morning breeze, grand canyon

TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
edited May 20, 2009 in Landscapes
i took a little trip down south to Thee Grand Canyon and was able to catch a few snaps...

i would love to hear any C&C, thanks

510808789_dVvmD-L.jpg

and here is one i scouted out midday. i will hope to catch this in good light one day... hows the comp?
510815153_fQ6yQ-L.jpg
Aaron Nelson

Comments

• CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2009
    Number 1 is super cool, Aaron! I love the movement of the clouds! My only nit is that the clouds in front of the sun a blown out and a little distracting... any chance you've got another darker exposure you can mask in over that area?

I'm not sold on the comp for 2... maybe it's just the lighting... it'll certainly look better with sweet light on it, but if there any chance you can get higher and look down on this spot? Maybe show the "canyon" between these 2 rocks in the foreground and the actual canyon in the background? The might be an interesting relationship ne_nau.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2009
    1st one is very well done, I especially like the god beams coming across the right side.

2 for me is lacking in the actual subject of the photo....is it the almost skull looking boulder lodged between the 2 larger boulders?
    if so then I would get a slightly different perspective without the canyon walls in the background....no sky......coming from just slightly higher than the photo was currently taken to use the boulder walls as a guide to force you directly to the lodged boulder.

jmho
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2009
    Wow, that first shot is awesome. The sky and sun add drama. Maybe the second shot might do better as a black and white?
  • annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 13, 2009
    Wow, what was the exposure time in #1? Love those clouds. clap.gif

As for #2, even with sweet light this composition wouldn't work, IMHO. I would go for something more extreme, maybe ultra wide angle and shot from below (if you can squeeze between those two rocks rolleyes1.gif) or above. Concentrate on the wedged boulder and leave out the surroundings for greater impact? I hope you get to shot this again!

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2009
    The first one is fabulous - it's a great scenic view to begin with, but the sense of motion from the clouds adds an extra element of interest.
    As for the second one I think that location is promising, but with that lighting I had trouble focusing on the interesting rock formation as it was so dark compared to the surrounding daylight areas of the frame. A composition that more prominently highlights that formation or alternate lighting would be worth trying.

I miss the west...
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2009
    Aaron, both of these have great potential! They're both pretty good as it is, but I appreciate your persistence to stalk the location to get it all perfect. I like that neither of these are your typical GC shot! Love the clouds in the first.

Can't wait to see what you come up with :D
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    Aaron, both of these have great potential! They're both pretty good as it is, but I appreciate your persistence to stalk the location to get it all perfect. I like that neither of these are your typical GC shot! Love the clouds in the first.

Can't wait to see what you come up with :D

Agreed, really like the motion of the clouds in that first shot, also, of the two, I think it has a lot more potential on a return visit.
  • riddim_makerriddim_maker Registered Users Posts: 1,835 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2009
    Love that first image, very moody! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Russ
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2009
    The first one is definitely a beauty. Love the clouds. Maybe it's my monitor but the center of the sky seems a little hot.

On the second shot unless you get the light on the wedged boulder to make it the subject not sure how it's going to work.
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2009
    thanks everyone for the comments. i will try to put into effect the advice!

Anna8, i will need to figure out the expo time for you...but i think it was around a minute...
    Aaron Nelson
    edited April 14, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Agreed, really like the motion of the clouds in that first shot, also, of the two, I think it has a lot more potential on a return visit.

ya, that second comp is a tricky one...wish me luck i will try all that has been suggested by everyone
    Aaron Nelson
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2009
    ya, that second comp is a tricky one...wish me luck i will try all that has been suggested by everyone

Dont forget to bring your flashlight for a little fill at the right hour, or paint just the suspended boulder during a looooong exposure:ivar
    edited April 14, 2009
    why didnt i think of that?....i really need to get my creativity flowing...
    (stress of the last few months has my mind kinda mushy)
    Aaron Nelson
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2009
  • Picture North CarolinaPicture North Carolina Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited April 15, 2009
    I like the motion in the sky of the first one.

