Epson R1900 Printing Too Dard - Please Help

KiwiLightKiwiLight Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
edited April 19, 2009 in Digital Darkroom
Hey,

I have an Epson R1900 Stylus and have recently been printing some color and black white images. Unfortunately, the images have been coming out too dark (particularly the black and white). On the color images, it is about half a stop darker and black and white it is about 1 and half stops darker than what is represented on my monitor.

I have been printing from Photoshop Lightroom 2, with photoshop controlling the color with the correct ICC and paper profiles selected.

Has anyone come across this issue or perhaps could suggest a different approach?

Thanks

www.richpics.co.nz
Visit my site:

www.richpics.co.nz

Comments

• mrt10xmrt10x Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited April 13, 2009
    I dont think this has anything to do with your printer.. it is the calibration between your screen..which is too bright and your printer. I am still trying to get this all figured out..but calibrating your screen to your printer seems to be one of the great struggles of printing your own work.
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2009
    The perceived darkness of a print has a lot to do with the light under which it's viewed. I have the same "problem" as the OP with my P1800. Under most lighting conditions, I think my prints are too dark, but if I take them to a nice bright area, they're fine. Print for the light you think your prints will be viewed in. I also use Lightroom for all my printing, and find I'm happier if I generally juice the exposure by 1/4 stop before printing.

But if you aren't using a calibrated monitor you're working at the problem from the wrong end.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • KiwiLightKiwiLight Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited April 19, 2009
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies. I am using a calibrated monitor (Huey Pro). I found that by selecting 'perceptual' and not 'relative' the prints came out a bit brighter... still too dark though. I am really having to compensate on the brightness to get the correct print.

Keep the suggestions coming!

Rich headscratch.gif
    Visit my site:

www.richpics.co.nz