Options

Cartoon action or workflow?

WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
edited April 15, 2009 in Finishing School
Does anybody have a workflow or ps action that can change a regular photo into something more like a cartoon drawing? Trying to blend a portrait of a person into a bunch of cartoon characters for an invitation. Thanks in advance for any responses!
Snady :thumb
my money well spent :D
Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2009
    supposedly the best caricature software......GOOGLE WAS MY FRIEND :-}}

http://www.carnisoft.com

good luck
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited April 15, 2009
    Sandy,

I am a photographer, not a graphic artist so take this with a grain of salt. But I think this is a potentially rather interesting discussion about image editing.

The conversion of an photographic image, to a cartoon, usually begins with a filter to identify and enhance edges and make them more dramatic or blacker. Then, posterization is used to decrease the number of colors. Liquify can be used to alter facial expressions or features.

I took this image

500775197_umGtX-L.jpg

to this image

513324606_ECHVK-L.jpg

by using Photoshop -> Filter>Artistic>Photo Edges

I slammed the three sliders - Edge thickness, Edge Intensity, and Posterization - to the far right, and said OK.

I then used Posterization in the Layers dialogue box ( beneath Threshold ), to set the colors somewhere near 6 or 8 and I was done.

You can run the posterization filter more than one time.

Is this anything like you had in mind? I think I should have kept the colors to just 3 or 4 maybe.

I know I recently saw an article in one of the Photoshop Creative Collection magazines recently, but I can't seem to find a link for you.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited April 15, 2009
    Here is another one with further reduction of colors - maybe still too complex for a real cartoon, but maybe that has to do with the choice of image as well

513485874_DgWob-L.jpg

Surely we have some other cartoonists around here.

Come'on guys, jump in here!

The outlining of the shapes with black lines is part of the process of draganizing as well I believe. I find myself using it more and more.

513496079_msrLE-X2.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin