Hand Strap Recommendations...

SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
edited July 18, 2005 in Cameras

Comments

• mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2005
    I don't know about those particular straps, but a friend of mine who shoots races for a living uses a strap on his 1D MkII, shooting with a reasonably heavy 70-200/2.8/IS. He nearly always shoots portrait mode, but always uses a strap, and hence the primary shutter button (rather than the portrait orientation buttons on the grip).

If he finds a camera and lens that big and heavy comfortable to shoot with a hand strap, in portrait mode, hand-held, all day, that says a lot to me.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • KA0TVOKA0TVO Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2005
    :): Seymore,
    I have had the hand strap for several weeks now. I find it comfortable for street candids and some events. You can also attach your neck strap to this as well. One strap goes to the body of the hand strap and other to camera. Both are on the same side. Actually I have used it both ways but I like the freedom of the hand strap. Well made.
    Bob
    Bob
  • NetgardenNetgarden Registered Users Posts: 829 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2005
    I tried the Sunpak, and didn't feel comfortable with it. Theres another one that fits more like a half glove. Like BodyGlove material. I wish I knew the name of it. Looking for one too.ne_nau.gif

Seymore wrote:
    Thanks for the feedback guys... I'm thinking I'll get the hakuba handstrap. I'd hate to spend less, and find it cut into the back of my hand.
  • StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2005
    Seymore wrote:
    Oooooooooooo... you got to try? Thanks for the feedback! If you remember the other manuf, please let us know. I'd luv to get one, but am waiting for the "right one". Sounded to me like Andy luv'd his hakuba, so if that's my only option... For ~$22 (plus change), it sounds like a good deal.
    The Hakuba is great, it stays on all the time, before, I used to wrap the neck strap round my wrist.

The only time it comes off is when using a Tripod, and then I only unscrew the base plate. Pic

The larger one, velcro tapes around the wrist bad Pic. I thought it would be too restrictive so I got the standard one which is great
    edited June 8, 2005
    Seymore wrote:
    Thanks Stan... BTW, does the base plate have a contact point for a mounting plate or tripod mount?

I've got the Hakuba marked @ B&H. So, unless I hear any other options, I'll make the purchase soon.
    The base looks like this, with a threaded hole so you could stick a QR plate onto it but it never feels secure enough. Much easier to unscrew the hand strap and scerw in the plate
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2005
    Seymore wrote:
    Thanks for the PIC! I agree... much more surface area on the base of the cam. Just makes sense that it would be more secure.

will the camdapter work on the d70? headscratch.gif
    edited June 8, 2005
    andy wrote:
    will the camdapter work on the d70? headscratch.gif
    11doh.gif Now if they did that to fit the Manfrotto QR Plate I would be very happy.

The problem is that the bottom plate needs to be long enough for the strap to attach near to the edge of the camera, rather than the centre, to make the strap as secure as possible. camdapter
  • jtgjtg Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited June 14, 2005
    Seymore:

The Camdapter fits the D100 like a glove, I see no reason why it would not fit the D70 as well. I will verify that next time I get to the camera shop.

check out http://www.camdapter.com

JTG
    Seymore wrote:
    Well, they do say "May also fit Nikon: F6, F4, F100, N90, N80, D70, D100" for the Original Camdapter Strap Adapter. But, with the minor tolerance differences between the different brands, it would be hard to say if some of the other adapters would also work. And, I can't see the logic in spending $35+ to find out that it would hinder the battery compartment on the D70.

So Andy... are you still using your Hakuba? Any hindrances you can see? What about those of us with "smaller" hands? ...or longer fingers?
  • jtgjtg Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited July 18, 2005
    Camdapter also F fits Nikon D100/D70
    Seymore:

The Camdapter also fits the Nikon D70 perfectly!

Seymore wrote:
    Thanks for the input JTG. thumb.gif Please let me know what you discover. I'd be steering more toward the double ended model.