Yet another portrait

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited June 3, 2005 in People
With the same "One Light Stand":

23855679-L.jpg

(this is the same young lady who was pictured in Mother and Daughter thread)

Hope you like it:-)
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:

23855679-L.jpg

Priviet, Nikolai!

Its great, you're trying to find "your way"...

But... light... brings shadows...

1. This contrast of nose line and her right cheek and eye is too ... too much...
    2. In classic poses we have 3/4... I think that this pose (3/4) could bring more "life" to your portrait...
    3. Think that adding some light from the left could do some good job...
    I also (maybe its only me) like backlight, brightening the hair contour.... and in this case (beautiful hair) it could bring some "magic"...
    4. For me she's looking *at* something (not thinking or musing) and this is a mistake.... (sorry). If one shows *such* a look, then he/she must show the subject (what our hero is looking for...). Otherwise we (maybe only I) have a feeling of some ... irritability... annoyed not seeing the 'object'...
    Think that Isabel will not abuse me if I'll put a link to her Secret photo (also low light, made with Nikon cooolpix 990, as I can remember, in a church). I love this photo very much and think its a small masterpiece... Yes, its a scene... But... this photo tells a story...
    Now to yours...
    One light... maybe flash must be used? I'm not a spec. (You know I dont like flash and so on...)
    In the end I'd say that I like the idea of your portrait, composition idea, lighting idea...
    Hope Isabel's 'Secret' will be inspiring... and sorry for such a 'severe' critique (Also sorry for my English)
    I'll be waiting for your portarits, Nikolai!
    Spasibo, groog and "ne obizhaytes na kritiku"!
    Yuri
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2005
    Yuri,
    Thank you so much for your time and thoughts.

Cheers!1drink.gif
  • XO-StudiosXO-Studios Registered Users Posts: 457 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:

23855679-L.jpg

While I am by no means anywhere close to a portrait photographer (like Yuri), heck I am barely even a photographer, just a guy taking pictures, I do like the pose, and I am thinking a very minor change in light would do wonders.

Try using a gold reflector to her right (picture left) and just warm up the shadow side a bit, and maybe even create a little sparkle/catchlight in her eye(s).

XO,
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
    Mark Twain

Some times I get lucky and when that happens I show the results here: http://www.xo-studios.com
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2005
    Thx, XO!
    XO-Studios wrote:
    While I am by no means anywhere close to a portrait photographer (like Yuri), heck I am barely even a photographer, just a guy taking pictures, I do like the pose, and I am thinking a very minor change in light would do wonders.

Try using a gold reflector to her right (picture left) and just warm up the shadow side a bit, and maybe even create a little sparkle/catchlight in her eye(s).

XO,
    I agree, it's a good idea..

However, it was not a staged portrait. It was a "party shot". I would even call it a candid, with the exception that everybody was aware of me taking pictures with the help of that huge shiny brollybox:D .
    So I kinda cannot imagine me pushing everybody around and setting up reflector:-). And even if I did - I guess by the time I'd be done with the light that girl, her pose and her thoughtful expression would be long gone:-)

Thanks for looking!thumb.gif