Options

Visit to a lighthouse...

printergirlprintergirl Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
edited April 7, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
This past Saturday I had the pleasure of visiting a landmark I have never been to, even though I am a lifelong Floridian. Went to the Ponce de Leon lighthouse in Ponce Inlet (between Daytona and New Smyrna beaches). It was a beautiful day and I am so glad I took my camera.

507175622_Ws5tU-L.jpg

The lightouse has 203 stairs, straight up. It was a bit daunting looking up and deciding to make the climb. Now, I am not exactly one for "exercise," so this was a challenge for me.

507165039_fdgAN-L.jpg

This was taken when I was about (ONLY) half way up, looking down to the ground.

507165444_rC75e-L.jpg

I shot these trees when we took a nature walk between the lighthouse and the beach. Thought they were interesting, but wish I would have framed it better.

507163426_ENsvy-L.jpg

But, I digress, the view from the top of the lighthouse was amazing.

507168847_fGtHC-L.jpg

507170201_C6wtw-L.jpg

507172515_Toe6n-L.jpg
7829553_bAkYm#507175622_Ws5tU
~ Nora

WebsiteBlogFacebookTwitter

Comments

• Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2009
    Nice shots. I've seen that lighthouse, but never been in it.

Next time you're out roaming with your camera, go a little bit further north to St Augustine and do this one:

507297791_kzd4j-L.jpg
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2009
    Ah...St. Augustine! My favorite weekend getaway in Florida. We go there at least once a year for a weekend trip. Have one planned for later in the year there, so I will be sure to visit that lighthouse as well. :)
    ~ Nora

• Options
    Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2009
    Hi Nora
    I really like the lighthouse views (inside and outside). The others seem a bit washed out though. If you have photoshop it's real easy to rectify that. One little trick is to apply unsharp mask with a small amount and very large radius. Sometimes that is all that's needed to make a dull image pop. I took the liberty to work on one of your photos (hope you don't mind). Took about 3 minutes to get this.

507538346_wCSy5-L.jpg

Step 1: Unsharp mask amt.=24 radius = 204 threshold = 0
    Step 2: High Pass Filter radius = 0.7
    Step 3: Brightness/contrast adj. layer play with sliders as needed. I used brightness = -45 and contrast = +2
    After flattening the image, I felt it was too bright so added another b/c adj. layer and decresed brightness another -38

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2009
    Awesome! Thanks for the "step by step" stuff too. That really helps me when I start playing with them in Photoshop (which I do have). :)
    ~ Nora

• Options
    RoadkillRoadkill Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2009
    The stairs are really cool, nice job.
  • Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2009
    The foreground is better in the "jack'll do" alteration , but the sky is weird. I'd treat the sky in a separate layer and use a Layer Mask to let it show through. Maybe even lay in a layer of sky from a different photo with good sky color. Easy to do this with a nice, clean horizon to work with.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2009
    Beautiful looking shots Nora!!