Router Slowing Downloads and Uploads

Aaron JorsAaron Jors Registered Users Posts: 470 Major grins
edited April 11, 2009 in Digital Darkroom
I've been having some issues with Smugmug and getting my site to load in a reasonable time. Andy had me run some line test and we determined that I was having some packet loss.

I have since talked with my isp provider and have done some trouble shooting and it appears to be my router causing the problem. Everything works perfect when I connect the modem directly to my computer.

This problem appears to be only with Smugmug but I think it may just be the nature of the smugmug site that makes it more noticable than other sites.

Is it the phycial router that is causing this problem or the way I have the router set up. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Aaron.

Comments

• BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2009
    I helped a friend troubleshoot a similiar problem with his router and just doing a firmware upgrade and reset fixed many of these issues. The way his router was configured by an "expert" was to set a priority for webpage surfing and put packet size limits on and a stupid short DHCP lease... which I can go on and one about the problems. But just resetting everything and updating the firmware fixed it all in about 3 minutes.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2009
    Aaron Jors wrote:

Is it the phycial router that is causing this problem or the way I have the router set up. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Aaron.

Sometimes it is both. Routers are little computers afterall, and there are bugs, and conflicts. As BradforBenn suggests, best first step is to 1)go to your router manufacturers support site, and make sure you have the latest firmware, upgrade as needed. 2) reset your router by pushing the reset button on the back, often a tiny, resessed button. Be sure to save your SSID, security and other personal settings. Best not to keep your ports, redirects or any other settings but your SSID and security type/password.
  • Aaron JorsAaron Jors Registered Users Posts: 470 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2009
    Thanks guys just needed to update the firmware.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2009
    Aaron Jors wrote:
    Thanks guys just needed to update the firmware.
    Woop! Dgrin experts to the rescue bowdown.gif