Sailing Alcatraz

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited April 21, 2009 in Landscapes
I took this image from Fishermans Warf in SF. It was a very overcast and ugly day. The original image was pretty flat and underexposed. I was going to discard it but I started playing around with it and tyring different post treatments. I ended up with this. I know I'm missing some details in the shadows on Alcatraz Island but I just couldn't pull them out.

I'd love to hear any C&C that you may have. Is it too contrasty??

509712249_nNtZq-XL.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• ChristopherJAshdownChristopherJAshdown Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited April 10, 2009
    I like the PP, particularly the way the boat pops from the photo. Maybe you might consider dodging the buildings in the far distance and Alcatraz a little more - get some more detail out.

Nice shot.
  • R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2009
    Hi, I like this shot - peaceful sailing against the 'foreboding' backdrop - I think the contrast and darkness of the building and island is OK.
    Cheers, Richard.
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2009
    I don't think it's too contrasty. Nice balance of objects in the fore/mid/background.
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2009

I'd love to hear any C&C that you may have. Is it too contrasty??

The boat is fine, speaking of contrast, but the BG has too much contrast and therefore looses the potential depth in the image. Things farther away are always effected by haze, or at least we assume that because we usually see thatdeal.gif I like the image but just back off on the contrast in the subject matter that is in the far distancethumb.gif

Happy Easterwings.gif
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2009
    Tee Why wrote:
    I don't think it's too contrasty. Nice balance of objects in the fore/mid/background.

Thanks. I was really happy with the job I did on comp for this photo. I'm really trying to focus more on finding my subject and then composing around it.

My Smug Site
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2009
    The boat is fine, speaking of contrast, but the BG has too much contrast and therefore looses the potential depth in the image. Things farther away are always effected by haze, or at least we assume that because we usually see thatdeal.gif I like the image but just back off on the contrast in the subject matter that is in the far distancethumb.gif

Happy Easterwings.gif

Thanks Marc. This makes perfect sense. You know, the image did seem a little strange to me but I couldn't put my finger on it. After reading your post, the buildings on the island stick out like a sore thumb. Really unnatural. I will post the new version this afternoon see what you guys think.

My Smug Site
    edited April 21, 2009
    I had time to rework this image based on some of the comments. I tried to mask in some mist/haze so that the BG appears more natural.

How did I do?

513934844_uXwMk-XL.jpg

My Smug Site