3 to choose from for #23

Velvet-ArtVelvet-Art Registered Users Posts: 292 Major grins
edited April 16, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hi there folks, I missed out on the month long challenge, I kept putting it off and then never got round to it.

Anyways, here's my little idea for #23, I've got 3 versions to choose from so please help me choose / comment on what I should've done different.

510104244_q53Kx-L.jpg

510102556_dFCgN-L.jpg

510103253_EbZXA-L.jpg

I figure on "Parched Water" or "Dusty Thirst" as a title.

So - waddya all think?? Any good??

Tim

Comments

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited April 11, 2009
    1 and 3 look good. Its definately an interesting concept. Do you have any with the top of the spout showing? I am curious.
  • Velvet-ArtVelvet-Art Registered Users Posts: 292 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2009
    JAG wrote:
    1 and 3 look good. Its definately an interesting concept. Do you have any with the top of the spout showing? I am curious.

Thanks for commenting, I have one shot including the top of the tap, but the sand was only trickling out on it. I might set it up and re-shoot tomorrow afternoon to get the full tap in.

Tim
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2009
    Cool concept. How did you ever find a faucet that shoots sand instead of water? clap.gif
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2009
    #1 here is doing the most for me, but I agree, it's worth a reshoot to get the tap in. There's a fair amount on the right side that isn't doing much for the composition, so you may want to crop closer there. Great concept!
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2009
    I definitely agree with everything's that been said. If a reshoot is not an option, I'd go for #1 ^_^
  • DRabbitDRabbit Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2009
    I like the lighting/contrast of #1 and #3, but I like the way the sand is flowing in #2. Great concept!
    Amy :D
    Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

The Dang Gallery on DangRabbit - Follow me on Twitter or on Facebook
    Leica M8: Zeiss 35mm f/2 Biogon and 50mm f/2 Planar; Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5, 50mm f/1.5 Nokton and 75mm f/2.5 Heliar
    Olympus E-P1: Zuiko 14-42 and 25mm f/2.8 Pancake; Panasonic 45-200mm and 20mm f/1.7; and M-to-m4/3 adaptor
    Olympus e620: Zuiko 14-54 f/2.8-3.5

edited April 12, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Cool concept. How did you ever find a faucet that shoots sand instead of water? clap.gif

Ah now that would be telling!! But seriously, if folk are interested I'll take a setup shot when I reshoot later on today.
    #1 here is doing the most for me, but I agree, it's worth a reshoot to get the tap in. There's a fair amount on the right side that isn't doing much for the composition, so you may want to crop closer there. Great concept!

Thanks for the cropping advice, I found croppng this one a bit difficult as like you say there isn't much happening on the right, and there's not much happening on the left of the sand either!! Maybe I'll crop to a upright panorama!!

Thank you all for your kind comments, I hope to do a reshoot this afternoon and then I'll post the results here.

Tim
  • photographic-zenphotographic-zen Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited April 12, 2009
    in reply
    Number 1 seems to be under exposed more than #3. #2 is way to over exposed, so yeah- in my opinion, #3 for sure!
    Velvet-Art wrote:
    Hi there folks, I missed out on the month long challenge, I kept putting it off and then never got round to it.

Anyways, here's my little idea for #23, I've got 3 versions to choose from so please help me choose / comment on what I should've done different.

510104244_q53Kx-L.jpg

510102556_dFCgN-L.jpg

510103253_EbZXA-L.jpg

I figure on "Parched Water" or "Dusty Thirst" as a title.

So - waddya all think?? Any good??

Tim
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2009
    My first impression is "WOW!!! What an awesome concept!!"

But I have to echo the others, I'd like to see the top of the faucet... if you do the reshoot, I'd love to see the set up on this one... my brain's in overdrive trying to figure out how you would have made this happen! thumb.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
    edited April 12, 2009
    Ok folks, I've just done a re-shoot and here's 3 more for your comments and opinions.

510786350_tRXLF-L.jpg

510786554_kGt3w-L.jpg

510789037_fAJvE-L.jpg

So, what's your opinion on these? Which would you choose?

Thanks in advance for looking.

Tim
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2009
    #6 for me...composition is much betterthumb.gif
    Love all the textures too
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
    edited April 12, 2009
    ic4u wrote:
    #6 for me...composition is much betterthumb.gif

Wow!! that's gotta be the fastest reply ever!! Thanks for your comments

Tim
  • HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2009
    Ditto on #6. Cool concept!
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2009
    I agree! 6 looks AWESOME!! thumb.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
    edited April 12, 2009
    Thanks guys for your kind comments, it's looking good for #6.

Tim
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2009
    The latest three are much better than the originals. I really liked #4 until I saw #6... thumb.gif

My only nitpick on #6 is I wish there was more space at the top of the image.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
    edited April 13, 2009
    BeachBill wrote:
    The latest three are much better than the originals. I really liked #4 until I saw #6... thumb.gif

I should be able to re-crop to give a little more space at the top, I've just looked at the original and it has some more space at the top. I'll see what I can do when I get some time.

