, this is totally fun. Great story Andy.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    BridgeCityBridgeCity Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2005
    Andy should get one of these!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=55543&item=8308616134&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Perhaps you could walk around and point to your shirt.. may break the "alcohol" language barrier :D
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2005
    Congratulations
    Success, I loved the pictoral essay showing us the way to the secret Cherry Ripes cache.

I'm afraid to try one if that's the effect on a previously semi-sane person rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited June 2, 2005
    challenge me this
    with all this talk and drooling over cherry ripes I find myself compelled to propose that from this day forward all winners of dGrin challenges receive as their reward a carton of cherry ripes! clap.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    with all this talk and drooling over cherry ripes I find myself compelled to propose that from this day forward all winners of dGrin challenges receive as their reward a carton of cherry ripes! clap.gif
    You guys do this and I will start actively participating in competitions. clap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifthumbthumb.gifthumb
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited June 2, 2005
    I agree with Dragon. incentive like that might get me to remember to login to dgrin early enough every other monday to submit a photo!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited June 2, 2005
  • Options
    tlittletontlittleton Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2005
    :lol4 I'm glad you finally got your fix Andy! I have a feeling everyone is going to show up in Utah next year with their camera bags filled with ripes instead of glass...
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2005
    thanks bc!
    BridgeCity wrote:
    Andy should get one of these!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=55543&item=8308616134&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Perhaps you could walk around and point to your shirt.. may break the "alcohol" language barrier :D

but you must know, i haven't been a size "small" since, well, since i was small lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2005
    andy wrote:
    but you must know, i haven't been a size "small" since, well, since i was small lol3.gif
    No but I bet you could sew it in to a nice little lens cover :D
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2005
    Andy,
    not being a candy eater,you have me jonesing for a cherry ripe :D
  • Options
    ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2005
    Great Story Andy clap.gif ... Now I just HAVE to try one of these things..

Ed
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2005
    Place Your Bets Here
    andy wrote:
    ...lovingly packaged in "old gold" rich dark chocolate. yep, that's what a cherry ripe is... and i've got 'em lol3.gif
    enjoy (the big cherry taste) photography,

I bet those Cherry Ripes DONT make it back to New York rolleyes1.gif :lol4 :lol
    Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2005
    Skippy wrote:
    I bet those Cherry Ripes DONT make it back to New York rolleyes1.gif :lol4 :lol
    Skippy (Australia)

that could be a good bet. i've got two more days here, and i've et three already today lol3.gif

:eat
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2005
    Cool story, Andy. thumb.gif
    But does anyone worry that Gubbs knows the only store in London that sells Cherry Ripes? eek7.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Cool story, Andy. thumb.gif
    But does anyone worry that Gubbs knows the only store in London that sells Cherry Ripes? eek7.gif

the gubbsinator knows *many* things.... lol3.gif
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 2, 2005
    nice story Andy.

how long before we need to start up "Cherry Ripes Anonymous" forum ? icon10.gif

just had a thought perhaps Amadeus is Andy when he hasn't had a Cherry Ripe fix in a few days yelrotflmao.gif
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2005
    Yo Andy let me know when that habit.......um.........craving gets to be to much !! :wow

I'll be happy to introduce you to my support group :lol4 :D
  • Options
    TassieDTassieD Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2005
    Do I dare mention that cadbury's actually sell a cherry Ripe icecream?

Just as good as the bar version and get to satify the desire for both cerry ripes and icecream :D

Great story Andy...clap.gif
    Cheers
    David Clifford
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2005
    Tassie

has anyone ever told you, you are a tease, before. headscratch.gif
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2005
    TassieD wrote:
    Do I dare mention that cadbury's actually sell a cherry Ripe icecream?

Just as good as the bar version and get to satify the desire for both cerry ripes and icecream :D

Great story Andy...clap.gif
    Tassie - I will PM you my address in LA. Please go to your nearest store, purchase 5 gallons of the CRIC, contact DHL, explain you have a perishable shipment bound for the US, have them provide a dry-ice chest... rolleyes1.gif

Look, you all may drool over cherry ripes, Andy may be king of the ribs, but nobody, understand NOBODY can out-eat me on ice cream NO BODY!!! :D
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    Tassie - I will PM you my address in LA. Please go to your nearest store, purchase 5 gallons of the CRIC, contact DHL, explain you have a perishable shipment bound for the US, have them provide a dry-ice chest... rolleyes1.gif

Look, you all may drool over cherry ripes, Andy may be king of the ribs, but nobody, understand NOBODY can out-eat me on ice cream NO BODY!!! :D
    Are you gonna be at SmugMug 2006? You just dished out a personal dare and I gaurantee you some of us will take you up on it. :eat :eat :eat :eat :eat :eat binge.gifbinge.gifbinge.gifbinge.gifbinge.gifbinge.gif
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2005
    Are you gonna be at SmugMug 2006? You just dished out a personal dare and I gaurantee you some of us will take you up on it. :eat :eat :eat :eat :eat :eat binge.gifbinge.gifbinge.gifbinge.gifbinge.gifbinge.gif

:toni