My first fashion show (c&c appreciated)

marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
edited April 11, 2009 in People
I volunteered to photograph my college's runway fashion show to get more experience. I was wondering what you guys thought about the capture and the pp (some I think can be lightened some more but I'm not sure) and if they're good enough to be put into my portfolio. There's an ad for third-shooter/photographer assistant that I thought I might apply to, and I just wanted to make sure I have good shots. The photographer does weddings, which would be a good opportunity for me to learn. I'd like to break into fashion photography one day, though. Anyway, there's more pictures (like 300 more, goodness) and I just really started sorting them out. More to follow later, hopefully :wink

509834382_f2zSK-L.jpg

509834362_vQa6h-L.jpg

509834326_edmVG-L.jpg

509834303_LXo6c-L.jpg

509834283_MYWWh-L.jpg

Comments

• Matt SMatt S Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2009
    Number 4 has some interesting lighting coming from both sides and it really helps make it a more dynamic photo. It's apparent that this was low light high ISO shooting and you can only do so much to fight noise so I will leave that alone. The shots are pretty well composed, but none of them jumped out at me. You really needed some flash help, but I would not be surprised if it was prohibited. Too bad really as the ambient exposure shows too much of the distracting gymnasium background. Of the ones you posted I prefer #1 and #4.

As to the photography gig, I say go for it. Be very picky in what you choose to submit for review and hope for the best. I think it's a great opportunity to learn. Let us know if you get the gig.
    Thanks, Matt

My Site
  • marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2009
    Hi, Matt! I don't think the flash was prohibited, but I was worried it might momentarily blind them while they walked since I was directly in front of them most of the time. I did have my 580EX on the camera, though. Maybe I should have pushed the ISO instead of compensating with Photoshop? Something for me to munch on. I'm always hesitant to crank up the ISO.

Also, I wanted to show that I could capture an event with this series, but I did try to experiment with the background in some of these new ones I'm posting.

6. Am I supposed to smooth out skin for runway photography? Or is it a more journalistic approach?
    510072343_iDQt9-XL.jpg

510072316_WMDw7-L.jpg

8>
    510072263_zK34j-L.jpg

9. (blurred everything but the subject)
    510072243_DFcQi-L.jpg

10. (blurred everything but the subject)
    510072275_o2PUy-L.jpg
    edited April 11, 2009
    Matt S wrote:

As to the photography gig, I say go for it. Be very picky in what you choose to submit for review and hope for the best. I think it's a great opportunity to learn. Let us know if you get the gig.
    I was thinking of just cleaning up my smugmug gallery and putting that on the resume. I forgot to mention that it's part time, and from reading the listing, the photographer just wants someone who has a working knowledge of Adobe software and basic camera skills:
    -Availability for 6-12 hours of studio work per week, which may include client scheduling, preliminary editing, equipment preparation for shoots and graphic design work based on experience.
    -Availability for an additional 2-8 hours per week (varies) to assist on location with portrait and wedding shoots.
    -Some shooting experience required; photojournalism and wedding photography experience is a plus but not necessary.
    -Working knowledge of Adobe applications including Photoshop and Lightroom
    -Reliable transportation
    -Positive attitude and a willingness to learn
    -Photography equipment will be supplied for all portrait and wedding shoots.
    This is a great opportunity for a photography/graphic design student or hobbyist who is looking to gain knowledge and experience in photography. Interested candidates, please submit your resume.

I see the merit in what you're saying, though. I suppose if they call me for an interview I can bring (my best) prints in a portfolio. Actually, I'm not sure if there's a protocol in submitting portfolios for review - when, how, etc. I will definitely update if I get it lol - thanks, Matt :) Fingers crossed.
  • Matt SMatt S Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2009
    I like some of these better. As to the ISO yes you should bump it. It will be better than bringing up the detail in photoshop. I don't know about the skin treatments, I suppose it depends on who you are shooting for. If you are working in an editorial capacity (news, mag, etc.) then certainly no treatments. For anything commercial, including promoting the event for your school, I would say you want touch them up to make the shots as great as possible.

That job description sounds pretty good. I would consider taking the time to make a little portfolio book, it might be what separates you from the rest. Again best of luck.
    Thanks, Matt

My Site
    edited April 11, 2009
    Matt S wrote:
    As to the ISO yes you should bump it. It will be better than bringing up the detail in photoshop.

Gosh, now that I think about it, I could kick myself over the head for not taking advantage of the auto ISO on the mkii...headscratch.gif There's a lot about my new camera that I am still learning lol.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2009
    Nice series! #2 is awesome.
    Watched for the chopped of feet though (e.g. #5)
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited April 11, 2009
    Thanks, Nik - you are definitely right about those feet. Now I know for next time lol.

#2 is my favorite. It's one thing to have taken the shot and another to have witnessed the model suddenly perform the pose. She walked down the ramp and then BAM! She twisted her torso like that in one fluid motion and I was like bowdown.gif I was so stunned by it that I almost missed the shot!