Experimenting with portraits c&c please

lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
edited April 12, 2009 in People
Ok...still a newbie. My friend spent the night last night with her little girl and this morning I wanted to try out something. I did this on a complete whim, just to try it out. I hung a sheet by a window and used on camera flash with low output.

I already know what is wrong with it, but i just want to know if i'm on the right track here. This is the first time trying a "studio" type shot. I set up, took the pictures, and pp'd them in about 25 minutes because she needed to get home.

things that I can see wrong:
1. I know the crop is off. the little girl is 19 months old and wanted nothing to do with getting her picture done. It was also around naptime so she was sort of crabby. This is one of the best posed ones that came out of it. Ideally, her hands would've been in the pose.
2. The only sheet I had was a brand new out of the package sheet, so it was pretty wrinkled. I did my best in pp to get rid of the wrinkles. Again, ideally it would be wrinkle free
3. Exposure may be a little off? I've been staring at it for a while but can't get it right.

Anyway like I said my first attempt, just want to know if i'm on the right track or if i'm WAY off.

thanks in advance for the input

15s9094.jpg

Comments

• lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2009
    wanted to throw another one in from yesterday

3026fsx.jpg
  • ladytxladytx Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2009
    It is a very difficult task to get a smiley, nice photo of a child that does not to cooperate ... lol. I see all the things that you are talking about in the photo and yes a smile would have been better but those beautiful blue eyes stand out. Anyway, I played with the photo some.

I added some contrast, added some saturation and sharpened her eyes. I also cropped it some. Does it look better to you?

510785970_yve7M-L.jpg
    LadyTX
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2009
    It is cute.....and this is the child at that time.....there is noting wrong with wrinkles in the background it gives a sense of depth and texture even in Hi-key shooting I have seen wrinkles fold and blousing (ruffles so to speak in drapes) in draped backgrounds.......
    I would aslo turn this shot into a vertical.....It makes a very good head and shoulders shot.....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• afev0602afev0602 Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2009
    I agree with Art...crop the left side. If your going to get a shot of them on their stomach like that your going to want to show more on the bottom of the photo.
    Well, I guess you would call me... genus, humanus... Alice.
    http://aliceswonderland.smugmug.com/
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2009
    I absolutely agree with the crop and the pose. I didn't think about croping it as a head/shoulder shot, but I bet that would work better. And the more contrasted photo looks a lot better!

That being said I did this rather quickly and was more or less testing the setup of with sheet and the window light because I have no external flashes or lighting at the moment and just wanted to see if I could do something this way. Does it work? Thanks so much for the input!