Lens fungus removal

fronsfrons Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
edited April 13, 2009 in Cameras
I have an old Tamron 80-200 2.8 LD that got a lot of use while a photojournalist in college. Unfortunately, that lens is still in great shape except for a case of fungus. I have a quote for removal of the fungus ($135), but I am not sure it is worth the expense. Anyone else ever had a lens serviced for fungus or did you just pitch it?

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited April 10, 2009
    Fungus can affect lens coatings so simple fungus removal may not correct all the problems. If the fungus is moderate to mild I might chance it if I was otherwise satisfied with the lens.

The lens would require some disassembly and could affect performance compared to original specifications.

The repair cost you quoted is very reasonable so I think it comes down to risks versus potential rewards.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2009
    Fungus has roots grow into the coating. It depends on how bad is the fungal growth. I lost 2 lens to fungus many years ago. I sent one for cleaning but the coat was gone, means the lens cannot deliver good photos. Then I gave up for the second one.

You may wish to check with the repair centre to see how good the lens can be restored or ask the technician for frankly advise whether it is worth to repair.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • 138photog138photog Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited April 12, 2009
    wow I have never heard of fungus growing in a lens...did you have it laying in a damp place for a while? how does this happen so that I can avoid this...
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2009
    138photog wrote:
    wow I have never heard of fungus growing in a lens...did you have it laying in a damp place for a while? how does this happen so that I can avoid this...

Fungus growth in lens are commonly happen to the tropical countries, such as where I live. The humudity usually about 90% and temperature constantly above 30 deg C (90 F). Just leave the lens in such environment for a week without proper care you may see the small thread in the lens.

The only way to prevent it is to keep those equipment in a dry box, preferably the electric dry box rather than chemical dry box. Maintain the humidity around 40 to 50% and temperature about 25 deg C. Also avoid putting the equipment in a leather case which usually attract the fungus growth (I lost the 2 lens many year ago because I forgot to take out from the leather camera case keep inside the drawer)
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/