#23 Possibility

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited April 16, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
So on my way back from out of town yesterday, I spotted this example of an earlier-style Mickey D's which totally grabbed my eye. I only had the point-n-shoot so had to make do with its lower resolution and limited control, but.... this is what I got. I sure wish I'd had a tripod and my dslr!! A reshoot is, alas, impossible, since it's a long way from home - this is the best of the ones I grabbed.

I know that technically the shot has its limitations (sadly, this is after a fair bit of pp and noise-reduction work), but I do love what it represents. I can clone out some of the background which does help clean it up because I find the lack of clarity bothers me more in that than the main subject, but I kind of liked the Subway sign for the thematic element so left it in for this preliminary effort.

Title would be along the lines of "All kinds of saturation - color, market and fat".

Thoughts? Are the technical flaws a dealbreaker?

512851132_W59Vi-L.jpg

Comments

• GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2009
    While the sign does have a nostalgic feel, compositionally this is dull. If a reshoot were possible, I'd get up to some wacky, dynamic angles. See what it's like shooting from almost underneath, to the side, and cropped in closer. A straight on, whole shot like this is just recording what's there, and not really adding your own artistic twist to it. Maybe you can play with some fun angles and crops in pp.

As for the title, I think you're trying to explain your reasoning for the shot too much. Just leave it at "Color, Market and Fat" and leave the viewer to ponder it for a minute.
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2009
    Ha! That was precisely my first idea for the title, but then I 2nd-guessed myself and decided it was too obtuse. I should trust my instincts next time.... :D

Fair cop on all points. I would have LOVED to play around with angles (the main building was kinda cool, too) but, alas, I'm a wimp when it comes to crawling around deserted parking lots in a sketchy part of New Jersey late at night... I was on my own, so had nobody to watch my back and decided to stay safely INside the car.... rolleyes1.gif

I think I'll abandon this image, but try to find another way of depicting the title, which I kind of like. Thanks for the feedback! thumb.gif

(PS GREAT to see you participating as an entrant!!!)
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited April 16, 2009
    wow I havent seen the arches like this in years!! I think they are up to at least over 100 BILLION sold by now!! I agree with the assesments that Emily gave and glad you are rethinking.