Finally got some feedback!

sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
edited April 10, 2009 in People
Some of you may remember my recent engagement shoot. Well, I made some suggested changes and delivered the disc, e-mailed the couple about viewing their photos online, and waited. And waited. I finally heard back today that they LOVE them. They've been showing them to everyone they know and getting lots of complements. They are very excited that I'll be doing their wedding.

Thank you, my online friends, for all the feedback! I was so helpful.

Caroline

Comments

• AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2009
    Some of you may remember my recent engagement shoot. Well, I made some suggested changes and delivered the disc, e-mailed the couple about viewing their photos online, and waited. And waited. I finally heard back today that they LOVE them. They've been showing them to everyone they know and getting lots of complements. They are very excited that I'll be doing their wedding.

Thank you, my online friends, for all the feedback! I was so helpful.

Caroline

Congrats wings.gif

Don't you hate for waiting for them to get back to you? It kills me every time rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif Glad to hear they liked the set! YAY! clap.gif
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2009
    CONGRATS Caroline!!!clap.gifclap.gif
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2009
    Great news - congrats! clap.gif
  • PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2009
    That is GREAT! clap.gif

Can't wait to see some shots from the wedding.

Take Care,
    Charles
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2009
    Congrat! I know about the waiting thing....

I took a series of baby photos last September (2008), posted them, e-mailed the link to the client (my CPA), called her to let her know the link was in her inbox and waited. And waited. And waited. I've even seen her a couple of times since the shoot on business.

It had gotten to the point that I was going to bring my checkbook with me when I went to pick up my taxes from her to offer her a refund on the shoot - 100% satisfaction or money back guarantee. I figured no print order, she must not be happy with them.

Yesterday, I had occasion to call her (I have to do my son's taxes - he's still in Iraq but I heard from him yesterday clap.gifwings.gif ) and I needed some quick advice. Turns out there was a death in the family, then there was this and then there was that - her life went crazy. Then, with the first of the year, she started to work on corporate taxes for a number of her cliens. Anyway, long story short, he brought up the shoot and asked for the link again because she wanted to purchase some prints. She even suggest that we needed schedule another session.
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2009
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets antsy for feedbackrolleyes1.gif It's not so much about my ego as taking care of my client. I want to offer a reshoot or refund if they're not happy. I have to remind myself that not everyone is as obsessive about the photos as I am! My mother made the point that if a client is expecting great pictures, and I deliver great pictures, they may not feel the need to tell me they're great pictures.

As for the wedding, it's on "my turf"- It'll take place at the church where I teach preschool. I'll be able to formulate a good plan for the day. I've shot a few weddings before, but it's been 2 years since the last one, and my standards keep going up. So although I understand a lot about what to expect the day to be like, and how to plan, I'm still a wee bit nervous. You know, no do-overs! I'm so glad I convinced the couple to do an engagement shoot so we could get to know each other better, which also allowed me to see which angles work best for them. I'm also very happy that the couple felt it was a good experience and love the resulting photos. Now if I can talk her into a bridal session... I wrote into the contract that she can add a bridal session within a month after the wedding for a small fee, just in case she changes her mind.

Caroline
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2009
    This is so comforting to hear! My first "not immediate family or friends" shoot was just last weekend so this is all new to me, as y'all know. I busted my butt to get all 4 headshot shoots culled, online and ready for viewing by Sunday evening (partly because I knew I'd be really busy this week and didn't want it hanging over me when I needed to concentrate on other stuff, but also just because I figured *I* would want to see my own shoot, so why shouldn't they?)

I sent them an email with viewing instructions and didn't even get a "thanks for the link, I'll get back to you". I decided it was just typical student flakiness, but now I see that it's not entirely unusual! Phew. Really there's nothing at stake for me here financially (flat fee, including the pring, is paid by the department - nothing close to enough money for the amount of work involved, but I went in knowing that and didn't really do this one for the money!), but let's face it - we put a piece of ourselves into this stuff above and beyond the income aspect and just want a response!
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    This is so comforting to hear! My first "not immediate family or friends" shoot was just last weekend so this is all new to me, as y'all know. I busted my butt to get all 4 headshot shoots culled, online and ready for viewing by Sunday evening (partly because I knew I'd be really busy this week and didn't want it hanging over me when I needed to concentrate on other stuff, but also just because I figured *I* would want to see my own shoot, so why shouldn't they?)

I sent them an email with viewing instructions and didn't even get a "thanks for the link, I'll get back to you". I decided it was just typical student flakiness, but now I see that it's not entirely unusual! Phew. Really there's nothing at stake for me here financially (flat fee, including the pring, is paid by the department - nothing close to enough money for the amount of work involved, but I went in knowing that and didn't really do this one for the money!), but let's face it - we put a piece of ourselves into this stuff above and beyond the income aspect and just want a response!

They probably figure that you've been paid, so they're done with you! I always say "hope you enjoys these, let me know what you think" and something nice about how I enjoyed working with them. So far, I've always gotten a response, although it may take a few days or longer to get it. When I did school portraits I got a few responses, but I think mostly because I see those people around and they know me. You may be in that kind of situation with the "bulk" sittings doing student head shots- you just may not get feedback because it's not as personal as a client seeking you out and booking a private session. It definitely makes that kind of work less satisfying, although still very good practice.
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2009
    That is so awesome SC... Dgrin is such a great place to learn and grow! I am glad they loved them! (They were pretty great so of course they would!)

Don't worry about the immediate feedback... some people are just quicker on the draw than others. Once I had an email about 2 hours after a wedding asking when the photos would be up... another time it took 2 months for there to even be a single view of the gallery. Strange, but true. People get busy and forget to look. ne_nau.gif
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2009
    Once I had an email about 2 hours after a wedding asking when the photos would be up... another time it took 2 months for there to even be a single view of the gallery. Strange, but true. People get busy and forget to look. ne_nau.gif

I just don't get it ... ne_nau.gifheadscratch.gif

I'm always dying to get feedback from my couples ... I think most of us put so much into the photos, that we definitely deserve some sort of Thank You. It doesn't take that long to type a quick email. rolleyes1.gif Anyway, ... that just kind of frustrates me, but on the other hand every once in a while, I get emails from mothers, aunts and uncles, who will put me on their yearly family-update email-list ... and I'm not sure if I need that either rolleyes1.gif
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2009
    Agnieszka wrote:
    I just don't get it ... ne_nau.gifheadscratch.gif

So many people in general, do not have, know or understand proper etiquette; cyber or terra.

Congrats on your shoot and Wedding too, Caroline~
    tom wise
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2009
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets antsy for feedbackrolleyes1.gif It's not so much about my ego as taking care of my client. I want to offer a reshoot or refund if they're not happy. I have to remind myself that not everyone is as obsessive about the photos as I am! My mother made the point that if a client is expecting great pictures, and I deliver great pictures, they may not feel the need to tell me they're great pictures.

As for the wedding, it's on "my turf"- It'll take place at the church where I teach preschool. I'll be able to formulate a good plan for the day. I've shot a few weddings before, but it's been 2 years since the last one, and my standards keep going up. So although I understand a lot about what to expect the day to be like, and how to plan, I'm still a wee bit nervous. You know, no do-overs! I'm so glad I convinced the couple to do an engagement shoot so we could get to know each other better, which also allowed me to see which angles work best for them. I'm also very happy that the couple felt it was a good experience and love the resulting photos. Now if I can talk her into a bridal session... I wrote into the contract that she can add a bridal session within a month after the wedding for a small fee, just in case she changes her mind.

Caroline

Congrats! You'll do fine! glad it is on your own turf.. makes it a little easier. but.... a wee bit nervous? I am a wreck before every wedding but I think that's what keeps us on our toes and looking for that perfect picture. Get too comfortable and bad things happen. Same as being a nurse in the hospital....gotta always be scared when you go to work! Can't wait to see these!
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • dreamcometruedreamcometrue Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2009
    That's awesome SC. What a great feeling when you get back encouraging gratitude for the shots you captured? Nothing beats the feeling of clients being completely satisfied. Good Job!!!clap.gifclapclap.gif
    Artistic Design Photography LLC
    http://www.adesignphotography.com