Options

canvas wrap tutorial - without image wrap?

OakleyOakley Registered Users Posts: 446 Major grins
edited April 15, 2009 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Hi there,

Is there a tutorial that explains how to create a white or blank border to your photo so that it has the correct dimensions for canvas wrap - but without image wrap?

I can't seem to reverse engineer the image wrap tutorial to figure it out.

Thanks,

Ryan
Ryan Oakley - www.ryanoakleyphotography.ca [My smugmug site]
www.photographyontheside.com [My blog about creating a part-time photography business]
Create A Gorgeous Photography Website with Smugmug in 90 Minutes [My free course if you need help setting up and customizing your SmugMug site]

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2009
    Oakley wrote:
    Hi there,

Is there a tutorial that explains how to create a white or blank border to your photo so that it has the correct dimensions for canvas wrap - but without image wrap?

I can't seem to reverse engineer the image wrap tutorial to figure it out.

Thanks,

Ryan
    But why do you want this, I'm curious? Can you elaborate on your finished product?
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    But why do you want this, I'm curious? Can you elaborate on your finished product?

Well, I believe I figured it out in PSE - but what I want is to use the image wrap technology (so to speak), but have white on the sides instead of the image. In other words, I want my full image to be on the front. Nothing on the sides.

All I had to do in PSE is this:
    1. Crop to 30x40 (that's the size of the image I want to show on the front).
    2. Go Image -> Resize -> Canvas
    3. Add 3.5 inches to both the width and hieght (make sure "relative is selected" and then hit ok.

Now I upload to smugmug and add the image to my cart. I now see my white "canvas border" highlited "blue" showing that the sides of my canvas will come out white.

Someone should "tutorialize" that with pretty screen captuers. rolleyes1.gif

Here is the end result:

511005707_D3Skc-M.jpg
    www.photographyontheside.com [My blog about creating a part-time photography business]
    Create A Gorgeous Photography Website with Smugmug in 90 Minutes [My free course if you need help setting up and customizing your SmugMug site]
  • Options
    takeflightphototakeflightphoto Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2009
    stretch instead of wrap
    If you order the canvas print STRETCHED instead of WRAPPED, that is exactly what happens. The image is printed to the size you select with enough white around the outside to stretch it on the wood frame with the image fully on the front.
    Oakley wrote:
    Well, I believe I figured it out in PSE - but what I want is to use the image wrap technology (so to speak), but have white on the sides instead of the image. In other words, I want my full image to be on the front. Nothing on the sides.

All I had to do in PSE is this:
    1. Crop to 30x40 (that's the size of the image I want to show on the front).
    2. Go Image -> Resize -> Canvas
    3. Add 3.5 inches to both the width and hieght (make sure "relative is selected" and then hit ok.

Now I upload to smugmug and add the image to my cart. I now see my white "canvas border" highlited "blue" showing that the sides of my canvas will come out white.

Someone should "tutorialize" that with pretty screen captuers. rolleyes1.gif

Here is the end result:

511005707_D3Skc-M.jpg
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2009
    If you order the canvas print STRETCHED instead of WRAPPED, that is exactly what happens. The image is printed to the size you select with enough white around the outside to stretch it on the wood frame with the image fully on the front.
    Exactly :D

http://www.smugmug.com/prints/giclee-canvas-watercolor

mount_stretchcanvas_lrg.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2009
    Yes, of course I thought of that......but I still want the outsides of the canvas to be "pretty" (i.e. no staples as is shown in the photo below). The photo below needs to be framed to cover up the staples on the side. Whereas the image wrap technique allows the photo to be displayed (quite elegantly, I might add) as is.
    Andy wrote:
  • Options
    takeflightphototakeflightphoto Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2009
    The Canvas (image) Wrap still has staples on the top and bottom of the corners (not visible from the sides), as that is how the material is folded/wrapped around the stretcher bars. On the Wrap, they are not as visible, as there is photo detail there.

You are just creating a white border that will be image wrapped and come out the same as the one with white sides, only you are paying for the more expensive process with the same result. If you are going for 'pretty' just go for the whole enchilada, since you are paying for it.

Oakley wrote:
    Yes, of course I thought of that......but I still want the outsides of the canvas to be "pretty" (i.e. no staples as is shown in the photo below). The photo below needs to be framed to cover up the staples on the side. Whereas the image wrap technique allows the photo to be displayed (quite elegantly, I might add) as is.
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2009
    Thanks for everyone's help.

In the end I decided to go with the image wrap.