Nikon D5000

Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
edited April 14, 2009 in Cameras
DPr

What interests me the most.. is the number. 5000?
Food & Culture.
www.tednghiem.com

Comments

• PuppY_K1ck3RPuppY_K1ck3R Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited April 14, 2009
    DPr

Wut in the #%$! .
    http://www.duclayanprofoto.com

Nikon D300
    Nikon 24-70mm 2.8
    Nikon 70-200mm 2.8 VRII
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited April 14, 2009
    It appears to be a slightly scaled down D90 but with a larger shot buffer. Not too shabby. thumb.gif

It will be interesting to see how actual handling and performance is affected. It does look like like image quality overall should be very similar to the D90. The greatly smaller viewfinder view will probably not please the most advanced users except for travel and personal use, but the D90 is still probably going to be the preferred lower end camera for paying stuff.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • PuppY_K1ck3RPuppY_K1ck3R Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited April 14, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    It appears to be a slightly scaled down D90 but with a larger shot buffer. Not too shabby. thumb.gif

It will be interesting to see how actual handling and performance is affected. It does look like like image quality overall should be very similar to the D90. The greatly smaller viewfinder view will probably not please the most advanced users except for travel and personal use, but the D90 is still probably going to be the preferred lower end camera for paying stuff.

exactly. to me it seems like not such a good idea for Nikon to be cannabalizing sales from the D90.
    http://www.duclayanprofoto.com

Nikon D300
    Nikon 24-70mm 2.8
    Nikon 70-200mm 2.8 VRII
  • CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2009
    exactly. to me it seems like not such a good idea for Nikon to be cannabalizing sales from the D90.

True, but I think they've been losing sales to the XSi in this price range -- the XSi is much more feature packed than the D60, and the D90 is quite a bit more expensive than the XSi. It may hurt D90 sales a bit, but it may also attract buyers who would otherwise go with a different brand in this price range. In the end, competition is good for everyone!
  • InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2009
    Swivel LCD appears a bit limited.
    If I'm reading the specs right, it swivels at the bottom, not to left. Pity the poor photographer who wants to do a self portrait with a tripod..... I think it could be better....
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2009
    The pricepoint will be the key. This may wind up being the replacement for the D40. If so, they have crammed a lot of high end features into what is an entry level camera.eek7.gif
  • BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2009
    Articulated screen = sexy...not sexy enough to buy a Nikon...but sexy all the same.
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2009
    Internaut wrote:
    If I'm reading the specs right, it swivels at the bottom, not to left. Pity the poor photographer who wants to do a self portrait with a tripod..... I think it could be better....

Ya - I like Olympus's implementation better. But, obviously a feature that will be popping up in most future DSLRs I imagine.
  • MavMav Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2009
    Looks like a really nice camera... I've been playing with a friends D80 and have been bitten by the bug. Buying a D90 seemed like the logical step when I have to give the D80 back. The D5000 could be a more cost effective choice, especially for me as a beginner...

But speaking as n00bie - doesn't relying on in lens AF motors limit your choice of lenses somewhat? If so, maybe I'm better scraping the money together for a D90...
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2009
    Mav wrote:
    But speaking as n00bie - doesn't relying on in lens AF motors limit your choice of lenses somewhat? If so, maybe I'm better scraping the money together for a D90...

That is correct. The new D5000 only works with lenses that have AF motors in them. If it were me I would save up for the D90, or if you can't afford that buy a used D80.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2009
    DPr

It appears some of the "buttons" that appear on the d90 are not on there...for example the ISO button on the back. Hmmm..I have been thinking about a back up camera to the d90. This may be interesting.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2009
    Finally,
    A portrait and a baby exposure modes. Hey where the pet and the Fourth of July mode?
  • MavMav Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2009
    That is correct. The new D5000 only works with lenses that have AF motors in them. If it were me I would save up for the D90, or if you can't afford that buy a used D80.

Seems like D80's are still getting good prices - but the D90 seems to give so much more for not that much more money...

I think it has to be the D90 for me