Thanks for looking

Tim
    edited April 13, 2009
    BeachBill wrote:

Ok, I've re-cropped it, there was just a little more space in the original.

How's this version?

#6.5 "Parched Water"
    511581714_ahCib-L.jpg

What do you all think?

Tim
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2009
    I really like #6, but what struck me is that it suddenly felt like I was watching gold dust poring out of the spigot. The colours are beautiful, but not parched. Unless, of course you were going for saturated.
    edited April 13, 2009
    michswiss wrote:
    I really like #6, but what suddenly struck me is that it suddenly felt like I was watching gold dust poring out of the spigot. The colours are beautiful, but not parched. Unless, of course you were going for saturated.

Thanks for your comments, what I was aiming for was not parched colours but the idea that the water had dried up and been "parched" into dust or sand. I did find it hard not to over-light the sand to try and keep it as dark as possble to make it look like dust.

Maybe if I titled it "Parched Water" it would make it a bit clearer?

Tim
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2009
    The last one is a nice crop. Two things struck me throughout. First, and maybe it's not a real problem, the background is very bright and tends to draw my eye to the upper left. The second is that with the full faucet shots, I'm finding myself focusing more on the faucet that the 'water'. Maybe decrease the exposure in the white areas a little and either darken the faucet or increase the contrast/clarity of the 'water' to draw the eye there. Could be just my odd eyes, though.
  • sdways01sdways01 Registered Users Posts: 151 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2009
    I think this is a great idea. I like #1 the best.
    http://www.adamclarkmedia.com

"If you saw a man drowning and you could either save him or photograph the event...what kind of film would you use?" - Anonymous
    edited April 14, 2009
    hawkeye978 wrote:
    The last one is a nice crop. Two things struck me throughout. First, and maybe it's not a real problem, the background is very bright and tends to draw my eye to the upper left. The second is that with the full faucet shots, I'm finding myself focusing more on the faucet that the 'water'. Maybe decrease the exposure in the white areas a little and either darken the faucet or increase the contrast/clarity of the 'water' to draw the eye there. Could be just my odd eyes, though.

Hi there, thank you for your comments, I've had a little fiddle with the exposures on this one, what do you think of this edit?

#7 "Parched Water"

512363358_4gKCA-L.jpg

Any better / worse?

Tim
    edited April 14, 2009
    Velvet-Art wrote:
    Hi there, thank you for your comments, I've had a little fiddle with the exposures on this one, what do you think of this edit?

#7 "Parched Water"

512363358_4gKCA-L.jpg

Any better / worse?

Tim

It looks like you just lowered the exposure on the entire image. To my eye (admittedly old and fuzzy) it doesn't look like that separated the faucet/water from the background. Maybe generate a mask to select the bright background and then use curves to darken somewhat. I love the peeling paint in the background but the blank white on the left seems to pull my eye over there.
    edited April 14, 2009
    hawkeye978 wrote:
    It looks like you just lowered the exposure on the entire image. To my eye (admittedly old and fuzzy) it doesn't look like that separated the faucet/water from the background. Maybe generate a mask to select the bright background and then use curves to darken somewhat. I love the peeling paint in the background but the blank white on the left seems to pull my eye over there.

I left the faucet and sand as was, but gradually darkened the background graduated from left to right to blend it in, I guess I blended it too much!! Laughing.gif

I've darkened the background again, I didnt want to go too far though, so it's just a subtle change, plus a slight re-crop.

#8 "Parched Water"

512525136_X4vkt-L.jpg

How's this edit?

Tim

(btw, thanks for taking the time to comment on my little effort and point me in the right direction, I appreciate it thumb.gif)

Edited to replace the image as I'm an idiot and didnt look closely at the 1st one to see I'd messed up the PP.
    edited April 14, 2009
    It does appear that the faucet is standing out more from the background. This will help draw the viewer to the subject.
    edited April 14, 2009
    hawkeye978 wrote:
    It does appear that the faucet is standing out more from the background. This will help draw the viewer to the subject.

Thanks for your input on this, I appreciate all comments to help me improve

Tim
  • BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2009
    This is a brilliant idea, and your latest version is very well done. I like the absurdity and irony of the image. Makes me laugh and reminds me of the "lip balm" scene in Three Amigos! rolleyes1.gif
    Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!
  • SwintonianSwintonian Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited April 14, 2009
    I like #1. The sand pattern is most interesting to me. I like the titles too. I am guessing you had a funnel or something up high? It leaves me asking questions. Not sure if that is good or bad. headscratch.gif

"Arid Fountain" another name possible? Something like that? Great concept.
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2009
    15524779-Ti.gif I hope, and can't wait for an explanation as to just how you did this... very interesting.