Options

The Dominican Republic

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited July 10, 2009 in Journeys
Last year we took a trip to the DR. Had some time so I finally went through all of the pictures. Here are some of the highlights from the our trip.

We start off the day with a bit of exercise

508384484_ExFUN-L-1.jpg

Next we go for swim and a stroll down the beach to cool off

508404749_sNkJZ-L.jpg

508387201_bz2pX-L-1.jpg

We get around on the local taxis... What? You don't see any taxis... the motor bikes are the taxis

508384847_CDynk-L-1.jpg

508388949_dQKdg-L-1.jpg

508388769_GVKLz-L-1.jpg

Along the way we met a lot of very nice and welcoming people

508385951_usT54-L.jpg

508397722_SMacF-L-1.jpg

508382783_rVh2A-L-1.jpg

We visited a small family home and farm owned by this man who was very kind. I was quite surprised when I found out he was 85 years old. Still strong as an ox.

508408520_forXu-L-1.jpg

We met his great grand daughter who I absolutely fell in love with. Such a sweet little girl.

508409689_4GCr8-L-1.jpg

397042695_imYoz-L.jpg

We visited some of the souvenir shops

508392095_NuBAk-L-1.jpg

508387040_4Yvtf-L-1.jpg

508382656_VqvPP-L-1.jpg

We also stopped by a cigar shop where they roll cigars as you watch:

508391896_RM77Y-L-1.jpg

We made a stop at a local school to bring some supplies and candy to the children

508399946_wvL3p-L-1.jpg

508405600_EfY7C-XL-1.jpg

We had an opportunity to stop by another home where the owner grew just about everything he needed to sustain himself and his family. These were his two boys that were quite a handful.

508409595_QdVMc-L-1.jpg

508397293_9kKh5-L-1.jpg

508388496_koYrK-L-1.jpg

A few of the local pets we ran across.

508402279_npt2n-L-1.jpg

508417001_NtLzF-L-1.jpg

397051318_Uz2LZ-L.jpg

We also did some horseback riding. My wifes first time... she didn't do too bad.

508411999_tHxbS-XL-1.jpg

508409677_723cB-XL-1.jpg

Here is a shot of some of the floral we saw along our ride

508413825_xjfXk-XL-1.jpg

Some more of the local transportation

508411534_efvu2-L-1.jpg

508405809_xud3h-L-1.jpg

We ended everyday on the beach

508412593_vMS8f-L-1.jpg

508402017_JzAXp-L-1.jpg

508398207_LCAar-L-1.jpg

At night, we took in a few shows

508491071_r8TPg-L.jpg

Before we knew it, our vacation was over

508410535_qRPsz-L-1.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited April 8, 2009
    Very cool journey with great shots, 'Cuban!! (or can I call you Ricky? mwink.gif)

The DR is such a tropical paradise. We were there a few years ago, and we're going again in less than two months. We go to the club med in Punta Cana. Last time we were there, we never left the resort. So I especially enjoyed seeing the streets, the people, and the way of life there. They look like proud and happy people.

This year we're taking some neighbors and the husband wants to get out of the resort and travel around some. In particular, he wants to buy cigars. mwink.gif What's your honest opinion of two gringos wanting to get out and explore? Will we be safe? I know you're Spanish, so that would be a big advantage I would imagine.

Anyway, thanks for a very nice travel report.
    -joel
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Very cool journey with great shots, 'Cuban!! (or can I call you Ricky? mwink.gif)

The DR is such a tropical paradise. We were there a few years ago, and we're going again in less than two months. We go to the club med in Punta Cana. Last time we were there, we never left the resort. So I especially enjoyed seeing the streets, the people, and the way of life there. They look like proud and happy people.

This year we're taking some neighbors and the husband wants to get out of the resort and travel around some. In particular, he wants to buy cigars. mwink.gif What's your honest opinion of two gringos wanting to get out and explore? Will we be safe? I know you're Spanish, so that would be a big advantage I would imagine.

Anyway, thanks for a very nice travel report.
    -joel

HAHA... I've been called a lot worse so you can call me Ricky!!

