Mesquite Dunes - a little bit of light

wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
edited April 14, 2009 in Landscapes
780-c1579.jpg
Anybody can do it.

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited April 11, 2009
    I do like this. The composition is easy on the eyes. It has a somewhat surreal look to it as well.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2009
    Very nice, the branches are a nice touch

I was there last month and the place was full of footprints.
    Rags
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2009
    ian408 wrote:
    I do like this. The composition is easy on the eyes. It has a somewhat surreal look to it as well.

Thanks Ian.
    Anybody can do it.
    edited April 11, 2009
    torags wrote:
    Very nice, the branches are a nice touch

I was there last month and the place was full of footprints.

Thank you. I was very fortunate.
    Anybody can do it.
  • ideamanideaman Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited April 11, 2009
    Very unique and nice. At first glance, it looks like 3D digital rendering.
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2009
    I like this also Walter. I would try coloring the sky with a surreal violet or something, but that's just me.
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2009
    Very nice- I love the texture and composition. thumb.gif

Cheers,
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2009
    Very nice, Walter!!
    Great composition and shapes! thumb.gif

I see a bit of a green cast in the shadow areas, it that natural or should I invest some time in recalibrating my monitor?
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
    edited April 11, 2009
    Yikes. Very green according to the color checker here.

Interesting.

Tried something different now.
    Anybody can do it.
    edited April 13, 2009
    A little update:

I've been all over this trying to figure out why the images before and after don't have the green caste/tinge to them and this one does. Thinking about it I believe it may be due to the resultant light from a 'green flash.'

A green flash is more often associated with the ocean at sunset, but they do occur at sunrise, and can happen anywhere when the conditions are right. I was trying to capture the exact moment the light came over the horizon, and as I read more and more about these, it makes more sense. I'm thinking I may have captured more than just a photo of pristine dunes.
    Anybody can do it.
  • grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,537 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2009
    ian408 wrote:
    It has a somewhat surreal look to it as well.

I agree. I think it is due to the white sky which actually works for me. I really like the lines and highlights in the shot. Nice work
    edited April 13, 2009
    grimace wrote:
    I agree. I think it is due to the white sky which actually works for me. I really like the lines and highlights in the shot. Nice work

Thanks. Now that I understand what caused the green caste I'm going to see if I can leave some of the subtle color in the sky next time around.
    Anybody can do it.
    edited April 14, 2009
    wfeller wrote:
    A little update:

I've been all over this trying to figure out why the images before and after don't have the green caste/tinge to them and this one does. Thinking about it I believe it may be due to the resultant light from a 'green flash.'

A green flash is more often associated with the ocean at sunset, but they do occur at sunrise, and can happen anywhere when the conditions are right. I was trying to capture the exact moment the light came over the horizon, and as I read more and more about these, it makes more sense. I'm thinking I may have captured more than just a photo of pristine dunes.

WOW!!!! I've heard of the green flash (in fact theres a nice little breakfast spot down on the beach near here called The Green Flash) but I've yet to see it for myself. To have captured such a phenomenon in such an out of the ordinary setting is truly amazing!

Since it's truly natural (and utterly spectacular) to the capture, I say bring it back to the way it looked in the your first post and congratulations on a truly unique image!! clap.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • riddim_makerriddim_maker Registered Users Posts: 1,835 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2009
    CWSkopec wrote:
    Very nice, Walter!!
    Great composition and shapes! thumb.gif

I see a bit of a green cast in the shadow areas, it that natural or should I invest some time in recalibrating my monitor?
    15524779-Ti.gif But then, I can't be too sure since my monitor is due for a calibration
    Russ
    edited April 14, 2009
    CWSkopec wrote:
    WOW!!!! I've heard of the green flash (in fact theres a nice little breakfast spot down on the beach near here called The Green Flash) but I've yet to see it for myself. To have captured such a phenomenon in such an out of the ordinary setting is truly amazing!

Since it's truly natural (and utterly spectacular) to the capture, I say bring it back to the way it looked in the your first post and congratulations on a truly unique image!! clap.gif

Thanks- For now I'm going to have to get back to work. I keep drifting off into parts/directories unknown.

I used to hang out at the beach when I was a kid. I saw the flash a few times, but never took note of what it did to the colors around me. Didn't call it a flash either, we called it, "Dude, that was wierd."

How's Lulu treating you? I'll have to get a copy of your book once my thing rocks back the other way. Looks interesting.

-
    Anybody can do it.
    edited April 14, 2009
    wfeller wrote:
    Thanks- For now I'm going to have to get back to work. I keep drifting off into parts/directories unknown.

I used to hang out at the beach when I was a kid. I saw the flash a few times, but never took note of what it did to the colors around me. Didn't call it a flash either, we called it, "Dude, that was wierd."

How's Lulu treating you? I'll have to get a copy of your book once my thing rocks back the other way. Looks interesting.

-

I imagine if I had ever seen the flash my reaction would have been the same as yours!! rolleyes1.gif

Lulu's treating us pretty good so far... It's only been about a week since the book went up for public offering but we're seeing some hits, a couple sales (nothing to get rich from, but maybe I can buy a couple new filters to add to my camera bag). Dad's got a whole marketing plan to get the word out and hopefully generate more interest but in the end we're both very pleased with the outcome and it was a great chance to work with the "old man" on a project!

Thanks for your interest, sounds like we've already got you convinced but if you'd like to see the little PDF preview I made, PM me your email address.
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos