Joshua Trees

CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
edited April 16, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
A couple weekends ago, my girlfriend and I took a camping trip up to Joshua Tree National Park. Here's a couple images of the park's namesake, the Joshua Tree. Sadly, my best compositions of these beauties came durring some harsh mid-day sun, but I think the trees a cool enough I wanted to share anyway! :D

1)
506706530_R4e9f-XL-1.jpg

2)
506706922_FnLvi-XL-1.jpg

3)
506706756_9DHdY-XL-1.jpg

4)
507508898_ortXs-XL-2.jpg

The full gallery from the trip can be found here.

Thanks for looking! As always comments & suggestions will be kindly accepted!! :thumb
Chris
SmugMug QA
My Photos

Comments

• wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2009
    I think Joshua trees are freakishly beautiful in their awkwardness, and hard to capture. Out of these I prefer the last two the most. Nice gallery too. I like the horizontal Cap Rock photo.
    Anybody can do it.
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2009
    wfeller wrote:
    I think Joshua trees are freakishly beautiful in their awkwardness, and hard to capture. Out of these I prefer the last two the most. Nice gallery too. I like the horizontal Cap Rock photo.

Thanks Walter!
    I absolutely agree on the freakish beauty of these trees! Being a New Yorker by birth and only a Californian by transplant, these amazing trees are like nothing I had ever seen before. If I could have, I would have stayed for a month just to find the perfect specimen of their awkward beauty and wait for the perfect light to hit it... Too bad I've got a day job... maybe someday I'll win the lotto and be able to do it! :D

I'm starting to find that I really like the look or the landscape in those few short minutes of twilight just after sundown. That Cap Rock shot is the result of that experimentation. Glad you like it!
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2009
    CWSkopec wrote:
    A couple weekends ago, my girlfriend and I took a camping trip up to Joshua Tree National Park. Here's a couple images of the park's namesake, the Joshua Tree. Sadly, my best compositions of these beauties came during some harsh mid-day sun, but I think the trees a cool enough I wanted to share anyway! :D

The full gallery from the trip can be found here.

Thanks for looking! As always comments & suggestions will be kindly accepted!! thumb.gif

I can't say I recall having ever seen a Joshua Tree,
    I know they are loved by many photographers.

Didn't realize they were so big, had this image in my head of them being small headscratch.gif

They are quite an interesting shape, make great silhouettes too.

Lovely shots, thanks for sharing thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2009
    Skippy wrote:
    I can't say I recall having ever seen a Joshua Tree,
    I know they are loved by many photographers.

Didn't realize they were so big, had this image in my head of them being small headscratch.gif

They are quite an interesting shape, make great silhouettes too.

Lovely shots, thanks for sharing thumb.gif .... Skippy :D

Thanks, Skippy! thumb.gif

There's a pretty wide range of tree heights in the park as they grow at an absurdly slow rate (if I remember correctly, it was 5-6 inches in their first year and on average, only a half inch a year after that!!). I think I just gravitated towards the larger ones as subjects because they tended to have more branches and off shoots to their sillouette than the youngin's!
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos