Options

Can you fix this picture

havanesehavanese Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
edited April 11, 2009 in Finishing School
My wife took this shot of our son, but as you can see it has issues. I have LR2 and Photoshop CS4, but my skills are limited.

Would anyone like to fix this photo and then explain what you did to fix it so I can learn from this mistake? You can save the original or just tell me what the steps I need to do in either LR2 or Photoshop.

http://tinyurl.com/c6zuep (links to my smug gallery)
Randy P.
Fuji X shooter
Thoughts and Images

Comments

• Options
    ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2009
    Took a quick peek at the photo using Lightroom. All I can say is that i hope you were shooting RAW. Too much blown out areas. Even with reducing exposure and cranking the recovery up there is still no detail in the blown areas.
    Did a quick mess around with black and white though. There is some potential for saving it as a B&W i think. Even then the blown areas are a bit too much and would likely look better pushed through PS and having some grain added to dull the blown areas.
    Another thought if you want to get a little more artistic would be to try split toning with it.

Sorry can't give much more then that. I am still in the early learning phases of the software as well. This picture though is a good example of why shooting RAW is beneficial. Not saying that would have saved the shot, but would be closer.
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2009
    [quote= This picture though is a good example of why shooting RAW is beneficial[/quote]

Shot in jpg :cry

Nice suggestions and I though B&W might be the way to go for this shot.

thanks...
    Randy P.
    Fuji X shooter
    Thoughts and Images
  • Options
    bwlbwl Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited April 9, 2009
    havanese wrote:
    My wife took this shot of our son, but as you can see it has issues. I have LR2 and Photoshop CS4, but my skills are limited.

Would anyone like to fix this photo and then explain what you did to fix it so I can learn from this mistake? You can save the original or just tell me what the steps I need to do in either LR2 or Photoshop.

This cannot really be improved. The face, the rabbit and the pants don't have any structure. The best thing is to delete it. Otherwise you will suffer whenever you have a look at it.

-b
  • Options
    kwcrowkwcrow Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2009
    havanese wrote:

The others are right. There is not much left in the blown areas. I did what I could with this one, but not great!

original:
    Attachment not found.
    Modified:
    508617306_MkFKx-O1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2009
    I didn't think there was much hope. Thanks everyone.

FYI, what she did was frame the area where she wanted the shot and then placed our son next to the rabbit and then fired away without checking the shot.

For us photography is a steep learning curve... but we are trying.
    Randy P.
    Fuji X shooter
    Thoughts and Images
  • Options
    jhmjcmjhmjcm Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited April 11, 2009
    There really isn't much to work with in the blown out areas. I converted it to black & white and added a mild sepia tint. If you want the details, let me know.
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2009
    not bad, that might work for a picture that didn't have much chance of making it.
    Randy P.
    Fuji X shooter
    Thoughts and Images