My wife and I have travelled to quite a few tropical destinations and the DR is by far our favorite. We too stayed in Punta Cana at the Cayena Beach Club which we traded for our time share in Disney World.

As for travelling out, everyone was pretty nice. I felt pretty safe actually. You may want to check out one of the tours that your hotel offers... check on the Safari tour. They take you around to different places. But again, it's pretty safe. Just use common sense right.

Don't go around flashing cash or jewels or gold bars. Treat people nicely and with respect. Don't ask for directions from guys holding large knives. Laughing.gif. Honestly, what all the locals told me was to watch out for the Haitians. They are the ones that commit the crimes against tourists. But again, they are crimes of opportunity. So you don't give the opportunity and they won't commit a crime against you.

I recommend you check Macao. It was just outside of Punta Cana. Beautiful place. Mostly country homes... no hotels. Beaches are absolutely beautiful. My wife and I are actually thinking of retiring there. Check it out next time you go.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2009
    some nicely composed and colourfull shots in here! thumb.gif

A nice insight into the DR. thanks for sharing! clap.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited April 9, 2009
    HAHA... I've been called a lot worse so you can call me Ricky!!
    Thanks, and you can call me Fred! rolleyes1.gif
    My wife and I have travelled to quite a few tropical destinations and the DR is by far our favorite. We too stayed in Punta Cana at the Cayena Beach Club which we traded for our time share in Disney World.

As for travelling out, everyone was pretty nice. I felt pretty safe actually. You may want to check out one of the tours that your hotel offers... check on the Safari tour. They take you around to different places. But again, it's pretty safe. Just use common sense right.

Don't go around flashing cash or jewels or gold bars. Treat people nicely and with respect. Don't ask for directions from guys holding large knives. Laughing.gif. Honestly, what all the locals told me was to watch out for the Haitians. They are the ones that commit the crimes against tourists. But again, they are crimes of opportunity. So you don't give the opportunity and they won't commit a crime against you.

I recommend you check Macao. It was just outside of Punta Cana. Beautiful place. Mostly country homes... no hotels. Beaches are absolutely beautiful. My wife and I are actually thinking of retiring there. Check it out next time you go.

Awesome. Thanks for all the advice! It would be nice to get out and take some pictures other than in the resort. I see you got an iquana shot too. I think they poison the hell out of the resort so that there are no bugs left, and hence no other wildlife there either. I'd love to see an iguana in the wild.

I just looked through your shots again. Really great stuff, and the people shots are so compelling. thumb.gif

Cheers,
    -joel, er, Fred!
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2009
    No worries. Hey, I'd be more than happy to provide my services as a guide and a translator if you're willing to pay for my trip!! mwink.gif

That iguana was caged on someone's property, hence the odd crop. Just outside of view is a bunch of junk. We did not see any iguanas in or around the resort. Not even on the island we went out to. Not like Aruba. In Aruba they were like pigeons... every where!!!

Thanks for the positive feedback on the pictures. thumb.gif

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2009
    some nicely composed and colourfull shots in here! thumb.gif

A nice insight into the DR. thanks for sharing! clap.gif

Thanks!! It was a great trip. Seeing these pics again really brought back some nice memories.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    matrix311matrix311 Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    You didn't happen to go on a tour with Punta Cana Mike did you? Visiting the schools, going to cigar factories, visiting the small local towns outside the resort sounds just like his tour. We were just in Punta Cana last month and wished we would have gone a tour with PC Mike. Some friends of ours went and they said it was amazing the places he took them.

http://www.freewebs.com/puntacanamike/

I was just curious if this was the tour you went on?

Very nice pics by the way! I love the DR, it was our first time there and we plan on going back as soon as possible.
    Eric Schlaht, Phoenix Arizona Photographerhttp://www.esimaging.net - http://esimaging.blogspot.com/

Canon 7D, Canon 40D, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/4L IS, 50mm f/1.8, 430EX
  • Options
    Allan FGAllan FG Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2009
    You have a great eye for portraits thumb.gif