Options

Baseball Cards Anyone?

OhEddieOhEddie Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
edited May 11, 2009 in Sports
Here are a few of my cards I have made for my boys High School team.

Has anyone else made baseball cards?

If you have I would love to see your designs.

509724093_NFyBR-L.jpg

509723957_DsMVz-L.jpg

509724175_2LMCg-L.jpg

509724316_UHsha-L.jpg

Comments?
Blessed are those who remain flexible, for they shall not get bent out of shape.

Comments

• Options
    zack75144zack75144 Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2009
    1st class, Eddie.
    If I wanted to be nit picky, I would say that the last name font and angle is my least favorite part.
    I'd probably put the last name in the block font across the bottom and arch the first name smaller sized above the last name. JMHO

All in all though, great Jobthumb.gif
    Zack www.zackjonesphotography.net
    EOS 7D, Zeiss 50mm f/1.4, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 200mm f/2.8L II, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 1.4 Ext II, 430EX, ST-E2, Tamrac Velocity 10X & Expeditioner 7 Bags.
  • Options
    shphotosshphotos Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited April 12, 2009
    Eddie,
    These are great. I love your design, and your photos are superb. clap.gif
  • Options
    Diamond DDiamond D Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited April 13, 2009
    The photos are very nice, and I like the individual elements of the design, especially the background, but it does seem a bit busy overall. The real question though is how do the players and parents like them?

I do approve of the NY Mets colors for the uniform clap.gif
    http://diamondd.smugmug.com

Nikon D80
    Nikkor 50mm/f1.8, 18-135/f3.5-5.6, 70-300VR/f4-5.6
    Tokina 11-16/f2.8
  • Options
    Jeff_MiloJeff_Milo Registered Users Posts: 327 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2009
    I really like your cards, good action shots.

I made these for my daughters little league training/tee-ball team. Normaly I would not use the MLB logo's but these I am giving to the team and not selling.

Front
    497770840_WeDpD-L.jpg

Back

497770761_FHLgh-L.jpg
    Jeff Milo
    MILOStudios

www.milophotostudios.com
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2009
    Jeff,

That little guy has a great stance for a 5yr old.

I love the design of the card too.
    Blessed are those who remain flexible, for they shall not get bent out of shape.
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2009
    Diamond D

The parents and kids love them. The comment I hear most is "Please make more"

Oh and FYI, Mets = bad blbl.gif

Braves = Good wings.gif
  • Options
    b08rsab08rsa Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2009
    Both sets of cards are very nice. What size are you all starting out with in photoshop? I have been looking for ideas to make cards for my daughters soccer team. I am kind of stuck in a rut on creating something that is as eye catching as the cards you have displayed here.

Ron A.
    thumb.gif
    Sony A7ii, Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens, Sony FE85mm f/1.8 Lens, Sony FE 28-70 mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Lens, Godox 860iiS Flash.
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2009
    Ron,

Last year I made them actual baseball card size, but this year I made them 4"x6" because 95% of the photos I sell are that size and it is big enough to frame.

I've also let everyone know I can make everything from 4"x6" to 24"x40"
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2009
    OhEddie wrote:
    Jeff,

That little guy has a great stance for a 5yr old.

I love the design of the card too.

Thank you, much appreciated. that little guy and his brother are the two best players on the team, they also happen to be the only two on the team who have played before. I love going to the games its like watching the bad news bears in live action, but most importantly they have a lot of fun.
    b08rsa wrote:
    What size are you all starting out with in photoshop?

I made these actual baseball card size 2.5" x 3" at 300 dpi, largely because of the lack of quality i could find on the net for the A's logos. If I were making them for resale I would have gone the same route as OhEddie and made them bigger. It takes way to long trying to resize the pictures into the appropriate spaces.
    Jeff Milo
    MILOStudios

www.milophotostudios.com
  • Options
    Diamond DDiamond D Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited April 15, 2009
    OhEddie wrote:
    Diamond D

Oh and FYI, Mets = bad blbl.gif

Braves = Good wings.gif

Haha, well the Marlins are better than both of us right now! ne_nau.gif
    http://diamondd.smugmug.com

Nikon D80
    Nikkor 50mm/f1.8, 18-135/f3.5-5.6, 70-300VR/f4-5.6
    Tokina 11-16/f2.8
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2009
    Diamond D wrote:
    Haha, well the Marlins are better than both of us right now! ne_nau.gif
    You got that right!

I had to turn the Braves off tonight they were stinkin' it up so bad. :cry
  • Options
    rich56krich56k Registered Users Posts: 547 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2009
    Jeff_Milo wrote:
    I really like your cards, good action shots.

I made these for my daughters little league training/tee-ball team. Normaly I would not use the MLB logo's but these I am giving to the team and not selling.

Front
    497770840_WeDpD-L.jpg

Back

497770761_FHLgh-L.jpg

Jeff,

Yikes!! You may want to re-examine your policies, as the fact you sell or give away is totally irrelevant to the trademark / copyright owners...it's not worth the potential problems you could encounter, see attached from bottom of their web site - even the color combinations are mentioned!! deal.gif

just my .02

rich56k
    http://HooliganUnderground.com
    Member: ASMP; EP; NPPA; CPS
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2009
    Hmmmm? I wonder what the lawyers will do if they find out that millions of youth sports teams use the trademarked and copyrighted logos of college, minor league, and professional sports teams on everything from jerseys, hats, equipment bags, team photos, and even advertisements.
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2009
    rich56k wrote:
    Jeff,

Yikes!! You may want to re-examine your policies, as the fact you sell or give away is totally irrelevant to the trademark / copyright owners...it's not worth the potential problems you could encounter, see attached from bottom of their web site - even the color combinations are mentioned!! deal.gif

just my .02

rich56k
    headscratch.gif Thats why I got a written consent from my daughter's soccer club. Since they are a semi professional club that plays in the PDL.
    Sony A7ii, Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens, Sony FE85mm f/1.8 Lens, Sony FE 28-70 mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Lens, Godox 860iiS Flash.
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2009
    OhEddie wrote:
    Hmmmm? I wonder what the lawyers will do if they find out that millions of youth sports teams use the trademarked and copyrighted logos of college, minor league, and professional sports teams on everything from jerseys, hats, equipment bags, team photos, and even advertisements.

Unfortunatly the sad part of the whole thing is that the nationally affiliated "Little League" teams here are required to use the MLB team names and logos on there shirts and hats and the little league pays a fee to MLB to do so. You would think that with all the $$ MLB makes that they would donate the uniforms. We pay a $70 regestration fee per kid to play. The fee is not for playing it is for membership to the National Little League and uniform fees.
    B08rsa wrote:
    Thats why I got a written consent from my daughter's soccer club. Since they are a semi professional club that plays in the PDL.
    I just did the same thing last night with the Jurupa Litttle League as they pay the fee they have the right to allow people to use the Logo's. After the parents saw the cards they started requesting full orders of just their kids. I didnt want to print them without permission. Maybe I will send an email to MLB as well just to be safe.
    Jeff Milo
    MILOStudios

www.milophotostudios.com
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2009
    This all got me curious, so I called my buddy at the local uniform supply and he told me that yes, for all of the official trademarked logo, a fee has been paid to the owner. All MLB logos are owned by MLB, not each individual club.

But here is the catch. He can create a logo that is very similar to the real thing, but there has to be at least what is considered a ten percent variance. This is why Alabama can use the exact same "A" as the Atlanta Braves, except Alabama has a little swish added to the top of the A.

He told me that in the case of our Red Sox team he uses a font that is very similar to the real thing, but if you hold them up next to each other then you will see the difference.

As far as selling a few dozen baseball cards, with the kids photo on it, to parents of the local basball league your kid plays in. It is highly unlikely that any team would take the time to have their lawyers send you a threatening nasty-gram. So if you are going to make less that a couple hundred bucks, I wouldn't worry, as it cost more than that to get the lawyers to answer the phone. However, if you were to do this in some high volume fashion, that would be a different story.
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2009
    Well here is where I get stuck in a Rut, I guess. As much as I like a simple style card, I need ideas to make this more appealing. Let me know your thoughts.

Ron A.

514696621_zzFuV-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2009
    Oooo, I like it clap.gif

How did you make the background? Is it from a photo you took?
    Works great with the team colors. You might try cloning out the one person on the left in the background. Other than that, nice job!!!
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2009
    OhEddie wrote:
    Oooo, I like it clap.gif

Works great with the team colors. You might try cloning out the one person on the left in the background. Other than that, nice job!!!

In Photoshop, I took a picture of a soccer ball, deleted the background. Once I did that, I converted the jpeg file into a paintbrush. Pretty simple to do.
    Thanks, Ron A.
  • Options
    budman101budman101 Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2009
    Where do you get the fonts for the team names?
    www.joemallis.com
    "Most time its not the gear that makes the shot"
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2009
    OhEddie wrote:
    Oooo, I like it clap.gif

Look Better??? First time doing a clone in PS.

Person in background.
    514696621_zzFuV-L.jpg

First Time Cloning in Photoshop.
    514728883_j8p2N-L.jpg
  • Options
    shphotosshphotos Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited April 18, 2009
    b08rsa wrote:
    Well here is where I get stuck in a Rut, I guess. As much as I like a simple style card, I need ideas to make this more appealing. Let me know your thoughts.

Ron A.

514696621_zzFuV-L.jpg

I also really like what you've done with the soccer ball background. Did you try a sharper edge on the photo? Or maybe a black or white frame around the photo? It looks good.
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2009
    b08rsa

Yes, the cloned one is much better. Remember, cloning is your friend.
  • Options
    madiggmadigg Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2009
    Springfield Cardinals
    394394877_SXyJB-L-1.jpg

Here are a couple of the Cards that I get the Players for the Springfield Cards to Sign. They Freek Out. 394402947_Zd7Eo-M.jpg

Adam Wainwright on rehab in Springfield.
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2009
    rich56k wrote:
    Jeff,

just my .02

rich56k

Just thought I would give an update on this. Figuring it better to be safe than sorry way back in mid April I decided to send an email to the A's requesting permission to use their logo's. Finally heard back from them on Friday and after sending their Senior Counsel a sample of the cards and an explanation of their intended use the Oakland A's were kind enough to grant me permission to use the logos. I thought that was kind of cool, almost renewed my faith in MLB.

Also found a great vendor to print the cards www.mvpcards.com, unfortunatly smugmug does not print them. Now if I could only find the sticks of rock hard gum to include with the sets rolleyes1.gif
    Jeff Milo
    MILOStudios

www.milophotostudios.com
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2009
    Jeff,

Wow, that's outstanding. Nice to know they are not the big evil corporation I thought they might be. clap.gif
  • Options
    SledhedSledhed Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited May 11, 2009
    Jeff_Milo wrote:
    Just thought I would give an update on this. Figuring it better to be safe than sorry way back in mid April I decided to send an email to the A's requesting permission to use their logo's. Finally heard back from them on Friday and after sending their Senior Counsel a sample of the cards and an explanation of their intended use the Oakland A's were kind enough to grant me permission to use the logos. I thought that was kind of cool, almost renewed my faith in MLB.

Congratulations on doing it the right way!