DSS #23: Parched - what do you think?

marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
edited April 13, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
I had the opportunity to go out and shoot something a couple of days ago, a fashion show put on by my college. While they were setting up, I hunted for a good picture - I actually thought I'd end up with "saturated," but this one came out "parched." What do you think?

510499295_J4Y5H-L.jpg

Comments

• Velvet-ArtVelvet-Art Registered Users Posts: 292 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2009
    Hi there, I have to say that this does not shout "parched" to me, but maybe that's just me.

The blown out highlights on the makeup girl's back and hair are a bit distracting to me.

Tim
  • HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2009
    I agree with Velvet-Art on both counts. I like the image and the treatment in general. The troublesome blown out highlights could be fixed by a tighter crop on the top and left. This would have the additional benefit of focusing the viewer's eye on the action--the model's face.
  • marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2009
    Hrmm...I was thinking parched lips/parched treatment, but if that's not obvious, then I see how that could be problematic lol. Thanks guys, back to the drawing board for me.
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2009
    I don't mind the blown highlights... Normally when you see blown highlights, they look accidental. Here it looks like you purposefully processed for that look and I think it works. It actually draws my attention to where the action is.

That said, I agree with the others. I'm just not seeing the connection to parched. Very nice image though!
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2009
    CWSkopec wrote:
    I don't mind the blown highlights... Normally when you see blown highlights, they look accidental. Here it looks like you purposefully processed for that look and I think it works. It actually draws my attention to where the action is.

Thanks - that was actually what I was trying to attempt, so I'm glad it worked to some degree. I will definitely think of other ways to show "parched" instead of thinking too much about parched colors primarily.