Daybreak at Bryce Canyon

riddim_makerriddim_maker Registered Users Posts: 1,835 Major grins
edited April 15, 2009 in Landscapes
Here's another HDR pick from my winter trek through the southwestern US
This is probably an unusual shot of Bryce Cyn. since most of the red rock is covered by snow.
As usual, C&C are welcome :stud or :whip

510946900_xD3DL-O.jpg
Russ

Comments

• Picture North CarolinaPicture North Carolina Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited April 12, 2009
    Wow. Look at the light on those ridges. Excellent work.

SmugMug Gallery | Website | Like my Facebook page, I'll like yours
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2009
    Truly wonderful image--I especially like the sun beams, and the lighting is superb. Some of the snow sparkles jump out on my screen as artifacts and are a bit distracting--easy to fix though.

Nice work!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,537 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2009
    Very nice work!! Love the color and the fact there is still shadows in an HDR shot. bowdown.gif
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2009
    love that dawn light on the ridges... absolutely beautiful! i bet it was a bit nippy there, though, at 8000 feet in the snow at sunup... eek7.gif
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2009
    Very nice image. You got good symmetric sun streams
    Rags
  • scolescole Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2009
    Nce job with the HDR processing- it looks natural and not overdone. You might want to rotate the image counter-clockwise since the horizon is slightly slanted.
  • riddim_makerriddim_maker Registered Users Posts: 1,835 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2009
    Wow. Look at the light on those ridges. Excellent work.
    Much appreciated thumb.gif
    Russ
    edited April 13, 2009
    redleash wrote:
    Truly wonderful image--I especially like the sun beams, and the lighting is superb. Some of the snow sparkles jump out on my screen as artifacts and are a bit distracting--easy to fix though.

Nice work!

Lauren
    Thanks for your compliment Lauren and also for pointing the snow sparkles out to me.
    They didn't bother me that much until you mentioned it. I went ahead and toned them down a bit in my original.
    Russ
    edited April 13, 2009
    grimace wrote:
    Very nice work!! Love the color and the fact there is still shadows in an HDR shot. bowdown.gif
    Thanks Adam
    Russ
    edited April 13, 2009
    squirl033 wrote:
    love that dawn light on the ridges... absolutely beautiful! i bet it was a bit nippy there, though, at 8000 feet in the snow at sunup... eek7.gif
    Thanks Rocky. It was around 12 degrees F that morning, pretty nippy! mwink.gif:D
    Russ
    edited April 13, 2009
    torags wrote:
    Very nice image. You got good symmetric sun streams
    Thanks Rags
    Russ
  • annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 13, 2009
    What a beautiful scenery! Being a winter/snow/hiking enthusiast, I can certainly appreciate the effort needed to take a shot like this. thumb.gif Great work, especially with making a HDR look natural. One nitpick though: on my monitor (calibrated) the blues look a bit too saturated. Maybe toning them down just a notch would bring out the morning reds? Just a suggestion. :D

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2009
    Hey Russ, looks like while Landscapes is not your usual cup of tea, you've got the knack for it!

What a fantastic and different view of Bryce Canyon. I've never been there but see so many shots of the hoodoos I feel i know the place - but your take on it is completely new to me. thumb.gif
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    Hey Russ, looks like while Landscapes is not your usual cup of tea, you've got the knack for it!

15524779-Ti.gif

I really like the composition on this shot, and obviously the snow adds a lot to it. Bryce is on my southwest list.

Oh, and landscapes are easier than wildlife (IMO), so it should all be downhill from here for you :D
    edited April 14, 2009
    scole wrote:
    Nce job with the HDR processing- it looks natural and not overdone. You might want to rotate the image counter-clockwise since the horizon is slightly slanted.
    Thanks for your compliment Steve and also for the suggestion,
    I was more concerned with the color balance and missed that.
    I've gone ahead and made some of the suggested adjustments in the posted image.
    Let me know what you think
    Russ
    edited April 14, 2009
    annnna8888 wrote:
    What a beautiful scenery! Being a winter/snow/hiking enthusiast, I can certainly appreciate the effort needed to take a shot like this. thumb.gif Great work, especially with making a HDR look natural. One nitpick though: on my monitor (calibrated) the blues look a bit too saturated. Maybe toning them down just a notch would bring out the morning reds? Just a suggestion. :D

Ana
    Thanks for your compliment, empathy and suggestion, it was very cold indeed, brrr!
    Russ
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2009
    This is a really nice shot- love the light and the way the shadow detail has been extracted. Very nice HDR. thumb.gif

Cheers,
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2009
    Beautiful composition and light. The HDR treatment is nicely done, not overcooked.
    edited April 15, 2009
    schmoo wrote:

What a fantastic and different view of Bryce Canyon. I've never been there but see so many shots of the hoodoos I feel i know the place - but your take on it is completely new to me. thumb.gif

This trip really inspired me to get more into landscape photography, I really enjoyed it.
    Your compliment is much appreciated Schmoo.
    Russ
    edited April 15, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif

I really like the composition on this shot, and obviously the snow adds a lot to it. Bryce is on my southwest list.

Oh, and landscapes are easier than wildlife (IMO), so it should all be downhill from here for you :D
    rolleyes1.gif Yeah! from tracking swallows in flight at a hundred frames a second to standing around for hours
    waiting for the light and that one shot headscratch.gif:D
    Well I don't know about that. Ah! You know! It's all fun wings.gif :ivar wings.gif :ivar
    Russ
    edited April 15, 2009
    shniks wrote:
    This is a really nice shot- love the light and the way the shadow detail has been extracted. Very nice HDR. thumb.gif

Cheers,
    Thanks Nikhil
    Russ
    edited April 15, 2009
    hawkeye978 wrote:
    Beautiful composition and light. The HDR treatment is nicely done, not overcooked.
    Just to taste! Thanks my friend!
    Russ