Options

Night Time Nudes Critiques 18+

eminarteminart Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
edited April 17, 2009 in Go Figure
I tried a few shots tonight. I'm not sure how I feel about them. What do you guys think?

Moonlight_Sonata_by_eminart.jpg

A_MidSummer_Night__s_Dream_by_eminart.jpg

What_We_Perceive_by_eminart.jpg

The_Loneliness_of_Midnight_by_eminart.jpg

Comments

• Options
    WinemanWineman Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2009
    Hello,

The 2 siluett's I don't like just because they are blurry on the edges, for me the importance of a siluette is its sharp edges.

The 3rd photo I find the background distracting, the white door in particular directs my eyes to that side (and this is bad, having a beautiful model in front and yet my eyes go elsewhere...).

The first one is great clap.gifclap.gif I like the soft light and the pose is good, but the simplicity implied is really good, nothing to distract from the figure. Well done!thumb.gif

Just my 2 cents...

Z.
    I do not suffer insanity... I enjoy it!!!
  • Options
    cdubcdub Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2009
    yeah, I agree- I think you have some really neat ideas there, but watch your composition because each picture except the first one has something distracting in it - whether the door, or something else.

Good efforts and great ideas. Keep going!
    CW
    (shoot first, then ask questions)

www.cdub.ca | www.cdubphoto.smugmug.com | Twitter | Canon 5DII + Canon 24-105 f/4 L, Canon 580EX II, Gitzo GT1541 + Acratech GV2L
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2009
    I'm afraid I won't say anything new: good ideas thumb.gif , but the execution is snapshotty at best. ne_nau.gif
    Adding some light may help mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    eminarteminart Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited April 9, 2009
    Thanks, guys. I agree with you. The first one is really the only one I like. As it turns out, my little bedroom is a terrible photography studio. To get the two shots on the bed, I had my tripod backed all the way in a corner and I was squeezed up against the wall beside it. Still, I had my widest lens zoomed all the way out to just barely get the shot framed. And those windows had a TINY amount of light coming in. My shutter times for all of them were almost a full minute (hence the blurred silhouettes).

Anyway, thanks for the critiques. It was a nearly full moon last night. I tried to get my wife to just shoot them outdoors, but for whatever reason she didn't want to pose nude in our backyard surrounded by other houses. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    cdubcdub Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2009
    Hey I think it's great that you have such a willing participant.

I don't think your bedroom is a terrible studio, necessarily - you can compensate with some creative post-processing. Clone or crop out unwanted aspects of your photos, and work with lighting - of all sorts. What we see isn't always attributable to what you use. I've used christmas lights, colored foil on construction work lights, and desk lamps to create indirect lighting in my ghetto studios in the past...
    CW
    (shoot first, then ask questions)

www.cdub.ca | www.cdubphoto.smugmug.com | Twitter | Canon 5DII + Canon 24-105 f/4 L, Canon 580EX II, Gitzo GT1541 + Acratech GV2L
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2009
    FWIW, the "moonlight" pictures, like this:

151938976_v2Knq-XL.jpg

are NOT taken with the actual moonlight mwink.gifdeal.gifrolleyes1.gif

Impression and implementation are two different things...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    FWIW, the "moonlight" pictures, like this:

are NOT taken with the actual moonlight mwink.gifdeal.gifrolleyes1.gif

Impression and implementation are two different things...

Hey, mine are taken with actual moonlight:

3340688842_cb0d7c39f9.jpg

Granted, it's just the rim; the main light is a camp fire.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.... ;)
  • Options
    cerpintorcerpintor Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited April 16, 2009
    I happen to like the 3rd one the most out of all of these, and the main reason for that is the blur and the snapshot feel that others have apparently disliked. I guess different people like different images for different reasons. Although I tend to be disappointed in blur or focus issues on my own shots, I like it on this.

The only thing I don't like about that one is the cropping. The top of the curtain is really distracting, I think it could be chopped right off.
  • Options
    BeamCatcherBeamCatcher Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited April 17, 2009
    And of course...
    I HAD to be the odd one out...! *lol*

The first two are the big keepers, and I genuinely like number two best.

I can see how folks like first best, but I think the light breaks the hips a bit strange.

Number two works better in that respect, though perhaps good to tone down a bit on the upper left..?

The thing I REALLY like is... this is one of those shots which makes people think "I could have done that..!"

Yes... but you did not! ;-))

Kudos my friend!

Ivar :-)
    Canon 7D
    Canon 16-35mm f2.8 II
    Canon EF 50mm f/1.2 L USM
    Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM
    Canon Speedlite 550EX

http://www.beamcatcher.com/layout/Pictures.html