Setting gamut warning and "proof" preview

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited June 4, 2006 in Finishing School
maybe this has been covered. I do know we talked about gamut as that is when I found out what it is. But I find myself dealing with green folliage right now. That is my Waterloo.

Right now I am not using the gamut warning on PS, but Ben Wilmore, in his valuable book, thanks Lynn, he says it can be reset, but one has to know what one is doing and do it correctly.

I am using the "proof preview", this is PS CS. It is more forgiving. I do need forgiveness, the gamut won't let me do anything green.

But the proof thing is using CMYK.

Help, if there is a thread on this, please point me to it, if not, how should I be setting this stuff. I know smugmug "expects" us to give them sRGB jpgs to print, so I am not sure about the CMYK. I am not "sure" about anything involving gamut, and green is the worst.

ginger
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2005
    Do you mean "proof setup?"

If I understand the question, you need to switch Proof Setup to use the right profile to proof against. Under View > Proof Setup, it's defaulting to CMYK, but if you are trying to preview sRGB, then you have to select the sRGB profile under View > Proof Setup. I don't think there is an sRGB profile in there by default, so you have a couple of choices. You can choose View > Proof Setup > Custom and make a new preset based on sRGB (I'd click Save so it's added to the menu), or you can get lazy and just use View > Proof Setup > Windows RGB which is sort of the same thing. Adobe might even be using sRGB for their Windows RGB preset, but I don't know.

If you wanted to simulate your printer on screen, you'd set up and choose your printer+paper profile in that menu.

Once it's set up, you can turn on Proof Colors and see any differences. I haven't read Ben's book but I hope he mentioned to use the Proof Colors keyboard shortcut to switch between current and proof view to see color differences. (Command-Y on Mac)
  • bmcfaddebmcfadde Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited June 4, 2006
    Out of gamut greens
    Ginger,

Misery loves company. Last weekend I took several photos of some very lush green foilage along a river bank. In CS2, all of the shadowed leaves are showing the out of gamut warning. I tried curves and levels to get those portions back within gamut...not much luck. I tried going to a wider gamut color space and there were fewer out of gamut leaves. However, soft proofing for the Epson R800 color space showed the the darker greens were still out of gamut. The printout confirmed this was a problem by giving me dark splotches. Doing a global desaturation got rid of the splothes but left me with very light colored leaves. Is this just a problem I am going to have to live with? Or, is there a better way to get those pesky greens back in gamut?