Eeeek, my first time with models (15 img.)

ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
edited April 16, 2009 in People
Please forgive me for posting so many images :bow:bow

I'm not into model photography, but i had an opportunity to join my photo club on a shoot of two beautiful young ladies.
i said, what the heck, i'll just tag alone and see what i can come up with. :huh

After all said and done, I figured that i need to learn A LOT more about my lighting, especially metering. :scratch
Yep, it's never ending thing, to learn, isn't it? I haven't completely learned my camera as of yet, time to sit down and do it!

These are few of the shots i took, i'm not completely happy, but it was fun, and i learned few things, i hope....

Anywho, here are the ladies who were so kind to have us shoot them from every angle possible. We paid them $10.00 each for a model release, so i feel safe posting these.
I shall try this modeling thing more often, it's kind of fun :D

Would like to hear your honest opinions.

Kara and Amy.

510130228_Jv8pP-L-1.jpg

510135415_H8abM-L-1.jpg

510139716_JnWBD-L-1.jpg

510140850_2LTGp-L-1.jpg

510141369_hQnfH-L-1.jpg

510147418_ZUrsW-L-1.jpg

510124289_cMtry-L-1.jpg

510118288_vqNmt-L-1.jpg

510117563_3nExw-L-1.jpg

510101742_L3BCW-L-1.jpg

510098571_EtabZ-L-1.jpg

510268191_TeqHU-L.jpg

510266636_ex2Hr-L.jpg

510096903_4Udxs-L-1.jpg

510263660_d8MJo-L.jpg
Marina
www.intruecolors.com
Nikon D700 x2/D300
Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2009
    Marina,
    I think you did very well. #2 is the real keeper. Looks like you had willing and capable models, good weather and you ladies simply had a lot of fun.
    Keep doing this and you will a handle of lighting, posing, etc.
    thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2009
    I love #1 and #2. #1 seems like it could be cropped a bit from the left, but that's just my 2c. Great stuff - oh, I just looked at them again and #8 is also fantastic lol thumb.gif
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Marina,
    I think you did very well. #2 is the real keeper. Looks like you had willing and capable models, good weather and you ladies simply had a lot of fun.
    Keep doing this and you will a handle of lighting, posing, etc.
    thumb.gif

Thank you Nick, my issue is metering in a hard lighting situations, i can't simply figure it out. Got to go read something, somewhere.
    Thanks again! thumb.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    edited April 11, 2009
    marikris wrote:
    I love #1 and #2. #1 seems like it could be cropped a bit from the left, but that's just my 2c. Great stuff - oh, I just looked at them again and #8 is also fantastic lol thumb.gif

Thank you marikris, i'm aware of that crop thing, i tried to keep it 8x10 ratio, and keep model's full body in, without cutting any parts. :D

Thanks again!
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2009
    I've looked a couple times and although I
    don't know squat ............

I know I like what ya did hear very much thumb.gif
    edited April 11, 2009
    ShepsMom wrote:
    Thank you Nick, my issue is metering in a hard lighting situations, i can't simply figure it out. Got to go read something, somewhere.
    Thanks again! thumb.gif
    If you are not using flash (i.e. ambient light only) there is not much to meter, albeit in some case lightmeter can still help, since human eye simply does not "get" the shadows the way camera does. Experience and test shots do help.:-)
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2009
    ShepsMom wrote:
    Thanks again! thumb.gif

Do you have a handheld incident meter.....that can save you a ton of time and worries.......I have 2 for sale in my for sale thread.......

You did a very good job....now I am curious about pic 5, is that funky cool flair on her leg or a dayglo TAT??? :D

If you can find copies of the 2000 thru 2003 SI Swimsuit DVD's look at them......the photogs still use handheld meters....model shooting (people shooting in general) does not allow time for histogram persusing....that is lost time.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• StuicideStuicide Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited April 12, 2009
    I think they are some amazing images. I personally really enjoy the style and composition of #5 the best, but there are a lot of great images.

Good job!
  • TangoJulietTangoJuliet Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2009
    With a little more soft fill light, #13 would be my favorite, and I like #10 too. Something about the models left foot in #1 spoils it for me though. I think over all you did very well clap.gif , and I hope I find the opportunity to shoot such beautiful models soon.
    edited April 12, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    If you are not using flash (i.e. ambient light only) there is not much to meter, albeit in some case lightmeter can still help, since human eye simply does not "get" the shadows the way camera does. Experience and test shots do help.:-)

Nick, all these were shot w/out a flash, it was good light, probably an hour before the sunset, but then, when it started to get darker, all hell broke lose. I tossed all those images away!! I used flash, and i think i didn't know what the heck i was doing, i couldn't find correct setting, histogram didn't really help me much, and i was just totally POd at the whole situation. So, that is why i absolutely hate nighttime photography, not my thing, or i shall say i'm not quiet knowledgeable about how to... :cry
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    edited April 12, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    Do you have a handheld incident meter.....that can save you a ton of time and worries.......I have 2 for sale in my for sale thread.......

You did a very good job....now I am curious about pic 5, is that funky cool flair on her leg or a dayglo TAT??? :D

If you can find copies of the 2000 thru 2003 SI Swimsuit DVD's look at them......the photogs still use handheld meters....model shooting (people shooting in general) does not allow time for histogram persusing....that is lost time.

Hey Art!
    I have no such thing, nor would i know how to use it. Tell me more about handheld meters, please? So you said you're selling yours, what do you use instead?
    #5 was just a flair, i kind of liked it, so i left it there. :D
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    edited April 12, 2009
    bfjr wrote:
    I've looked a couple times and although I
    don't know squat ............

I know I like what ya did hear very much thumb.gif

Ben, how the heck are you? Thanks man, i can never compete with your birds!! mwink.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    edited April 12, 2009
    Stuicide and Tango, thank you guys for your comments!thumb.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2009
    ShepsMom wrote:
    Ben, how the heck are you? Thanks man, i can never compete with your birds!! mwink.gif

You don't need to ever !!

Hey tell ya what I'll trade a few of my birdies, if ya can
    get your birdie here to lie on my rail at home like that iloveyou.gif :wow rolleyes1.gif

Strictly from a photographic standpoint of course :ivar mwink.gif
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2009
    You've done GREAT!!! iloveyou.gif My favorite is #10, I like the pose and the expression of the girl ... followed by #5, 6 & 8 (although I'm not a bit fan of the grassy shadows on her legs)

You definitely got some for "the book"! Congrats clap.gif
    edited April 12, 2009
    ShepsMom wrote:
    Nick, all these were shot w/out a flash, it was good light, probably an hour before the sunset, but then, when it started to get darker, all hell broke lose. I tossed all those images away!! I used flash, and i think i didn't know what the heck i was doing, i couldn't find correct setting, histogram didn't really help me much, and i was just totally POd at the whole situation. So, that is why i absolutely hate nighttime photography, not my thing, or i shall say i'm not quiet knowledgeable about how to... :cry

Laughing.gif, you *do* need to come to my workshop.... rolleyes1.gif
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2009
    ShepsMom wrote:
    Hey Art!
    I have no such thing, nor would i know how to use it. Tell me more about handheld meters, please? So you said you're selling yours, what do you use instead?
    #5 was just a flair, i kind of liked it, so i left it there. :D

Here is the one that I am selling.......your camera does reflected light and this does incident (the light falling on the subject )
    509940756_EumUX-M.jpg
    This has served me well doing weddings, portraits, MODEL PORTFOLIOS in and out of the studio......oh the litttle thing attached by the wire is a radio frequency transmitter.....it fires my lights......any way......you have the meter nead (white dome) pointed towards the light source and you push the button and it reads the light falling on the subject........there is a whale of a difference in readings from incident and reflected......with an incident meter you should never blow out the sbuject.....with somesubjects it is still a good idea to
    bracket one or two shots either way.....but you will be soooo close to a perfect exposure that you can do exposure adjustments during raw processing to see the difference..........

Now this is my NEW INCIDENT METER SEKONIC L-558 .......it even does refelcted 1* spot metering which is why I bought it for landscapes and such.......
    509940676_fU6qG-M.jpg
    this meter and the ones I am selling do the same exact job but this one has more abilites to average more meter readings if I need to.....it also has a built in Pocket Wizard triggger....but I do not use pocket wizards so I hook my flash trigger up by pc cable as shown in this photo and also in the photo of the Minolta Flash Meter lll above.

Basically al the meters work very much alike you either digitally set you ISO (or ASA) or you set it by a thumb wheel.....then you set the shutter speed you want to shoot at.....then you press the measure button and the flash fires andyou get a read out showing your aperture......all of these meters like the ones above.actually average ambeint light with the flash of a strobe.....that is the simplist way to use one......and this has saved my butt more than once......before i got a meter I carried a 100' tape measure and would measure the distance from flash to subject and shoot a buch of frames noting each frame and what aperture and what shutter speed.......then I figured out what film was costing me and how much time I had lost and bought a meter......I still meter even when shooting in ambient light....as incident readings are actually more correct than reflected.....in fact there was a company that made a dome lid to fit over the lens so you could take incident readings with a camera......that was a fiasco in itself:D:D

hth at least a little.....i am not the best at explaining things ................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2009
    well done. I love the lighting, expressions, poses, etc. My only nit is that in some of the shots the background is distracting..ie it is too busy and take focus away from the lovely models (1,4, and 6).
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2009
    Great Shots thumb.gif

My fav is #10

The D300 has a light meter built in if you keep the scale on the top display at center or near center you should get good results.
    Left of center on the meter is darker and right of center is brighter.

Take Care,
    Chuck
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • rhondavidrhondavid Registered Users Posts: 433 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2009
    Well you say you are not into model but these are some great model shots. Girls seem to know what to do and you did a good job capturing them. Keep up the good work.
    David

D40
    18 - 55 kit lens
    55- 200 VR kit lens
    Lots of desires