Options

El Paso, TX - Locations to Photograph

Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
April 25th - 28th I will be leaving the cold Wisconsin weather for the nice hot Texas weather. My brother is leaving for Iraq and this is the last time we will be able to visit him before he goes overseas.

I would like to be able to spend some time taking pictures around there to hang some of them on the walls in my home.

So, I need some good places to hit up while there. Landscape, Street Photography will probably be the only things I will do while there (since I don't have any clientelle that live there).

Preferably around the El Paso area. My brother doesn't want to travel very far he just wants to relax in the hotel (:dunno not good for my photography plans). But I'm guessing I'll have maybe one or two days that I can spend taking pictures... but I'll have my family with me whining about how they want to move on while I'm trying to take a sweet HDR of a rock or something :rolleyes .
Jer

Comments

• Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2009
    April 25th - 28th I will be leaving the cold Wisconsin weather for the nice hot Texas weather. My brother is leaving for Iraq and this is the last time we will be able to visit him before he goes overseas.

I would like to be able to spend some time taking pictures around there to hang some of them on the walls in my home.

So, I need some good places to hit up while there. Landscape, Street Photography will probably be the only things I will do while there (since I don't have any clientelle that live there).

Preferably around the El Paso area. My brother doesn't want to travel very far he just wants to relax in the hotel (ne_nau.gif not good for my photography plans). But I'm guessing I'll have maybe one or two days that I can spend taking pictures... but I'll have my family with me whining about how they want to move on while I'm trying to take a sweet HDR of a rock or something rolleyes1.gif .
    El Paso Mission Trail- several old missions.

White Sands National Monument - about 1.5 hours

Check out this site for other things you can do or see-
    http://www.elpasocvb.com/things_see_do.sstg
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2009
    anwmn1 wrote:
    El Paso Mission Trail- several old missions.

White Sands National Monument - about 1.5 hours

Check out this site for other things you can do or see-
    http://www.elpasocvb.com/things_see_do.sstg

Thanks alot! That will help out a ton. I think this is the first time being in texas for me (might have traveled through there as a youngin), so this trip is exciting for me being able to see vast plains of sand and mountains...
    Jer
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2009
    Whoops - better late than never, but I'm moving your post to the Locations forum! thumb.gif
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2009
    Jeremy,

Please be VERY CAREFUL in El Paso right now. If your not up on what's going on there, please check all the news reports. No picture is worth your or your family's safety.
    Randy
  • Options
    KKappleKKapple Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited April 13, 2009
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Jeremy,

Please be VERY CAREFUL in El Paso right now. If your not up on what's going on there, please check all the news reports. No picture is worth your or your family's safety.

Rick- while your intentions are good I think this could have been put a different way. Spread knowledge not fear.

His brother is in the military and leaving for Iraq which means he will have to sit through several meetings about what not to do and where not to go while in El Paso. The issues are across the border and the violence in El Paso itself is not any worse than the other 200 cities across the nation associated with the parties involved.

Stay in the US and visit areas like the missions and White Sands and you will have a good trip.

Aaron Newman

• Options
    edited April 14, 2009
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Rick- while your intentions are good I think this could have been put a different way. Spread knowledge not fear.

His brother is in the military and leaving for Iraq which means he will have to sit through several meetings about what not to do and where not to go while in El Paso. The issues are across the border and the violence in El Paso itself is not any worse than the other 200 cities across the nation associated with the parties involved.

Stay in the US and visit areas like the missions and White Sands and you will have a good trip.

Thanks for making that clear to him. Yes I'm very aware of the violence thats going on across the border from El Paso. We have already agreed on not crossing the border lol. Its kinda sad when the mayor of a mexican town has to live in the states because of fear.

yeah I'm hoping it turns out to be a wonderful trip. I might even buy a 50D in the next couple days. I'm wanting to upgrade from my XSI for many reasons, and I think this trip may be the final convincer on the wallet. Which reminds me... gotta go check out the for sale threads on here for any used 50D's!
    Jer
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2009
    haha, went to Best Buy and got a 50D tonight... lol I guess I'm a man of my word. I love this camera, anyone who is serious about photography will love this beast. I have huge hands and it fits perfectly in there... with my xsi I needed a bat grip otherwise my fingers wrapped around the bottom and it was uncomfortable.
    Jer
  • Options
    JwarJwar Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2009
    it might be a bit late, but you might try scenic drive, transmountain road,and McKelligon Canyon. I would like to see what kind of photos you get. Being away from my hometown, i need to take a few shots of my favorite spots.

-jay
    Jay

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.
    Kinky Friedman
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2009
    Jwar wrote:
    it might be a bit late, but you might try scenic drive, transmountain road,and McKelligon Canyon. I would like to see what kind of photos you get. Being away from my hometown, i need to take a few shots of my favorite spots.

-jay

Yeah, I'm in El Paso right now. Today we went to the White Sands National Park, and circled around to the Organ mountains... which I'm pretty sure we missed, cause I never saw them, nor did we stop. I don't have my USB cable with or I would post pictures from today on here, but as soon as I get back on tuesday I'll post some.

But I gotta say that sledding down 30 foot sand dunes was pretty sweet. I wish it would've allowed us to go faster, but it was still fun. (not to mention the hike up was A BLAST.. *worst part about it if you didn't catch my sarcasm*)
    Jer
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2009
    Yeah, I'm in El Paso right now. Today we went to the White Sands National Park, and circled around to the Organ mountains... which I'm pretty sure we missed, cause I never saw them, nor did we stop. I don't have my USB cable with or I would post pictures from today on here, but as soon as I get back on tuesday I'll post some.

But I gotta say that sledding down 30 foot sand dunes was pretty sweet. I wish it would've allowed us to go faster, but it was still fun. (not to mention the hike up was A BLAST.. *worst part about it if you didn't catch my sarcasm*)

I never did the sledding but I have done a good amount of hiking out there on the two trips I made there.

179839378_3AN7m-M-5.jpg

Look forward to seeing your shots from this trip. I agree with the transmountain road and you may also check out the scenic drive road. Some good views and some very nice houses.

Aaron Newman

• Options
    edited April 27, 2009
    So, today we did the transmountain drive. Stopped at the Franklin Mountain State park, and we hiked the mountain 3.8 miles in up to the McKelligon Caynon... took over 2 hours to get there and back to the car. 5500 feet above sea level... pretty insane.

I'm extremely sunburned, sore, and ready to die, but it was all worth it. I'll post pictures when I get home. forgot my usb cable in wisconsin ne_nau.gif .

Plane leaves tomorrow at 7am so I'll be able to post pictures later tomorrow night.
    Jer