Sunset and dusk in the mountains

annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
edited April 14, 2009 in Landscapes
OK, I'll stop with the winter photos. Soon. Just these few as a distant memory of the winter and off we go into the spring. :D

You might remember my photos from this same location. It's a wonderful mountain and I keep going back. Enjoy!

V02-VelPlan-015.jpg

V08-VelPlan-048.jpg

V12-VelPlan-074.jpg

V13-VelPlan-064.jpg

V18-VelPlan-086.jpg

V22-VelPlan-116.jpg

V25-VelPlan-121.jpg

V26-VelPlan-122a.jpg

Comments appreciated! :D

Ana
Ana
SmugMug Support Hero Manager
My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com

Comments

• EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2009
    #4 is a wow! It looks like something out of a movie. I'll be anxious to see the spring/summer photos!
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2009
    I really like the comp on #3. Very peaceful yet foreboding at the same time.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • ZevZev Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited April 13, 2009
    Is that a giant sinkhole in the first picture?

Zev
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2009
    Love #4-6. And I wonder who skied down into the 'Black Hole' in #1.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2009
    Beautiful as always!! Amazing skies and your work always has a little bit of the fantastic, a little surrealism, and a dash of the abstract. :D

That sinkhole looks deadly. How exactly does something like that work? It's not a one-way trip, is it? headscratch.gif
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2009
    Zev wrote:
    Is that a giant sinkhole in the first picture?

Zev

looks like a gravity well in an Einsteinian space-time continuum model! very cool...
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2009
    hawkeye978 wrote:
    Love #4-6. And I wonder who skied down into the 'Black Hole' in #1.

dunno, but i don't see any tracks coming back out! eek7.gif
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2009
    Wow - my favorites are the first four. Like the narrow DOF in #3, the partially obscured mountain in #2. #1 really has a WTF? going for it - which is very cool, and great colors in #4. I like the rest too. If I had access to a place like this I wouldn't be so worried about Spring (OK, I do have access to places like this, I'm just too lazy to hike up in the mountains in snow). But anyway, keep at it, Spring will reveal itself when it's ready :D
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2009
    Great series, thanks for sharing. Number one is a wonderfully mystifying shot. I love it! How does one get out of there BYW??

I also love #4 great colors and great sky.
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2009
    Very nice series, Anna!!

#4 is simply spectacular!!
    And I'm almost entranced by #1, watching the tracks circle then plummet into the vortex!

Great job!! thumb.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • riddim_makerriddim_maker Registered Users Posts: 1,835 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2009
    It's a wonderful mountain and I keep going back
    And I can see why, very beautiful indeed. And you did it justice with your capture thumb.gif
    #7 is my favoriteclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Russ
  • Picture North CarolinaPicture North Carolina Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited April 14, 2009
    Ana,

I like #4 a lot! The sky combined with the curving tracks in the show create a sort of "spiral" effect that pulls you right into the picture.

SmugMug Gallery | Website | Like my Facebook page, I'll like yours
  • annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 14, 2009
    Thanks, everybody! clap.gif

As to the mystery of #1: yes, it's a sinkhole, and if you ski into it, you end up on the exact opposite side of the earth, in New Zealand. :D OK, I'm pulling your collective leg. Actually, if you walk closer and look inside, you see a pile of skiers who've skied in and can't get out. You don't believe me? OK, OK, OK. :D:D:D I really should have take a picture of all those poor souls ..... who skied right in and had to herringbone up - and the tracks are not visible in my photo. Mystery solved? wings.gif

As for my favorites, yes, #4 is nice, but I think I keep coming back to #8 the most. The bluish dusk just seems so peaceful and inviting.

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • trhale99trhale99 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited April 14, 2009
    hello all,
    I love # 4 and # 5, very moody sky and clouds. The light is great and the composition is very interesting. Love the angles and lines that you have captured, good work!!

What type of camera and lens were you using primarily? Some must have been a wide angle, or were they all?
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2009
    annnna8888 wrote:
    As to the mystery of #1: yes, it's a sinkhole, and if you ski into it, you end up on the exact opposite side of the earth, in New Zealand. :D

lol3.gif

Thanks for enlightening us! I was a little disappointed to hear this wasn't the case, as I bet it's a much cheaper way to get to NZ than flying.