Springtime...Cold and Pretty in NJ!

bandgeekndbbandgeekndb Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
edited April 14, 2009 in People
Hello everyone! Hope some people have springtime weather! Here in NJ sadly, it dropped below freezing last night! Regardless of the temps, I was determined to go out and shoot, and so I did. Luckily, my model managed not to freeze too much while we were out!

This was the first time I really tried extra hard to meter properly in the camera, was shooting full manual (and of course, forgot to reset before the shoot...luckily I caught it in the first few shots), so I'm looking for all kinds of C&C. For now, I'm blessed with a model that knows how to pose decently well, and if I remind her now and again about the posing ratio (90 or 45 degrees), she's good to go for a while. Sooner or later though, I'll need to work on directing my model so I'm ready for professional shoots.

Also, these were all natural light, so if it requires better lighting, please let me know. I have a nice SB-400, but that's not much good for off-camera flash and the D40 isn't the best with OCF either, as far as I know. Anything I can do without upgrading equipment, like a DIY reflector or something is a fine suggestion, but I sadly don't have the funds to be investing in even a small lighting system.

I should say, my sign that I'm getting better is, as opposed to the usual shoot I do with this lady, where she'll like one or two of the pics, out of a bunch, this time she liked over 20 of them. These were just a few of her and my favorites. Happy client is a good thing right? I feel it's a step in the right direction! Anyway, here are the pics:

1 - Quite possibly my favorite, of the normal collection in this shoot

512448864_pBCCs-L-1.jpg

2- I want to know what I could have done with her legs to not draw so much attention to them...I feel like they take away from the subject's face, but I can't think of what I could have done with her pose. Suggestions?

512455839_wXkYU-L-1.jpg

3-This was the grunge shot, reminds me of something I just saw in one of Julie Lawson's shoot (Samara, I believe...I swear, I took this before seeing her shoot! I'm not stealing ideas! :D)

512449045_X4oXZ-L-2.jpg

Thank again, looking forward to suggestions! Be harsh if necessary, I'd rather get better than have sugar-coating!

~Nick
Nikon D7000, D90

Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8
Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8

Comments

• Morris On LocationMorris On Location Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited April 14, 2009
    #1 - Looks like a little bit of an akward position. Like she's holding her foot up rather than her hand just resting there. Wish she looked more realxed.

#2 - The shoes don't really bother me as much as it seems like you are shooting from under the branch, may if you shot from a little more left. Wish you could have gotten a little more height as well, but coming from a shorter person I know that is hard to do, without lugging the step ladder around.

#3 - I like the #3 the best. Very well done.
  • afev0602afev0602 Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2009
    1. I think this is the best shot...the tree is really lovely...but, Have her look the other direction...I think the rule of composition is generally you don't want to cut off the direction your model is looking...(something like that)...maybe had her sitting with both her legs hanging off the branch??

2. I'm not a fan of the bottom of the shoes..possibly swing those feet toward the back of the branch they are on?? I know it was cold out but if you have to have feet in a photo I prefer them bare. The more I look at this shot however I'm leaning toward liking it the best, I really like the fact that you were under her..I would even consider cloning out the house in the bottom right in this one so you just have her and the tree.........

3. Doesn't do a thing for me. I think the concept is good...but I think it needs something to soften the grunge....for example doing this shot in the summer with her in something softer or flimsier like a tank or a dress...just my opinion though.
    Well, I guess you would call me... genus, humanus... Alice.
    http://aliceswonderland.smugmug.com/