Political Tour - Michael Ignatieff in Calgary

cdubcdub Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
edited April 10, 2009 in People
Hi everyone,

Just a quick post highlighting a PJ-style shoot I did a couple of days ago. I alluded to this event in an earlier post asking for lens advice. Here's some background:

I was asked by the office of Michael Ignatieff (leader of the Liberal Party of Canada, and also the leader of the Official Opposition for the Government of Canada) to volunteer to ride along and take pictures during his one-day visit to Calgary. His tour included a number of events at several locales within the downtown area. They contacted me after seeing my photos from the last time he was in Calgary. Needless to say, I was flattered. I did, however, make it abundantly clear that I was not a professional and had never done a shoot before (let alone a touring or photojournalistic one).

The day featured a closed-door lunch meeting at the Calgary Petroleum Club, featuring Calgary's top 20 oil CEOs and presidents; a town hall-style students event at a high school; a short media scrum; a meeting with the Calgary Police Chief and members of his team; a tour of the police service's criminal processing and holding facilities; a ride on the C-Train (Calgary's mass transit); and finally a fundraiser event.

Tech specs: I mounted a Canon 50mm F1.2 L lens to my 5D mark II, and while the lens was very nice, my experience left me a detractor of its focal length. Just too narrow. I think if I were purchasing a fast prime, I’d gravitate more towards the 35mm F1.4 L. At 21 megapixels I can always crop in, but the reverse isn’t true on tight shots. Rather humbly, I'll admit that I didn't use a flash at all because I don't yet own one. I know it would have helped on a couple of occasions. While F1.2, 1.4 and the like are lovely apertures, depth of field is a real bugger, and balancing tricky light without flash is challenging. I pulled it off, mostly, but I would have loved to have been working with greater depths of field.

It was a great day. My legs, feet and even my toes are still sore, but it was a wonderful experience for which I am very grateful. I learned a lot, including how difficult a photographic assignment can be. I hope to be able to do this again.

Thanks for looking. More info on his visit and my experience can be found on my website (www.cdub.ca) and I'll post a few more pics once I'm through processing them on my smugmug site (www.cdubphoto.smugmug.com).

508634323_D3ZKT-M.jpg

508639374_iwFfy-M.jpg

508644338_nErXV-M.jpg

508649505_yvJ6H-M.jpg

508653985_QTn7T-M.jpg

508657509_ncfx8-M.jpg

508663798_4ME8i-M.jpg

508668188_Qq7PE-M.jpg

508674426_nGzyQ-M.jpg

(recent edit: added more pics)
CW
(shoot first, then ask questions)

www.cdub.ca | www.cdubphoto.smugmug.com | Twitter | Canon 5DII + Canon 24-105 f/4 L, Canon 580EX II, Gitzo GT1541 + Acratech GV2L

Comments