Yosemite Valley -- IR

tisuntisun Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
edited April 10, 2009 in Landscapes
This is a stitch of 29 shots from an IR-mod Canon G6.

EDIT: Added contrast per jeffmeyers' suggestion...

507165049_NvdVa-X2-1.jpg

Comments

• ProfessionalProfessional Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2009
    Fantastic, so breathtaking shot!

Keep up your nice work.
  • ritewingerritewinger Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2009
    Yes, just beautiful. My old D70S is being IR converted presently, your work is inspiring...clap.gif
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited April 8, 2009
    Wow! :wow Striking!!!
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2009
    Fantastic...:jawdrop
  • theNOIZtheNOIZ Registered Users Posts: 272 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2009
    Wow! Great shot! Thanks for sharing! clap.gif
  • riddim_makerriddim_maker Registered Users Posts: 1,835 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2009
    Very impressive! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Russ
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2009
    Nice IR work. Love the shot! You might want to try to deepen the contrast a bit and work on the color of the trees. I'd say it's just a little washed out.

Something like this.

508374770_8nQ2x-L.jpg

Otherwise, it's a great shot. thumb.gifthumb
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • tisuntisun Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2009
    Thank you everyone for your comments.

Jeffmeyers, now that I see your and my copies side by side, mine is definitely washed out. I am adding contrast now and boosting up saturation a bit but can't quite get the same deep yellow as yours. I am going to edit the original post. Please let me now whether I have added sufficient contrast or have gone overboard. Thanks.
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2009
    tisun wrote:
    Thank you everyone for your comments.

Jeffmeyers, now that I see your and my copies side by side, mine is definitely washed out. I am adding contrast now and boosting up saturation a bit but can't quite get the same deep yellow as yours. I am going to edit the original post. Please let me now whether I have added sufficient contrast or have gone overboard. Thanks.

Oh yeah. Much better. Good work! thumb.gif
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • Picture North CarolinaPicture North Carolina Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited April 9, 2009
    Crisp and sharp. Good work.

SmugMug Gallery | Website | Like my Facebook page, I'll like yours
  • dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2009
    tisun wrote:
    This is a stitch of 29 shots from an IR-mod Canon G6.

EDIT: Added contrast per jeffmeyers' suggestion...

Hey Tony,

Great shot you have here. Out of personal taste, I really liked you original shot better than the more contrasty shot.

The original seemed to really flow through out the picture. The trees almost flowed like water or rivers through a gorgeous valley.

With the added contrast, my eyes look at details instead of the overall shot. The added contrast is a very distracting add on since my eyes no longer flow through the picture but rather get stuck on the trees only which is not the main subject. But like I said, it is only in my opinionrolleyes1.gif

either way, you have created a wonderful IR shot. Congratsclap.gif
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/
  • tisuntisun Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2009
    dadwtwins wrote:
    Hey Tony,

Great shot you have here. Out of personal taste, I really liked you original shot better than the more contrasty shot.

The original seemed to really flow through out the picture. The trees almost flowed like water or rivers through a gorgeous valley.

With the added contrast, my eyes look at details instead of the overall shot. The added contrast is a very distracting add on since my eyes no longer flow through the picture but rather get stuck on the trees only which is not the main subject. But like I said, it is only in my opinionrolleyes1.gif

either way, you have created a wonderful IR shot. Congratsclap.gif
    Hi Dan,

Thanks for your honest opinion. A friend and I looked at the two versions side by side yesterday and we both thought that the less contrast version seemed more natural some how, despite being an IR shot, and that the deeper yellow of the version with more contrast drew too much attention to the trees.

I like what you said about the trees flowing like water through the valley. Here is the less contrast version:

509323145_uYWnt-X2-1.jpg