#23 Flooded Park Options

DrinDrin Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
edited April 19, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hey, I went shooting again today and came back with some more. I've narrowed it down to my four favorites. I would really appreciate feedback, thanks.

flood4web.jpg

#2, similar but a tighter crop and different color treatment

flood6web.jpg

flood7web.jpg

#4, one I already posted but like

theflood1bwweb.jpg

Thanks. :thumb
Canon EOS 1000D (Rebel XS)
EF-S 18-55mm
EF 75-300mm

Comments

• michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2009
    #3 is the weakest one of the bunch for me, #4 the most creative. It took me a while to figure out that I needed to hold my laptop upside down to see what you'd done. Dare I say it, it would have been a great entry in the Bookcover comp as "Inversions" or "Alice's Other Mirror". I'm still thinking how I feel about it for #23.

1 and 2 are good, but I'd love to see #4 be developed into something really special.
  • DrinDrin Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2009
    Hmm, thanks for the feedback. Here's a color version of that one; really the only reason I went for B&W was because I couldn't get the colors to look good. ne_nau.gif What do ya think?
    theflood1web.jpg
    EF-S 18-55mm
    EF 75-300mm
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2009
    My immediate reaction to this in your original thread was "Why are there clouds in the trees." It's surreal. In terms of what I'd love o do... Colour at the bottom and B&W in the reflection. Saturate the colour in the lower section then desaturate at the water line until B&W in the "clouds amongst the trees." Dream Time.
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2009
    This one. As far as colors - use the selective colors adjustment layer to boost yellows.
    Drin wrote:
    Hmm, thanks for the feedback. Here's a color version of that one; really the only reason I went for B&W was because I couldn't get the colors to look good. ne_nau.gif What do ya think?
    theflood1web.jpg
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2009
    I like where you're going with #4 but honestly, the yellow signs at the bottom are a bit distracting to me. If I didn't see them in the context of the other images, I would not know what they are.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
    edited April 15, 2009
    Thanks for the awesome suggestions, guys! bowdown.gif michswiss, I tried what you suggested but I liked how it looked better when I desaturated the bottom rather than the top. Cool idea. I went for more blue rather than boosting yellow because I thought having the blue more saturated would go with the theme. I also reprocessed the whole image. Tell me what you think.
    flood1b.jpg
    EF-S 18-55mm
    EF 75-300mm
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2009
    Winner!

My Smug Site
  • DeuceFourDeuceFour Registered Users Posts: 350 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2009
    I think #2 is your strongest photo! I just don't like the way #4 is upside down...ne_nau.gif
    edited April 15, 2009
    Thanks, anonymouscuban. And thanks for the input, DeuceFour, appreciate it. Almost everyone I've asked has liked the fourth idea the best, so I think I'll be submitting that one, but I'm partial to #2 as well. I think I may recolor it like #1, though. ne_nau.gif
    EF-S 18-55mm
    EF 75-300mm
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2009
    I really, really like your reworked #4. I would like to see your reworked #2 as well though, as that one does have a lot of potential.
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

edited April 15, 2009
    Thanks so much Greensquared! Here's the reworked #2. I like how it looks but I hope I didn't go overboard with the saturation. My excuse was the contest theme. :D Trying to decide which of the last two to submit. headscratch.gif
    flood6bweb.jpg
    EF-S 18-55mm
    EF 75-300mm
    edited April 16, 2009
    So I submitted the reworked #4, hope I made a good choice!
    EF-S 18-55mm
    EF 75-300mm
    edited April 16, 2009
    IMO you did but I'm not one of the judges so my opinion is worth about as much as the Cuban peso I have sitting in my wallet.

My Smug Site
  • Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2009
    Probably too late but I really like the crop in #2 but not the color treatment. Having said that, I don't think you will go wrong with th eone you submitted.
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
    edited April 18, 2009
    If you mean in the first post, I redid that (see post above). Thanks for the input, guys. And anonymouscuban, I personally value your opinion, no worries. ;)
    EF-S 18-55mm
    EF 75-300mm
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2009
    You nailed it
    You definitely made the right choice of them all and you nailed it on bringing out the blue, good call..

Best of luck

Katrolleyes1.gif
    edited April 19, 2009
    Thanks a lot. iloveyou.gif
    EF-S 18-55mm
    EF 75-300mm