Poor man's macro: A leg's thingie.

jaxjax Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
edited April 12, 2009 in Holy Macro
Did some testing with a Canon FD 50mm 1.8 lens today. Tried it reversed (on a 20mm extension tube) and 'normal' also on the tube and the DIY fd-eos adapter.

Millipede

When I tried to grab this millipede it fell in a bit of water. This didn't stop the millipede for one second because even while submerged it walked around happily. When I then took it out, it felt alarmed and figured the best thing to do was to play dead. It was still doing so when I took this image. A few minutes later he was returned to his surroundings where he quickly went on his business.

3432619258_640e7e3dcc_o.jpg

Crab spider:

Philodromus cespitum, but not sure. :-) It's second pair of legs were definitely longer though. Crab spiders are so called because they sometimes walk sideways, like a crab does.

3432587602_7e5af916ba_o.jpg

3431834839_ebb57a9e43_o.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2009
    Not mad on the millipede but love the spider shots :)
    Brian V.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2009
    jax wrote:
    Did some testing with a Canon FD 50mm 1.8 lens today. Tried it reversed (on a 20mm extension tube) and 'normal' also on the tube and the DIY fd-eos adapter.

Millipede

When I tried to grab this millipede it fell in a bit of water. This didn't stop the millipede for one second because even while submerged it walked around happily. When I then took it out, it felt alarmed and figured the best thing to do was to play dead. It was still doing so when I took this image. A few minutes later he was returned to his surroundings where he quickly went on his business.

Crab spider:

Philodromus cespitum, but not sure. :-) It's second pair of legs were definitely longer though. Crab spiders are so called because they sometimes walk sideways, like a crab does.

Thanks for looking!

I think your Spiders shots better than your millipede clap.gif :ivar
    Your getting amazing sharpness with your setup of using a reversed lens.

Excellent shots thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • jaxjax Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2009
    thanks Skippy and Brian!

Yes, I wasn't very happy with any of the millipede shots I took. Either too shallow dof made them (understatement) not nice, or part of the millipede got left out. This one was the least bad :D
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited April 12, 2009
  • jaxjax Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2009
    thanks Phil!