Stacking in CS4??

garytgaryt Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
edited April 14, 2009 in Holy Macro
Tempurature was 38 degrees yesterday and the wind was howling. I found this miner bee on the picnic table trying to warm up. After taking a couple of shots of it, I noticed that it really didn't spook from that flash, so I took a series of shots to try and stack in CS4. I usually use Combine, but have alot of trouble hand stacking more that a couple of shots, so after reading some about doing it in CS4, I thought I'd give it a try. Here's a couple of single shots (not stacked)

3437342737_1565c25a46_o.jpg

3438152672_ca49913280_o.jpg

And now for the fun part. I found that I didn't have enough RAM to stack this first shot from 12 pictures, so I ended up stacking four at a time and then stacking those together. Once I figured out the process, it wasn't too bad. I already know that they are not perfect, but I was looking for input on how you thought the process worked. I already have my own thoughts and ideas. Please feel free to comment. This shot is stacked from 12 pictures.

3438159632_b3ab6f77b0_b.jpg

And this one is from six shots. I was able to do this one in a single pass.

3438157032_a92fd1efab_b.jpg

Please comment on how you think these worked compared to Combine. Thanks
Gary
Canon 30D, 28-80mm kit, 100mm Macro, 80-200mm, Kenko Tubes (68mm), 380EX Flash, and a wish list.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/garythompson/

Comments

• GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited April 13, 2009
    good shots Gary, i nearly got a shot of the white wiskered one yesterday:cry
    what apperture are they shot at?
    would have thought 3-4 frames @ f11-f14 would cover whole bee.
    some frames might have same focus plane!
    phil
  • garytgaryt Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2009
    GOLDENORFE wrote:
    good shots Gary, i nearly got a shot of the white wiskered one yesterday:cry
    what apperture are they shot at?
    would have thought 3-4 frames @ f11-f14 would cover whole bee.
    some frames might have same focus plane!
    phil

Thanks Phil. These were shot at f8. That's what I normally shoot. I wanted to test the CS4 stacking program, so I took a bunch of shots. Granted a higher f-stop probably would have meant fewer pictures, but this was about testing CS4, and seeing what it did against CombineZM. I usually don't stack too many shots, but it was a crappy day and I had time to play. I did move slightly on each frame.
    Gary
    Canon 30D, 28-80mm kit, 100mm Macro, 80-200mm, Kenko Tubes (68mm), 380EX Flash, and a wish list.
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2009
    garyt wrote:
    Thanks Phil. These were shot at f8. That's what I normally shoot. I wanted to test the CS4 stacking program, so I took a bunch of shots. Granted a higher f-stop probably would have meant fewer pictures, but this was about testing CS4, and seeing what it did against CombineZM. I usually don't stack too many shots, but it was a crappy day and I had time to play. I did move slightly on each frame.

Hi Gary,
    Where is the Stacking on CS4?
    Regards
    Bob
  • garytgaryt Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2009
    canon400d wrote:
    Hi Gary,
    Where is the Stacking on CS4?
    Regards
    Bob

Hi Bob,
    There may be a better way (this was my first attempt in CS4), but this is what I did.
    File=>Scripts=>Load images into stack. then choose "browse" and load the files you want to stack. Be sure to check the box for auto-align or you will have to do it later (Edit=>Auto-align images). This loads each image onto a separate layer, and aligns them all. Then it's simply Edit=>Auto-blend layers. It's not as fast as Combine (and it does take up a lot of RAM if you have a lot of images), but it seems to work fairly well, at least so far. I'll have to try another couple before i pass judgement. Hope this helps. Good luck!
    Gary
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2009
    Lovely series. The stacks look pretty good- miner bees are very hard to stack well with waving antennae and all that hair. Suspect they may have less artifacts than a combine stack. I know I spent so long repairing a stack of one of these from combine that I tend to find it faster to do them by hand.

Brian v.
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2009
    Lovely series. The stacks look pretty good- miner bees are very hard to stack well with waving antennae and all that hair. Suspect they may have less artifacts than a combine stack. I know I spent so long repairing a stack of one of these from combine that I tend to find it faster to do them by hand.

Brian v.

Hi Gary,
    Thanks that was very useful indeed I will certainly have a look at it. I have used CombineZM but I have currently on trial Helicon Focus for stacking and it is really good so that is something for you to look at.
    Regards
    Bob