Options

Photo Upload

sillywabbit69sillywabbit69 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited April 7, 2009 in Finishing School
Hi everyone. Typical noob post incoming. I have a Canon XSi, Windows XP and use Photoshop Elements 6.0. I sent an e-mail earlier to Smugmug and they gladly provided me with support however, i came to these forums to find out the 'why' portion of my question. Below is what i sent

"I used the 'share' option and under 'more options' i picked, send to smugmug. So i guess that's the default Photoshop elemets 6.0 uploadeer. When i used the Raw editor in photoshop, i don't hit save, i just hit 'done'. I had assumed that this saved the changes i made to the RAW image as that everytime i open photoshop, the image retains the edited look. I avoided using the save function b/c the only options it gave me was to convert to a .jpg or .tiff file and i wanted to leave them in RAW formatI will try to open the picture in another program as you had mentioned. "

So basically, why do the changes i make to my RAW photo not get uploaded to smugmug? I took all the saturation out of my RAW shot to give it a black&white look but after the upload, the shot retained color on smugmug's site. When i open this same photo up in photoshop, it retained the RAW editor edits.

thanks in advance for helping me understand

Comments

• Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2009
    "I used the 'share' option and under 'more options' i picked, send to smugmug. So i guess that's the default Photoshop elemets 6.0 uploadeer. When i used the Raw editor in photoshop, i don't hit save, i just hit 'done'. I had assumed that this saved the changes i made to the RAW image as that every time i open photoshop, the image retains the edited look. I avoided using the save function b/c the only options it gave me was to convert to a .jpg or .tiff file and i wanted to leave them in RAW formatI will try to open the picture in another program as you had mentioned. "
    First of all, welcome to dgrin wave.gif

In a nutshell, you need to save to .jpg and upload to smugmug in order to view your photo processing. Smugmug does not accept RAW files unless you pay for the smugmug vault.

I don't use elements, but use other Adobe products such as Lightroom and photoshop. Unless you're using the .dng format (the open source raw equivalent -- no sidecar), the processing that you do is saved in a side car file (.xmp) and the raw file (.cr2) is untouched. Ever time you open the raw file, the adobe program also reads the sidecar file and applies your changes; the actual raw file is not changed.

Remember. Done isn't the same as save. And why do you want to save in RAW? In general, you don't want to touch the original bits and most print houses and web hosting vendor prefer jpg files.