Baker Lake

squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
edited April 13, 2009 in Landscapes
went up to Baker Lake a couple of days ago, to see what i could see. hadn't been up there before, but it's now on my list of places to go back to for some spectacular mountain vistas... this was one of the last shots before ileft to head home. the midday light had been harsh - clear sky and bright sun - but as it got on toward evening, the clouds moved in and softened the light. it cost me some contrast, but also let me get more detail, so fair trade. this was shot across Baker Lake, with Mt. Baker, an active volcano, in the background. looking at this shot, i can't help wondering what those dead trees on the shoreline would look like in fall... i'm gonna mark my calendar to go back up there and find out! taken with a 5D and Tamron SP 24-135 lens at 59mm with a 4ND grad filter, 1/60 @ f/13, then a pass through ReDynaMix to bring out some foreground details and a little tweak in Photoshop to make the colors pop more, and voila!

IMG_7183rdmx_sm.jpg
~ Rocky
"Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com

Comments

• EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2009
    Spectacular! Such clarity! Great job capturing this...it looks like a mirror image!
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2009
    Superb Job ! amazing view
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2009
    Well, you just made me put this spot on my calendar too - is the road snow free right now? Wow, great photo, nice clarity, and of course, a beautiful mountain.

Looking at the map, it seems that this would be best at sunrise when you would get some nice alpenglow (especially this time of year when the sun is rising further south than it will in summer) water should be calmer then too (although it looks pretty good in your photo). It also looks like Mt. Shuksan could be in view from part of the lake (depending on how accessible the lake-shore is). There's also Lake Shannon just from the south that might also be interesting.

I definitely need to scout this place out! Thanks for the nudge, and like I said, great photo :D
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Well, you just made me put this spot on my calendar too - is the road snow free right now? Wow, great photo, nice clarity, and of course, a beautiful mountain.

Looking at the map, it seems that this would be best at sunrise when you would get some nice alpenglow (especially this time of year when the sun is rising further south than it will in summer) water should be calmer then too (although it looks pretty good in your photo). It also looks like Mt. Shuksan could be in view from part of the lake (depending on how accessible the lake-shore is). There's also Lake Shannon just from the south that might also be interesting.

I definitely need to scout this place out! Thanks for the nudge, and like I said, great photo :D

thanks, Ron! yeah, early morning would give you the best light on the mountain, but from the spot i was at, the trees on the right would be in pretty deep shadow. i'm thinking later in the evening, just before sunset would be good... you'd get the light on the lake and the trees (especially in fall), and possibly some nice golden light on the mountain too.

Shuksan is clearly visible across the lake, and you can drive right to the water's edge. that would be the "dawn shot", IMHO - you could get some nice reflections if the water's calm, as well as the morning alpenglow. if you turn to the left, you can get Baker from the same spot, though not with the water like i got in this shot... you have to walk down a levee a ways to get that angle, and from there, Shuksan is behind the trees.

the roads are bare and dry all the way up there now, though there's snow along the sides much of the way. take the Baker Lake road just east of Lyman/west of Concrete; it's about 22 miles from the turn-off from SR20. take the "Baker Dam" turn off the Baker Lake road, then turn left just past the entrance to Kulshan campground. go about half a mile and you'll be looking at Shuksan across the lake...
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

• coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2009
    squirl033 wrote:
    thanks, Ron! yeah, early morning would give you the best light on the mountain, but from the spot i was at, the trees on the right would be in pretty deep shadow. i'm thinking later in the evening, just before sunset would be good... you'd get the light on the lake and the trees (especially in fall), and possibly some nice golden light on the mountain too.

Shuksan is clearly visible across the lake, and you can drive right to the water's edge. that would be the "dawn shot", IMHO - you could get some nice reflections if the water's calm, as well as the morning alpenglow. if you turn to the left, you can get Baker from the same spot, though not with the water like i got in this shot... you have to walk down a levee a ways to get that angle, and from there, Shuksan is behind the trees.

the roads are bare and dry all the way up there now, though there's snow along the sides much of the way. take the Baker Lake road just east of Lyman/west of Concrete; it's about 22 miles from the turn-off from SR20. take the "Baker Dam" turn off the Baker Lake road, then turn left just past the entrance to Kulshan campground. go about half a mile and you'll be looking at Shuksan across the lake...

Great, thanks for the info, much appreciated. I'll definitely put this on my places to go soon list (I've been jonesing for some mountain shots), and of course, I'll have to be there at dawn and dusk and then I'll have a better idea of where the best spots are :D
  • Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2009
    Totally beautiful! Thats all I have to say!
  • AbiciriderbackAbiciriderback Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2009
    Rocky

Gorgeous image great detail and the clarity and DOF is fantastic and ReDynaMix is one heck of a plug in for under $20.00 I use that one all the time.

Ray Still
    edited April 10, 2009
    thanks, guys... this is definitely on my list of places to check back on regularly!
    ~ Rocky
    Three Dog Night

• Diamond DDiamond D Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited April 11, 2009
    Wonderful image, the reflections and the lines/texture under the water are subtle, but give us a lot to look at throughout the image. Nicely processed as well!

*Edited to add that your Northwest gallery is phenomenal!
    http://diamondd.smugmug.com

Nikon D80
    Nikkor 50mm/f1.8, 18-135/f3.5-5.6, 70-300VR/f4-5.6
    Tokina 11-16/f2.8
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2009
    Ditto to everything that's been said!!! I am so glad you shared this shot--it made me go "WOW!"
    thumb.gifthumb.gif
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,537 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2009
    Beautiful looking shot!! Nice comp and color!!
    edited April 13, 2009
    thanks, everyone, for the kind words! :D
    ~ Rocky
    Three Dog Night