SmugMug Gallery | Website | Like my Facebook page, I'll like yours
  • grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,537 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2009
    Love the clouds in the 1st shot Aaron!! Nice work.
  • mandamanda Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited April 25, 2009
    I looked at your gallery and was so impressed - as a Brit I find it hard to relate to the plethora of canyon shots - but yours seemed original.
  • jaminphotojaminphoto Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited April 25, 2009
    #1 is awesome. clap.gif

--ricardo
  • PHOTOemptPHOTOempt Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2009
    i love the first one - great composition, lovely light, dramatic clouds. the second, i get a sense of the world being squashed with such a narrow band of sky - either needs more sky or none, and i think revisiting in magic hour will also make a big difference to how you feel, and how you arrange the shot. somehow, i find the wonderful light tells me what to do, and at the time you took that shot, the messages were thin on the ground. definitely worth going back for though, cheers, sarah
    Sarah A Wager, MB BS

+39 075 878 0642 or on the web at
    www.photoempt.com
    photoempt.smugmug.com
    www.rjslade.com
    and if you are interested in our italian cooking school here in Monte Castello di Vibio check out www.umbriacucina.com
  • crowcrow Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited April 26, 2009
    Hi Aaron

There is abolutely nothing to dislike about the first image IMO, every element of the shot fits like a puzzle, along with that way cool "highway to heaven."

In the 2nd shot, I dont know what lies beyond the right side of the scape, but if it allows, I think a horizontal perspective would be worth a try while keeping the stuck rock close to the left. All those carved lines are sweet!!
    i took a little trip down south to Thee Grand Canyon and was able to catch a few snaps...

i would love to hear any C&C, thanks

510808789_dVvmD-L.jpg

and here is one i scouted out midday. i will hope to catch this in good light one day... hows the comp?
    510815153_fQ6yQ-L.jpg
    jfghckgvlhyvluijhb;ijol m,lll
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2009
    That first one is really cool! How did you manage to do that? ND filter?
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited April 26, 2009
    dseidman wrote:

I'd like to know as well. Maybe just a long exposure being first thing in the morning?

That second shot comp is way cool. I can't wait to see these locations in person in July. thumb.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
    edited April 26, 2009
    annnna8888 wrote:
    Wow, what was the exposure time in #1? Love those clouds. clap.gifAna

sorry it took me so long to get back to you.

this image was 200 seconds.

the sun came out of hiding a little to soon and caused a little highlight issue center frame.

i was standing there pacing when i should end the expo, i knew i had only one shot at it and didnt want it under exposed!...so i guess i paid a little price center frame, but im happy with it...

thanks for the advice on #2...
    Aaron Nelson
    edited April 26, 2009
    PHOTOempt wrote:
    i love the first one - great composition, lovely light, dramatic clouds. the second, i get a sense of the world being squashed with such a narrow band of sky - either needs more sky or none, and i think revisiting in magic hour will also make a big difference to how you feel, and how you arrange the shot. somehow, i find the wonderful light tells me what to do, and at the time you took that shot, the messages were thin on the ground. definitely worth going back for though, cheers, sarah

i agree with your c&c, maybe no sky, i will try that too. thanks
    Aaron Nelson
    edited April 26, 2009
    dseidman wrote:

yes, 10 stop ND. i use it when there are high winds up high. (not on the tripod)...but very tricky to use...i screw up more then i get right:D
    Aaron Nelson
    edited April 26, 2009
    thank you everyone for the nice comments and advice, very very much thank you.thumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
    edited April 26, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    I'd like to know as well. Maybe just a long exposure being first thing in the morning?

That second shot comp is way cool. I can't wait to see these locations in person in July. thumb.gif

Cheers,
    -joel

July, ahhh nice and toastyrolleyes1.gif
    Aaron Nelson
    edited May 19, 2009
    im so happy!, this long expo of toroweap made the top 100
    on Outdoor Photographer Mag contest

here: http://www.outdoorphotographer.com/photo-contests/2009-yfp-contest/finalists/contest/yfp-2009-contest-finalists/11592-morning-breeze.html

can i do the dance this dance!! wings.gifwings.gifwings.gif

oh wait...im still wings.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2009

here: http://www.outdoorphotographer.com/photo-contests/2009-yfp-contest/finalists/contest/yfp-2009-contest-finalists/11592-morning-breeze.html

Congratulations Aaron clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2009

Congrats Aaron!!! clap.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos