Ongoing trouble with my 5D mark II

cdubcdub Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
edited April 10, 2009 in Cameras
I haven't taken my camera in yet, because this problem is more of an annoyance than anything, and I'm not positive I can reproduce my problem for a sales associate because it only happens every so often. That said, I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem with their 5DII.

When I am reviewing pictures on the LCD screen sometimes my preview will switch off, back to picture-taking mode, as though I'd pressed the trigger or another button to get out of preview mode. Occasionally I will press the "play" button to review pictures, and it'll flash to my last taken picture for a split second, but then turn back off again. And it will do this several times, until I toggle some settings or rotate one of the dials. Then when I go back to review pictures it works. And when this is going on, I notice dimming and then un-dimming of my viewfinder.

The first few times this happened I thought I'd depressed the trigger by accident or something, but it turns out I had not. It kind of does this at random, and only, I'd say 1 or 2 times out of ten that I preview my pictures.

The only way I can explain what's going on is that my camera preview option seems 'glitchy'. Anyone else come across this?
CW
(shoot first, then ask questions)

www.cdub.ca | www.cdubphoto.smugmug.com | Twitter | Canon 5DII + Canon 24-105 f/4 L, Canon 580EX II, Gitzo GT1541 + Acratech GV2L

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited April 10, 2009
    This kind of sounds like a power problem so I recommend switching batteries to see if the problems occur with another battery and also cleaning the battery and camera contacts to make sure you have a good connection.

Some folks also add a shim of some sort into the battery compartment between the battery door and the battery to add a little extra pressure to the contacts.

If none of these things work I would consider getting the camera serviced.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • MeffordMefford Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited April 10, 2009
    DOF Preview?
    Mine was doing the same thing. However, I found I was inadvertently pressing the depth-of-field preview button with my left hand, which canceled the image replay.

This would also account for the dimming of the viewfinder, unless you have the aperture set wide open.

I hope that is your problem and not some crazy electronic glitch.

Good luck getting it figured out!